Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer sightings this week........

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
With the talk of reduce deer #'s I am curious to see what everyone has seen this week (if you have been out). I hunted with my father yesterday all day and this morning. Here's what we saw..........

Wednesday morning
Me- 0
Father- 1 doe

Wednesday evening
Me- 2 doe
Father- 3 (including a nice 140" 10pt we have on cam)

Thursday morning
Me- 8 (7 doe and 1 spike buck)
father- slept in LOL

Deer sightings for us has been above average so far. Wednesday the wind was tough to hunt in. I was going to take a doe this morning after seeing so many but decided not to because A) the only ones that presented a shot were small immature deer (the older mature doe I wanted stayed behind brush) B) I like seeing deer!!!!

I'm not heart broken if I don't shoot a deer. I like seeing them anymore as much as pulling the trigger.

The hunting pressure around us has been very light so the deer have been moving in some what of a regular pattern. Both bucks we saw were chasing after does which was interesting. I plan to head back down to the property on Saturday when every swinging d!ck with a shotgun will be out hunting.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
I saw 11 deer monday and tuesday. Today I saw at least 70... What a difference some cold weather does.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I didn't see any. Some of us have to work every now and then. lol Hope to finish up the work in the morning and try to get out Friday afternoon, and all day Saturday/Sunday. Good luck this weekend Darron.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
No offense, I find that very hard to believe.

Trust me... Don't.. lol... I was up there tonight.. Only had 45 min before last legal light. Saw 2... Got in the truck to leave an the neighboring field had 17 total in 3 groups. Down the road a half mile another field with 10. That's 29 deer in an hour.. All within 1.5 miles square

Last edited:

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
Trust me... Don't.. lol... I was up there tonight.. Only had 45 min before last legal light. Saw 2... Got in the truck to leave an the neighboring field had 17 total in 3 groups. Down the road a half mile another field with 10. That's 29 deer in an hour.. All within 1.5 miles square

Now I know why you stopped hunting VC. Looks like I might put my scouting efforts up North next year if there really are that many deer. Seeing 70 deer hunting while in the stand and seeing 70 deer in the fields as you drive back is a little different. If Boyd really did see 70 deer while on stand then the state needs to focus their antlerless harvests in that county instead of the SE part of the state.

Last edited:

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Now I know why you stopped hunting VC. Looks like I might put my scouting efforts up North next year if there really are that many deer. Seeing 70 deer hunting while in the stand and seeing 70 deer in the fields as you drive back is a little different. If Boyd really did see 70 deer while on stand then the state needs to focus their antlerless harvests in that county instead of the SE part of the state.

Who said I was in a stand and saw them all??? But while actually hunting I did see at least 30 of them. Saw the 4th largest buck of the year as well...

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Those deer are in a 1.5 square mile area that is 90% fields. My stand is in the wooded finger that makes up maybe 10% of the 3 properties.. .. So not really.. I bet at some point this season every one of them has walked past my stand. They don;t have much woods in there. There we're also 6 other people hunting the property that I saw when leaving.. 2 in the large woodblock right in the middle. And 3 on the south side. And get this.. Not one shot did I hear in the time i was there (last hour of light)... Doesn't matter what the state does, that's why they still have numbers in that area.. People don't blast to kill everything in sight like the do in Vinton county.

Last edited:

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Those deer are in a 1.5 square mile area that is 90% fields. My stand is in the wooded finger that makes up maybe 10% of the 3 properties.. .. So not really.. I bet at some point this season every one of them has walked past my stand. They don;t have much woods in there. There we're also 6 other people hunting the property that I saw when leaving.. 2 in the large woodblock right in the middle. And 3 on the south side. And get this.. Not one shot did I hear in the time i was there (last hour of light)... Doesn't matter what the state does, that's why they still have numbers in that area.. People don't blast to kill everything in sight like the do in Vinton county.

I heard 6 shots all day and 2 were from me blastin at a coyote...lol... You don't see any pics of it

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I heard 6 shots all day and 2 were from me blastin at a coyote...lol... You don't see any pics of it

I will give you some lessons. I learned everything I know about shooting from Ray Charles. :smiley_crocodile:

saddlepants

central Ohio
Five on monday. One buck and doe too far. Three does runnin from a fire. Thats it. Was out Monday all day but lunch and Tuesday and yesterday morning. Oh wait - one lonely young doe trying to cross the road without her mama on the way home monday night.

lung buster

hocking county
I haven't hit it all that hard this year. I've been taking my boy and I've only taken a gun twice. Here is our week so far:
Mon. 0
Tues. 1
Thurs. 5
Fri. 0
Sightings are way down but I'm not at all shocked after the kind of bow season I've had. I've heard the least amount of shots as any year that I remember. I think the crappy weather on Mon and tues may of been a blessing for the herd.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Today was my first day out this week. I sat patiently from dark to dark and didn't see a thing. I sat in a stand that I hung specifically for shotgun/muzzy that can see a long way. I was overlooking a 2 year old timbered flat to my south and to my north is a wide brushy creek bottom. I can see a long way in all directions from this stand. Today was the first time I was in the stand this year. To not see a single deer today blew me away. It was 31 when I left the truck in the morning and 36 when I got in it tonight. Slight breeze kicked up in the morning and I had about an hour of light freezing rain/rain in the morning that was othrewise overcast. Afternoon/evening was real calm. Tough day. Back at it tomorrow.