Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Early Muzzy season...could it be.....

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I never had a doe in bow range in my county the entire first 5 weeks of bow season this year....I went to a different location in Ohio, more south and central and saw more does than I ever thought possible. I think there are pockets of good populations and areas of sparse populations. From what I'm reading here is that we are all in agreement that there is no need for an early muzzleloader season. If you can't seem to fill any tags then you need to try and find multiple hunting locations in different areas of the state or county you live in. To sit here and complain that there aren't enough deer because the state isn't providing them for you is in my opinion making excuses. If your hunting area isn't producing the number of deer you want to see, then go hunt elsewhere......create habitat and food sources.....buy land and manage it for yourself. There are a lot of things the average guy can do to increase his chances no matter what the ODNR decides to do. If you are serious enough about hunting then you will do what it takes to make yourself successful.

I had a big long thing types up but Gern has to be trolling here.

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
I must be in a totally different state or something...

I take it you have no problem with seeing deer? Your hunting area has not seen a decrease in population?

If I remember correctly you hunt in champaign and surrounding counties. If it is as tough to get on ground to deer hunt as it is to waterfowl hunt up there I know why the deer pop is doing well ;)

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We have plenty of deer. Its just a matter of perspective. My perspective was altered for ten or fifteen years because I got used to seeing deer. Apparently that is a bad thing. Thankfully, through liberal bag limits, and no good way to factor in fawn mortality, the DOW has again altered my perspective. I killed my buck on November 8th. I had seen a grand total of 7 deer from the stands in the month and a half of season previous. I killed one of them, a doe on a property where the landowner is convinced there are too many. That doe, and the buck I shot, are the only two deer I have had in range. BtW, I hunt 4-6 days a week, usually just mornings until 11 or so. I should say before someone points out that I may be over-hunting and burning out stands...no I am not. I have plenty of stands and keep em fresh! I feel safe in saying there aren't near as many deer in my area... Who cares if they add more gun days? Really, most folks in my neck of the woods aren't gonna see anything to shoot at anyway.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
I take it you have no problem with seeing deer? Your hunting area has not seen a decrease in population?

If I remember correctly you hunt in champaign and surrounding counties. If it is as tough to get on ground to deer hunt as it is to waterfowl hunt up there I know why the deer pop is doing well ;)

No,no, yes and yes...lol

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
When I was a kid, everyone went to SE Ohio to hunt. There were hardly any deer in the counties west of RT 23. Maybe that is the goal again of the DOW...hehe Why would anyone want to be able to see good numbers of deer right out their back door if they don't live in the SE part of the state?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Does anyone know who many hunters actually tag more than one deer a season? I am digging like crazy but cant come up with it REX gave me a link to it a couple years ago. and i was really surprised. it was like 5-7 percent of all deer hunters take 3 or more deer per season....more people only took 1 deer a year by a substantial margin... i will keep looking.

Honestly, Milo, I think the booming coyote population has more to do with the decline than two legged hunters. Unfortunately, given the number of hunters, liberal bag limits, and the fact that a good number of "dead deer" arent recovered due to the fact that so many have gotten into archery hunting (and many are doing a poor job of it), then add in yotes that hunt without limits and are very effective...well, its just tough to be a deer these days.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I had a big long thing types up but Gern has to be trolling here.

I live in the NW part of the state that has the FEWEST deer in the entire state of Ohio year in and year out. I don't think I'm trolling. What prevents you from looking elsewhere if you aren't happy about seeing less deer on some of the farms you hunt? The main farm I hunt for bucks on had a lot of does on it 3-4 years ago. Now in the last 2 years it's a big deal if I see more than 1 doe or yearling on a given hunt. I am not going to sit here and deny there are less deer, but I am taking it for what it is and hunting and enjoying it along the way. I hunted hard during the first week of November here and got skunked 6 out of 8 hunts...... Then I went elsewhere and saw plenty of deer. Not trying to piss in anybody's beer here, just saying you have to keep on trying and continuing to hunt different places even if they are only a mile down the road.

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
there is appears to be a general consensus that the deer do the same thing or stay in the same area every year. this is just not true. they move and setup shop on different properties throughout the the year and years as habitat and pressure changes. for instance i went on for years killing deer at my house by by the boat loads..filled multiple tags every year for like 5...i backed off 3na years ago and now in year 3, i am seeing less deer than i have ever seen. i have taken 2 deer in the last 3 years off my place...lots of factors effecting their movement

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
there is appears to be a general consensus that the deer do the same thing or stay in the same area every year. this is just not true. they move and setup shop on different properties throughout the the year and years as habitat and pressure changes. for instance i went on for years killing deer at my house by by the boat loads..filled multiple tags every year for like 5...i backed off 3na years ago and now in year 3, i am seeing less deer than i have ever seen. i have taken 2 deer in the last 3 years off my place...lots of factors effecting their movement

I agree with that being a factor. But, I have hunted most of Morrow County. The only area that had similar numbers to a few years ago is on the Knox line. But it does seem like an awful lot of good habitat going to waste.

