Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hey you guys with trail cams and such...

saddlepants

central Ohio
Question. If you kill a Buck that has been actively working a scrape/rub lines do you notice if Other bucks work these same lines after he is gone? Like Should I expect this one area Im hunting to be worked in about the same lines next season as this buck if he gets shot?? Im sure scouting tells all, but I was just wondering what you have seen year after year. Im talking next season here.

The place I used to hunt and scout had active "trails" some were like freeways for YEARS for the does and bucks and scrape, or rub lines would follow them in some places but would stay like 10-20 feet off the main trail

epe

Lancaster
Question. If you kill a Buck that has been actively working a scrape/rub lines do you notice if Other bucks work these same lines after he is gone? Like Should I expect this one area Im hunting to be worked in about the same lines next season as this buck if he gets shot?? Im sure scouting tells all, but I was just wondering what you have seen year after year. Im talking next season here.

The place I used to hunt and scout had active "trails" some were like freeways for YEARS for the does and bucks and scrape, or rub lines would follow them in some places but would stay like 10-20 feet off the main trail

I have hunted this one property since I was twelve. Every year like clockwork scrapes show up in the same spots year after year...

old hunter

This year I lost two scrapes that I call perenial scrapes. They have been hit in exactly the same place for 15 years,but were not touched this year.I have one below my house that is a combination scrape and rub for about the last 15 years also,the tree got so thin from where it was being rubbed last year,the heavy snow broke it over and and about 8 to 10 bucks still rubbed the top of the tree for the last month,there is no bark on the tree hardly anywhere. It will probably die this year. That is the other thing it is unreal how many bucks hit the same rub or scrape. I have 8 cameras out and is is almost as much fun as hunting,ALmost.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I too have seen Big Mature Bucks take-over the same routs.....Must just be the perfect terrain, seclusion and paths to food from a good bedding area.

saddlepants

central Ohio
cool, thats good to know - it seems like a path all the way around a corn field and my woods has a small window of this scrape line. I saw three mature bucks this year but this are was hunted heavily yesterday across the corn field(considering the weather) So I wanted to know If I should really watch it next season and possibly put a cam up (if Santa loves me) for next season in the same area.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Here is a pic of a community rub I found...You can only see one side, but it is tore up like this all the way around. It sits in a transition spot on an old homestead which intersects 3 thickets...............Been like this for years, it's a cedar.
communitybuckrub1[1] (2).jpg

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've found if it was good enough to work for a mature buck one season, it is likely to work again with different bucks in different seasons. I have some scrapes on the farm that are always there and I have pics of mature bucks on them for six straight seasons. At my parents house, we have a scrape in the same spot every year and the same 4 cedar trees on this one ridge get pounded every year also. If the terrain and cover make a buck feel secure enough to mark his territory and there are no major changes to that terrain/cover, it is highly likely it'll be in use on an annual basis IMO...