Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Weather

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I saw the winds for yesterday and just dropped my head in disgust. I guess I know where I'll sit now and it was not where I wanted to be. But I ain't getting pounded from that wind...

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
I saw the winds for yesterday and just dropped my head in disgust. I guess I know where I'll sit now and it was not where I wanted to be. But I ain't getting pounded from that wind...

Maybe it's just where I hunt, but I don't see deer in the wind. If it's a windy day the only movement i get is when the sun sets and the wind dies.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Maybe it's just where I hunt, but I don't see deer in the wind. If it's a windy day the only movement i get is when the sun sets and the wind dies.

Same here. You will hear JD and few others say they see good movement on windy days, but those guys live in the flatlands where the wind is common. Down here in the hills, anything in the 15-20+ range seems to shut down deer movement in my area. This new stand site I have is out of the wind for the most part and yet it was still slow on the windy days. IMO, it screws with their senses more than it helps. High winds down here will swirl, never giving them a consistent wind to utilize. High winds cancel out their hearing and it makes everything move, so it makes their vision less effective. I have spent hundreds of hours on stand in what I deem "high" winds for our area of the state and consistently the results are subpar.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Jesse, couldn't agree more.
The only thing I've noticed is in high winds here in the hills is that deer will still hit the open fields and get away from the trees. That kind of goes along with the flat land theory.

If you have some good field edges to hunt that my be the ticket.

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
My last time out in the woods was this past saturday the 12th and the deer movement was great up to about 10am when the wind started to blow. That evening I didnt see a deer until approx 5:20, right at sunset when it got still. I also think their senses get messed up due to the wind blowing so hard. Never thought about the tree movement, but that could be as well.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Three different mornings last week, I watched deer come in the holler I was in, and bed down next to the rock face that was facing east, while the winds were howling in from the west. All three times these deer came in and bedded down within an hour of sunrise, about the time the wind really started to pick up.