To boil it down to what I am seeing...
I literally have over 6K acres of property available to me. Have I hunted all of it? No. Could I ignore other parts of my life to see more deer? Yes.

But I sat down and figured it up. I have hunted 9 different properties that total right at 2000 acres admittedly looking for bucks. I have seen or have pics of 21 different bucks (may have been more but some look similar) and a total, total of 4 does. I know that no does were taken on three of the properties in the last 4 years (legally anyway).

I have one property that is my "doe" spot that I cannot hunt until late season. I am sure I will get a chance or two at does later.

Do I believe the sky has fallen yet? No. I see it starting to sag though.

Time, effort, cost > enjoyment, sightings

I want the equation to flip. If that makes me a whiner then so be it. It gets much worse and I will take that time, effort and $ to do something else. Maybe a few other whiners will to. Too early to tell.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I agree with that being a factor. But, I have hunted most of Morrow County. The only area that had similar numbers to a few years ago is on the Knox line. But it does seem like an awful lot of good habitat going to waste.

To boil it down to what I am seeing...
I literally have over 6K acres of property available to me. Have I hunted all of it? No. Could I ignore other parts of my life to see more deer? Yes.

But I sat down and figured it up. I have hunted 9 different properties that total right at 2000 acres admittedly looking for bucks. I have seen or have pics of 21 different bucks (may have been more but some look similar) and a total, total of 4 does. I know that no does were taken on three of the properties in the last 4 years (legally anyway).

I have one property that is my "doe" spot that I cannot hunt until late season. I am sure I will get a chance or two at does later.

Do I believe the sky has fallen yet? No. I see it starting to sag though.

Time, effort, cost > enjoyment, sightings

I want the equation to flip. If that makes me a whiner then so be it. It gets much worse and I will take that time, effort and $ to do something else. Maybe a few other whiners will to. Too early to tell.

i can understand that for sure. but having too many deer is a real problem for the state of ohio. the state only sees us as a part of the equation...as they should. i'm hunting no matter what the herd size because it is what i do.. i still remember when my dad and uncle told me about the day they saw their first deer ever..

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Damn, just when I figured they would be backing off on our early season "anterless" permits due a decreasing doe population (in my area and IMO), they consider adding an early season muzzeloader hunt... sweet!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
You know what data we should be looking at is from salt fork because they have had an early muzzeloader season for YEARS..i killed my first buck on that early muzzeloader season.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
i can understand that for sure. but having too many deer is a real problem for the state of ohio. the state only sees us as a part of the equation...as they should. i'm hunting no matter what the herd size because it is what i do.. i still remember when my dad and uncle told me about the day they saw their first deer ever..

Thank you! This is precisely my opinion on this issue. IMO, guys that don't like what is going on are the ones that got "used to" seeing a bunch of deer while growing up. It's all relative, fellas... Grow up deer hunting in NW Ohio and then try to tell me you're not seeing enough deer. Over the past decade, the deer population has consistently been on the rise... resulting in your prolific deer sightings in SE Ohio. The goal of the DOW has always been to stop this population increase and reduce the herd... I think finally, this is starting to happen. It was inevitable, guys. Whether you want to believe it or not, IMHO the DOW is doing what is best for EVERYONE in the state of Ohio... not just deer hunters.

Lundy

I guess it all a matter of perspective.

When I first was permitted to deer hunt with my father and brother was in 1968. We hunted in Hocking county not far of off Rt 188, It was news if you saw a deer during an entire days sit. If you saw ANY deer 2-3 days out of 6 (no Sunday Hunting back then) it was a great week. Does were not legal. I shot my first deer, a buck, in 1971. It took me 4 years to see a legal buck that was in range.

If you saw a rub or a scrape you were extremely excited. There were not well defined deer trails, there weren't enough deer to make them. Just deer tracks alone were enough to discuss at days end.

I always want to see deer when I go deer hunting, and it is tough not to now days, but I don't get too upset if I'm not seeing high numbers or numerous big bucks. There are still a lot of deer in this state, especially compared to where we came from.

I do tend to chuckle a little when I see the threads about no deer, or the bucks aren't moving, or where are the big bucks, the rut isn't going in my area, etc, etc, etc. Just seems a little spoiled to me, like some expect a big buck to hit the scrape you are watching every 30 minutes, all day, every day.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Not trying to piss in anybody's beer here, just saying you have to keep on trying and continuing to hunt different places even if they are only a mile down the road.

So you are saying I should just suck it up and ignore the fact the deer herd on and surrounding my future inheritance is being pounded to the point of nothing?!? That I should just accept the fact that numbers have declined drastically since we bought it and it is not from over harvest on my part?You mentioned making improvements last night. Since the first corn purchase on June 3rd this year, I have spent over $1K on corn. My total bill on food plots this year was just over $475 and took up 30+ hours of my time. I'm doing what I can to make our property more attractive and it should result in increased sightings. But when there are less deer, it doesn't translate.

