Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

CVA Optima/loads.

twireman

Kingston, OH
Getting a new Optima for christmas. Figured some guys on here have one and curious what loads/powders work best for ya. I don't plan on shooting past 100 yards.

Thanks in advance.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
If you don't plan to shoot past 100 yards, I'd go with 100 grains of Triple 7 pellets from Pyrodex and couple that with a 295 grain Powerbelt Aerotip bullet. I've been shooting this combo for 5-6 years now out of my old Optima and my Optima Elite. The 100 grains of pellets is pretty standard and what 90% of us shoot in our muzzys. I like the 295 grain bullet because of the knock down power it delivers and IMO, the Powerbelts are the best bullets on the market.

twireman

Kingston, OH
Yeah I really didnt' see any point in going with 150 grains of powder. I shot 777 out of my old remington inline as well. Thanks for the advice.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Same here except I use a 245 grain powerbelt hollowpoint and it knocks the shit out of them.....and it shoots a little flatter than 295 grain. Either combo will work great. I have 2 different muzzleloaders, a CVA Kodiak pro and a T/C Triumph and shoot the same loads out of both.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
The CVA I had didn't like Powerbelts. Hell, none of my muzzleloaders have liked the Powerbelts. Acceptible? Yes. Best of all available? No.

In the Optima Elite I had it liked 100 grains of 777 pellets and the 250 grain T/C Shockwave Boolits. It REALLY liked 120 grains of powder (loose) and the 300 grain boolits from T/C

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
CVA recommends powerbelts in their guns, or at least they did a few years ago??? I have an uncle that shoots T/C shockwaves out of his CVA and it does shoot good also.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The CVA I had didn't like Powerbelts. Hell, none of my muzzleloaders have liked the Powerbelts. Acceptible? Yes. Best of all available? No.

In the Optima Elite I had it liked 100 grains of 777 pellets and the 250 grain T/C Shockwave Boolits. It REALLY liked 120 grains of powder (loose) and the 300 grain boolits from T/C

My T/C doesn't really like the powerbelts either... 295 or 245. I mean, they'll kill deer out of it, but the groups are extremely inconsistent. I like the T/C shockwaves myself.

If I remember correctly, I think I saw that Federal came out with some Barnes Expander muzzy rounds this year.... Love me them barnes expanders! Might have to give them a try.

twireman

Kingston, OH
Update on the new Optima. I shot it on Saturday.

Slapped the Leupold 2-7 muzzy scope on it. Loaded with 100gr 777 pellets. Remington Klean bore primers and 250gr Hornady SSST Lock-n-Load Sabot.
No bore sighting. Shot at 50 yards.

1st shot - 6" low 2" left
2nd shot - 4" low 2" left
3rd shot - 2" low 1" left
4 shot bullseye.

My favorite part is I had it cleaned up in under 5 minutes. So far so good!

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Good to hear twireman. I have been very very pleased with my Optima, and used the same load Jesse mentioned. I've shot about 40rds out of it with the 295 PB's and it's dead nuts at 100, about 3.5" low at 150. I just realized that I picked up 270 PB's the last time out, back to the range....

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Update on the new Optima. I shot it on Saturday.

Slapped the Leupold 2-7 muzzy scope on it. Loaded with 100gr 777 pellets. Remington Klean bore primers and 250gr Hornady SSST Lock-n-Load Sabot.
No bore sighting. Shot at 50 yards.

1st shot - 6" low 2" left
2nd shot - 4" low 2" left
3rd shot - 2" low 1" left
4 shot bullseye.

My favorite part is I had it cleaned up in under 5 minutes. So far so good!

Awesome man! Sounds like your ready to draw bubbly blood!