Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Son's first deer

Hunter II

Congrats to the hunter and the dad! I've been using 70 gr 777 under a 300 gr Hornady XTP in a Knight Wolverine for my son since he was 7. The weight of muzzleloader really soaks up the recoil.

lung buster

hocking county
My son was able to kill his 2nd & 3rd deer during muzzy season. Saturday morning we jumped deer when we arrived at the blind and we seen nothing the rest of the hunt. That evening we snuck back to the blind and there was a deer already in the food plot. I was able to get a primer in his gun and as deer was was crossing in front of us at 25 yds Andrew said dad I can't shoot, my ear muffs are in the blind. I told him that it would be ok but he refused to shoot. We watched the deer run up the hill and luckily it never snorted. We made it into the blind and all was quiet until around 4:45 when I seen a lone doe making it's way off the hill. After Andrew was able to get his hearing protection on he shot her at 25 yds. She ran about 60 yds and was done. Sunday evening we made it back out and seen nothing. Monday we couldn't go until after school and we didn't make it up there until a little after 4:00. Around 4:45 I heard some deer coming and my dad seen them step into the plot. I told Andrew to shoot the biggest one. He ended up shooting the smaller one of the two but it really didn't matter. She ran about 50 yds up the hill and rolled just about back down into the food plot. My dad was unable to be with us when Andrew got his first but he was with us when he got these two. When we started out I figured that it would be quite the task to get a 6 year old his first deer. I never imagined that he would kill 3! He is an amazing kid and his mom and I could not be prouder! This season has been the best of any of the 20 or so that I've been hunting. I don't care if I ever kill another one as long as I'm able to be with Andrew while he is doing his thing!

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I think this is one of the best stories to read about all season! Congratulations to the boy, and the whole family for that matter - Great Job Dad!
LB, did he help with the field dressing and processing?

lung buster

hocking county
LB, did he help with the field dressing and processing?
On his first he kind of stayed back and watched from a distance. The last two he was down with me checking out the heart,liver and lungs. He has watched/helped skin squirrels for years so he is kind of used to that sort of thing.
Thanks to all for the congrats. Andrew is a very good reader and has read the posts.