Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Early Muzzy season...could it be.....

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I hunted the early muzzleloader season at wildcat hollow several years ago and there were so many guys there it was a complete joke. As a result I never went back to hunt those seasons because I figured it would be the same thing and a waste of time. I wonder if anybody else vacated these hunts for the same reason?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Not necessarily. You have to remember that, in that same time period, the DOW did away with the restrictions on early muzzy season buck tags. So, everyone was allowed to shoot bucks, instead of just a select number of buck permits. I'd be willing to bet that there were a lot of anterless deer that received a "free pass" because of this. There are a lot of factors involved, man. You can't just assume that a decrease in harvest total is a direct result of a decrease in deer numbers. I'd be curious to see the trend in hunters participating in these early muzzy hunts over the years as well.

I don't have to assume it.. People are noticing it all over the state and the harvest numbers clearly support it... And the devil himself said it's his goal... No assumptions needed my friend.. :)

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't have to assume it.. People are noticing it all over the state and the harvest numbers clearly support it... And the devil himself said it's his goal... No assumptions needed my friend.. :)

The statewide harvest numbers, yes... Early muzzy harvest numbers, not necessarily. I'm just saying that I think there have been too many changes to use the early muzzy season numbers as any kind of an indicator.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
BTW, I think you got some fuzzy math going on because I'm not coming up with those percentages, Joe.

Antlerless Numbers From 2008 (The first year I started screaming about deer numbers declining) to 2010 (latest available data sample)

Salt Fork State Park
2010 (106)
2008 (196)

2008-2010 DOWN 54%

Wildcat Hollow
2010 - (75)
2008 - (100)
2008-2010 DOWN 25%

Shawnee
2010 (26)
2008 (47)

2008-2010 DOWN 55%

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The statewide harvest numbers, yes... Early muzzy harvest numbers, not necessarily. I'm just saying that I think there have been too many changes to use the early muzzy season numbers as any kind of an indicator.

So you're saying keep moving the target and nothing can be blamed? So long as we add extra tags, move zones, extend seasons, go telecheck. It should all just be thrown out? lol..... Nope.. Just another nail in the coffin brother... There is no one silver bullet to this problem... It is a accumulation of issues that have led to declining antlerless harvests. The results are evident.. No matter the Cause.. The result still exists.. And it's the result that's pissing people off.. Maybe not so much the result as deaf idiots here in columbus turning their backs on sportsmen, preferring the company of lobbyst instead.

Last edited:

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Now that you are set up in a honey hole Joe, are you as concerned about deer numbers as you were when confined to Vinton County?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Antlerless Numbers From 2008 (The first year I started screaming about deer numbers declining) to 2010 (latest available data sample)

Salt Fork State Park
2010 (106)
2008 (196)

2008-2010 DOWN 56% 196-106=90 90/196=46%
Wildcat Hollow
2010 - (75)
2008 - (100)
2008-2010 DOWN 25%

Shawnee
2010 (26)
2008 (47)

2008-2010 DOWN 55% 47-26=21 21/47=45%

Again, the years you're referencing are the years that did away with the limited buck tags. I guarantee there were a lot of guys driving down there to hunt for bucks and nothing else. It could easily skew the results.

this is the question i asked the odnr on there face book .

Hoot Mike Gibsonposted toOhio Division of Wildlife
can someone tell me how many hunters in zone three harvested all 6 of there deer last year , and 5 and 4 and so on? thanks ,
Like · · Yesterday at 9:05am ·

Nicholas Lilly likes this.
Lee Cornelius Closest I can find is:
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/New...rs-Lead-Ohio-in-Number-of-Deer-Harvested.aspx

It's not what you want though. Levi should know where to find it...
News Release Archives
www.dnr.state.oh.us
News Release Archives
Yesterday at 10:09am · Like
Ohio Division of Wildlife I'm looking into this. It is rare for a hunter to shoot more than one or two deer in a season. I think most hunters can attest to that, no matter how hard they try!
Yesterday at 10:42am · Like
John Michaels I was told by the summit county DOW officer last year, that less than a tenth of one percent of hunters will take more than 4 deer a year.
8 hours ago · Like
Ohio Division of Wildlife
In data from 2006, our biologist estimated that 79% of successful hunters (those that actually killed a deer) harvested more than one deer. He thinks that number has probably lowered to about 70% by now. Only 3% of successful hunters killed three or more deer in a season. 0.17% of successful hunters killed five or more.

Thanks to our new game check system, we will much more easily be able to determine these numbers beginning this year.
4 hours ago · Like
John Michaels Thanks for filling in my faulty memory with real facts.
4 hours ago · Like
Ohio Division of Wildlife John, you were pretty close!!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
The city of Toledo, Perrysburg, Sylvania, Maumee and Ottawa Hills to name a few (NW Ohio), are absolutely clogged with deer. These deer are not going to leave the safety of the cities and are not going to go away. I think it's time to open up these cities to bow hunting opportunities.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
The city of Toledo, Perrysburg, Sylvania, Maumee and Ottawa Hills to name a few (NW Ohio), are absolutely clogged with deer. These deer are not going to leave the safety of the cities and are not going to go away. I think it's time to open up these cities to bow hunting opportunities.

I would like to sit on bluegrass island during the rut...

rossbows

I talked to a odnr rep today. Asked him about the deer count he said they are trying to keep the state heard in th 450000 range. The reason they want to do the early muzzleloader season in c is the heard is to big. He also told me the farm bureau wants the odnr to bring the heard count down to 250000 what a joke.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I talked to a odnr rep today. Asked him about the deer count he said they are trying to keep the state heard in th 450000 range. The reason they want to do the early muzzleloader season in c is the heard is to big. He also told me the farm bureau wants the odnr to bring the heard count down to 250000 what a joke.

Make no mistake... We're gonna get fugged.

Darron

Dayton, Ohio

That's a crock..............

If the herd drops to 250,000 this cowboy will take up knitting before I sit and rot in the deer woods all season.

The farmers complain about the deer but they won't let anyone hunt. Anyone try to gain access in SW Ohio recently? Pretty damn tough to get on new ground and when you do get on new ground half the county hunts it. Seems like there's no in-between.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

If the herd drops to 250,000 this cowboy will take up knitting before I sit and rot in the deer woods all season.

The farmers complain about the deer but they won't let anyone hunt. Anyone try to gain access in SW Ohio recently? Pretty damn tough to get on new ground and when you do get on new ground half the county hunts it. Seems like there's no in-between.

Agreed... If it gets that bad screw the bow, I'll just shoot a doe with a rifle to eat and be done.. What's the DNR care.. It's just one less doe.. Should make the farmers and insurance companies happy, hell, they shoot them with rifles all the time..

Get a coon dog... Plenty of coons out there.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio

DITTO!! Ain't that the truth! I'm in Warren Co.