Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Annual Thanksgiving Rabbit Hunt

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
A good friend who I've know since 1978 and I have been rabbit hunting together since then..... When our kids were born a year and half apart when they were older they started rabbit hunting with us and we always went out Thanksgiving day for a rabbit hunt, we've always had beagles and the kids always looked forward too it more so than going out on the weekends rabbit hunting lol... This year is no differant other than we've added other friend too the mix.... We should have 5 total this year some come out and some fade away but we've always had my son and some of his buddies.... My friends son is living in VA now and rarely makes it home but always tells me how he misses it when I see him..... So tomorrow morning the tradition continues and we'll be walking behind the beagles Penney and Katey waiting for them to jump a cotton tail and see which of the boys will be first to get one.....The boys are now in their mid 20's and are just as excited too go as they were in the first years of taking them out... They always ask if we're still going out Thanksgiving and I tell them till the day I die.... :smiley_coolpeace:

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Good luck out there tomorrow. I will have the boys out with young Molly and ol' Daisy. I'm sure ol' Pap Pap (my dad) will be taking his gun for a walk too. I'll let you know how Molly does.

J, as of right now, I'm glad I didn't go through with our drastic move. Although, there are some moments still! If she runs well I may be looking to breed her once if you know anyone that has a good male.

Keep me posted how ya do tomorrow. Hopefully we have some pics to put up!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Good luck out there tomorrow. I will have the boys out with young Molly and ol' Daisy. I'm sure ol' Pap Pap (my dad) will be taking his gun for a walk too. I'll let you know how Molly does.

J, as of right now, I'm glad I didn't go through with our drastic move. Although, there are some moments still! If she runs well I may be looking to breed her once if you know anyone that has a good male.

Keep me posted how ya do tomorrow. Hopefully we have some pics to put up!

Good luck too you and the Boys Mike.... Hoping your pup goes full circle tomorrow and as far as stud service I don't know of any males beagles that are available for stud service around me but if I do I'll let you know.... Did you try Mike too see if he knows of anyone???? I'll try too take pictures too put up tomorrow.....

Huckleberry Finn

Good luck fellas. I did 3 years in a row on Thanksgiving morning, and missed last year. Gonna go Saturday morning this year though, sucks to be not going tomorrow, but I'll be deer hunting and get to rabbit hunt all the same.

J - which 410 are you taking? Pump? S/S? O/U? Semi? Lever? Full-Auto? I know you've got 'em all hahaha

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
O/U Huck I'm hooked on it for now hahaha.... COB ruined me hahaha....

Kinda like the newest toy in the box right now!
Second season with it,right? (this year should be a lot of fun)

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Kinda like the newest toy in the box right now!
Second season with it,right? (this year should be a lot of fun)

You're right Jim... Second year with it and still just as fun as the first..... We had a really good day and I am 1 for 1 for the season :smiley_clap: All those years toting the 12's and the 16 gauge around and had the mentality of knock the brush down too get at it and have matured over the years and wait for the shot and pass it up if it doesn't pan out and wait for it too come around again.... Finnesse is the game these days :smiley_blackeye:

Huckleberry Finn

Jesse it'd be a heck of a drive for you to hunt with me and the guy I go with...we should have a TOO rabbit hunt at Cottis's...

Rabbit hunting is a different way of hunting, but very enjoyable. Just a good time and of course you aren't stuck in one location and can talk (great for kids).

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've been a few times and really enjoy it. I've been thinking about getting a dog. The wife loves beagles and I like to train dogs. Don't know what I am doing in the case of a beagle, but I can educate myself as we go along. I walked around today with Remi and the Benelli. He flushed two rabbits and treed a squirrel. He has no idea what he is doing, but it works sometimes! I was more or less just letting him blow of steam, but if he smells a rabbit, he's on it. And the squirrel was an accident I think, but he ran it up a tree and then barked at it and sat down at the base of the tree. I shot the poor bastard out of principle! LOL! Figured the reward might mean I end up with a squirrel hunting lab!!! lmao

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'd come up for that if the wife could go. She's itching to shoot something! LOL! That girl loves to shoot trap and has been BEGGING to go duck hunting. I need to get her on the water and in the woods!!!

Huckleberry Finn

Let's plan something for late season...and something that a lot of guys could do, just gotta line up some land and we're set...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
J- I'm still going to hold you to that rabbit hunt.

Your at the top of the list Jim..... Once things with the Holidays setlle down I'll get with Sam and We'll set it up..... Also want to make it south ward too hunt bunnies with Cotty and Fred I think that would be a blast hahaha should be a big too rabbit fest..... make it an annual thing and move it around the State lol.....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sadly, this is one tradition that has fell apart for my family. Up until a few years ago, the Thanksgiving rabbit hunt was a given for about 10 years running. Unfortunately, as we got older and people acquired other obligations, it has become much tougher for eveyone to get together for a hunt. It's a shame, too... We've accumulated some great memories over the years from those hunts. Rabbit hunting sure is a blast.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Sadly, this is one tradition that has fell apart for my family. Up until a few years ago, the Thanksgiving rabbit hunt was a given for about 10 years running. Unfortunately, as we got older and people acquired other obligations, it has become much tougher for eveyone to get together for a hunt. It's a shame, too... We've accumulated some great memories over the years from those hunts. Rabbit hunting sure is a blast.

Kinda that has happened here TOO but, I go anyway... if nothing else than just to "reflect"