Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

When looking for a taxidermist how do you make your choice?

When you look for a taxidermist.

• Do you look for price?

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Do you look for quality no matter the price?

Votes: 13 86.7%
  • Do you just go to the guy down the street and hope to hell he knows what he is doing?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rossbows

From what I have seen this year most people just want it done cheap and done fast. They don't seem to care about the details to much. Im not cutting any corners on the mounts just had to find different suppliers to keep are cost down. The material cost have went up this past year and its hard because people bitch about the price. It has been a hard year. There is a new guy in are area doing them dirt cheap. Have not seen his work but guys say if we can't match his prices they will take it to him.

mrbowhunter

I notice inner ear detail. I also pay close attention to the eye and surrounding area. I pay close attention to the nose. I like it to look real. It should appear wet. I also like the whiskers around the nose to appear as though there are droplets of moisture dripping from them as if the deer were alive. I pay close attention to the muscle detail in the neck and chin. I look at as many photos and mounts that a new taxidermist has in the shop. I pay some attention to references by the processor but have to be careful that they aren't in cohoots. You do very nice work.

Last edited:

saddlepants

central Ohio
I like the eye ducts right and love it when there is little water droplets on the whiskers around the mouth. I look at the artists mounts on display to see unique forms used and character. I dont know how it works ( I wanna learn) but I also notice the deer from a pic and mounted and want it to look like him when done. The right form for the right head so to speak. My one cheap one lost his "swollen neck" in the process. On the wall pedestal I like that she used buckskin instead of felt. It cost more but made a difference. I dont like the eyes TOO wide open like I see on allot of mounts. BTW - anybody who wants it done cheap and fast hasnt had enough done to know the difference...I say this from experience. Cheap and fast wont last and it shows big time when you hang one near an artists work!!!!

Even tho I dont turkey hunt I look at the artists Turkey heads for detail and "ALIVE" before I get my deer done there.

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Sweet mount JD!

Cheap and fast is what people want until they learn from there mistakes. There are very few things in this world that are cheap, fast and quality. And when they have that trifecta it doesn't stay cheap or fast very long...

Once the "new" guy gets busy enough he will either raise prices, take too long or piss enough people off that you will get some back. Just ride it out and all will be well. I have to deal with "cut throat Charlies" on a weekly basis. I usually end up fixing there work....

Beentown