I understand changes in the local habitat, pressure, and certainly the weather can impact my sightings. What I want you all to understand is that I have been running 5 or more cameras for 5 years now and the camera data is really what has me up in arms right now. I need to go back and search through some old pictures, but I can easily document a decline in overall deer numbers since 2009 on our place and we have only killed 3 deer in that time.

I jumped all around the county this year hunting 4 different properties and have been road scouting a good bit this month. In addition to this, I talk to as many bowhunters as I can to see what their feedback is regarding deer movement. Two things you are most likely to hear from bowhunters in Washington County are: "I think the coyotes are killing a good bit of fawns..." and "You just don't see deer (in the fields) like you used to..." Some people will include the "in the fields" portion, while others will just say they are seeing less deer. I've talked to 30+ bowhunters this year and I'd say at least 25 of them have more negative things to say than positive about the season and the status quo down here. If I'm listening to Chad, we should all just pack up and abandon Washington County (our own home turf) and go somewhere to clog up the works...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I do tend to chuckle a little when I see the threads about no deer, or the bucks aren't moving, or where are the big bucks, the rut isn't going in my area, etc, etc, etc. Just seems a little spoiled to me, like some expect a big buck to hit the scrape you are watching every 30 minutes, all day, every day.

I'm not that guy. I have the data through logs and pictures from 2005 to current to back up what I am saying. I've never seen a big buck hit a scrape in the day light from a stand, so I'm the last guy to expect that and rarely hunt over a single scrape. Perhaps I was/am spoiled considering I didn't start seriously hunting until 2004 when numbers we unreal where I was hunting. It was nothing to drive a 300 yard long, 100 yard wide draw behind my parents in late season and push out 25 deer. I bet I couldn't push 5 out of there now. Since I was 13, I have roamed those woods and I can tell you things have changed big time since then, and particularly since we went to 6 tags...

I don't need to see deer every hunt to be happy, although it does help. I don't need to see a big buck more than a couple times a year to be happy. And I'm not so much bitching about this from a personal standpoint, but looking forward to the future when I have kids. When we mirror the PA of the early 2000's here in 5-6 years, I'll be sure to revive this thread...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

You are correct.. We are only part of the equation... But we're the part that pays the bills.... What portion of the ODNR budget is funds gained from insurance companies?? What part of their budget is funds gained from Joe Farmer? While I agree they need to "balance the herd" they also need to realize who pays the fuggin bills. The answer for the first two questions is nada.. Farmers get crop damage or landowner their tags resulting ZERO funding to the DNR. Insurance companies pay NOTHING into the DNR coffers.. (except the people on the lobbyist take)... I say let them eat steak. It is true that the DNR needs to "balance" the herd.. But what they have now is anything but balanced.. How can it be "balanced" if you've decimated the rural population while ignoring the booming urban population.....

Why isn't the DNR out lobbying their ass off to these cities to allow more hunting... Why isn't the DNR playing hardball with these cities over opening more areas to hunting? Why aren't the playing budgetary games with these parks trying to force the issue? What are they doing to reduce urban numbers besides hiring snipers and net and bolt teams from out of state........

The answer to this is quite simple... It's called mitigated risk... The same practices insurance companies use... They don't care if the urban population is out of control.. Accidents that happen in these ares are usually low speed impacts resulting in very little damage. Maybe on average about 3,000 dollars worth. After a $500 deductible and negotiated rates with body shops the insurance company may be out $1,000-1,500 bucks...... chump change.. Where as in a rural area the impact speeds are much higher and results in greater property damage.. But also has a higher risk of bodily harm.. This is where shit gets expensive for insurance companies... Hospital bills.. Be it from striking the deer then a tree.. Or swerving to miss the deer and having a bad accident... This is where the real money comes in..... SO.. To answer the question about why the DNR doesn't give a damn about booming urban populations, but are decimating the rural ones.. It's plain as day.. Insurers would rather 20 people hit a deer in the city at 25-30 mph.. VS hitting a solitary one at 55-65 mph in the country.. The DNR is doing nothing more than following an insurance companies mitigated risk plan while shitting down your neck about "balance"...

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
....Perhaps I was/am spoiled considering I didn't start seriously hunting until 2004 when numbers we unreal where I was hunting. It was nothing to drive a 300 yard long, 100 yard wide draw behind my parents in late season and push out 25 deer....

Yes. Where I grew up hunting in Sandusky County, in the mid-90's, we could push thickets like this all day and not jump a single deer. If you sat in a tree, which we mostly did, you could go an entire week or more without seeing a single deer. Now when I go to SO I get spoiled... even during what we consider "bad years" as far as deer sightings go, it's still more sightings than we would've seen back home. Hell, this year my buddy Mike arrived at camp and said he had yet to see a single fuggin deer from stand on his property in Sandusky County, after 8 sits. It's all relative, brother.