Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer Gun Season: Ground or Treestand?

During the Deer Gun Season, I have always hunted on the ground. As we all know, during this season a good location is very important.

I feel the need to be more mobil, should the need arise that I have to shift my location for a better shot. However, I have a good hunting buddy that swears by hunting from a treestand.

Do you hunt from the ground or a treestand? What's your reasoning?

Thnak you, Bowhunter57

Schu72

Streetsboro
Probably over 80% of my gun harvests have been from a tree stand. I'm usually set up where I can shoot a looonnng way.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Tree for safety's sake. I shot my buck from a tree last year. I think seeing a long way like Schu suggested is an advantage.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Both have advantages and disadvantages but I have had better luck from the ground over the years....

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
70% tree/30% GROUND
Unless the woods are wet from rain. then is 20%tree/80% ground; still hunting

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
In a tree for two reasons. One, I can see the deer better. Two, I can see the trespassers better.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It all would depend on the situation for me. If I'm hunting a spot that offers me a large vantage, I'll be in a tree without a doubt. Actually, I'd be in a tree in just about any situation. The only time I wouldn't be, is if there are no suitable trees nearby and/or if I have no idea what the deer movements are going to be like. If I'm totally in the dark about a hunting location, hunting from the ground would give more freedom to improvise.

I understand the sight advantage of being in a treestand, but I wouldn't say it's safer. I've heard more lead flying through the tree tops, than I have skipping off the ground. Plus, if I get a deer, the treestand is just one more thing that I have to carry out of the woods.

Bowhunter57

twireman

Kingston, OH
Monday I'm going in my climber and planning an all day sit. I can see a good ways from this spot and other hunters walking hopefully will help me out. Good luck everyone.