Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer sightings this week........

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
In the SE where I hunted to fill a couple doe tags proved much more difficult than predicted.

Deer seen:
Mon:0
Tues:0
Wed.:0
Thurs:3(all does) no high percentage shots, didn't shoot
Fri: 1 (small doe offered chip shot at 40yards broadside) passed because our group already took 3 does in our area and lack of sightings. Only hunted till noon and left for home.

It was very discouraging to say the least but we do still have a lot of standing corn BUT after dark still not seeing much movement around these fields like years past. Harvest numbers will be very interesting during muzzy season if these fields are finally picked.

REDARROW7

That is awesome a few of you are seeing deer , i live in knox county and hunt in 2 neighboring counties we are seeing first hand what liberal 6 deer counties and especially legalized poaching (nuisance permits) have done , very few deer seen and few shots heard , we hope this changes this year , we use to have a good herd , but it is now at a scary low situation , our neighboring farmers have massacred our herd ( gun shots thru the night late summer ) now it feels odd seeing a deer
no more evening drives to look at the deer before season , they are only ghosts of the past
very sad if you are an avid bowhunter like our neighborhood is , when you complain all you hear is how the ohio herd is up / that isn't working anymore , we are tired of their number comments around here , granted in some areas it is decent , but in alot of areas it is threatened , please share your comments.

REDARROW7

Please say no to pay hunts and land leasing , that will be the end of our true hunting heritage eventually without question!

Godbless all my hunting brothers with free land like the old days to hunt as we were mean't to , together ethically and free!

saddlepants

central Ohio
Welcome Redarrow. This is a great forum - lots of great guys here...then there is me:smiley_bril: I dont understand about the land leasing though. Maybe Im confused. If I could afford to lease land its seems it would be safer and less crowded and better opp for conservation on the deer harvested. Just having permission would be great but thats even hard to come by. Now Pay hunts are different - to me thats just greed. Besides : according to the "land use act" in Ohio if you charge someone a fee to use your land for recreational purposes you are liable if they get hurt. When you lease you are a renter and liable for yourself as if it were your own land.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That is awesome a few of you are seeing deer , i live in knox county and hunt in 2 neighboring counties we are seeing first hand what liberal 6 deer counties and especially legalized poaching (nuisance permits) have done , very few deer seen and few shots heard , we hope this changes this year , we use to have a good herd , but it is now at a scary low situation , our neighboring farmers have massacred our herd ( gun shots thru the night late summer ) now it feels odd seeing a deer
no more evening drives to look at the deer before season , they are only ghosts of the past
very sad if you are an avid bowhunter like our neighborhood is , when you complain all you hear is how the ohio herd is up / that isn't working anymore , we are tired of their number comments around here , granted in some areas it is decent , but in alot of areas it is threatened , please share your comments.

Welcome.. Look back through some threads. We have plenty about how the dnr is screwing the deer population.. And I'm sure there will be plenty more.. But if you ask the dnr.. You either forgot how to hunt, didn't adapt to changing food sources, weather, or some mumblings about roadkilled squirrels... Yes.. That was actually used as supporting evidence to low kill numbers by our head Ohio wildlife biologist Mike talkashit.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Man..

I just pulled a cam yesterday that was on a trail leading to corn. It was in the field for three weeks. 71 pics.... 15 of squirrels, 7 yote pics, one raccoon and 3 doe pics. The rest were buck pics. I am going to make a parody wrap song of "Wheres my does at?" and have my trail cam pics flipping in the background of all buck pics and the 7 for the season doe pics (three are of the same doe that has a double throat patch. Lesbian? lol).

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I barely heard any shots the whole time I was out there. My dad and buddy where out on Monday and heard maybe 2-3. I was out Sat and it was awesome weather, heard 1 or two. Asked the kid across the street who hunts some amazing 200 acres. They had 2-3 groups of 5 out there and didnt see a thing. I am telling you guys, somethings up! Deer dont just dissapear like this. They dont all go nocturnal and there is not a reason for them to. This year has been the worst I have ever heard for hunting. Alot of bucks early on around halloweenish up to a little after Thanksgiving. Now noone is seeing jack. This is crazy!!

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Man..

I just pulled a cam yesterday that was on a trail leading to corn. It was in the field for three weeks. 71 pics.... 15 of squirrels, 7 yote pics, one raccoon and 3 doe pics. The rest were buck pics. I am going to make a parody wrap song of "Wheres my does at?" and have my trail cam pics flipping in the background of all buck pics and the 7 for the season doe pics (three are of the same doe that has a double throat patch. Lesbian? lol).

Isn't that weird? Its the same up here. Between Denny, Dave, my dad and I we have all seen bucks, but hardly any doe and the place we are at is usually money for doe. You could go any day of the week and arrow one. Now they are gone, well all are gone. I just find it odd. That was all early season though.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I barely heard any shots the whole time I was out there. My dad and buddy where out on Monday and heard maybe 2-3. I was out Sat and it was awesome weather, heard 1 or two. Asked the kid across the street who hunts some amazing 200 acres. They had 2-3 groups of 5 out there and didnt see a thing. I am telling you guys, somethings up! Deer dont just dissapear like this. They dont all go nocturnal and there is not a reason for them to. This year has been the worst I have ever heard for hunting. Alot of bucks early on around halloweenish up to a little after Thanksgiving. Now noone is seeing jack. This is crazy!!

And now you see how i was feeling 3 years ago when i was screaming that I think aliens abducted our deer.... But the truth is they're dead.. Gone... Don't exist...

rgecko23 said:
Isn't that weird? Its the same up here. Between Denny, Dave, my dad and I we have all seen bucks, but hardly any doe and the place we are at is usually money for doe. You could go any day of the week and arrow one. Now they are gone, well all are gone. I just find it odd. That was all early season though.

Nope... Not weird.. Logical... Deer are born on a 50/50 sex ratio... We can only kill 1 buck a year.. However, we can kill between 100% and 600% more does than bucks... But the does have been slaughtered thanks to high bag limits and a bonus gun season. And they're not going to recover unless something changes in Columbus. Even then it will only change enough so as to keep the deer at current levels...

Last edited:

epe

Lancaster
Saw 10 deer in two days. Used to see a lot more. Heard very few shots.. Think I am going to take up squirrel hunting again..

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
And now you see how i was feeling 3 years ago when i was screaming that I think aliens abducted our deer.... But the truth is they're dead.. Gone... Don't exist...

Nope... Not weird.. Logical... Deer are born on a 50/50 sex ratio... We can only kill 1 buck a year.. However, we can kill between 100% and 600% more does than bucks... But the does have been slaughtered thanks to high bag limits and a bonus gun season. And they're not going to recover unless something changes in Columbus. Even then it will only change enough so as to keep the deer at current levels...

I am totally with you dude, the numbers are waaaay down and if they (ODNR) cant figure it out, then they need people in there who know how to do the job correctly!

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
I hunted public land in Athens on Monday, hunted dark to sunset and saw 1 BB at 7:30am. Hunted public again on Sunday and in the AM saw 8 does, to deep in the thicket for a clear shot. In the PM had a 7 point walk by the blind at 3:30 PM. While taking the blind down scared off another deer headed our way so 10 seen in 2 days of hunting. Pretty normal from previous years.