Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Doe harvest #

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
Here is a link from qdma

http://www.qdma.com/what-we-do/arti...gram-readings/number-antlerless-deer-harvest/

Poor or Low-Quality Habitats:
One adult doe for every 300 to 640-plus acres.

Moderate-Quality Habitats:
One adult doe for every 100 to 300 acres.

High-Quality Habitats:
One adult doe for every 25 to 100 acres.

I personally think the property I manage would fall somewhere between the moderate to high habitat. I don't think it is high because it could always be improved, but I don't think it is poor either. Therefore, since I don't know exactly how many does are using my area I could take somewhere between 1-4 doe a year and not hurt my pop.

Personally I would never take 4 doe a year off my place. Last year I didn't take any. This year we'll take up to 2. I won't take more than two.

The state can push the 6 deer limit in zone C all they want. I personally will not be participating in it. I like to see deer when I go hunting.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Thanks for the link man.... QDMA in their sense only works if you have control of 6,000 acres and are able to let the animals mature to shooter quality.. It doesn't work in a hodge podge statewide mix of hunters. It doesn't even work on a smaller county scale.. And the only way it could work in Ohio is if you got every landowner for 10 miles to agree and follow it...

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
I still think qdm can be practiced on smaller acreages. You just need to be realistic in your goals. If you own/control less than 500 continuous acres you must know that there is a good chance most of the deer are not only using your property, but other properties as well. I think as a small property owner, one must evaluate your "neighborhood" and fill the in the missing pieces whether it be cover, food, water or a combination of the three.

When dealing with smaller properties, pressure is key importance. This is why establishing a sanctuary on your property is probably the most critical element.

Now back to doe management...........I believe what they said in the above article is a good rule of thumb. Will it work on all properties? No. But it is a general rule. Per 100 acres take no more than 3 doe and your population will remain somewhat stable. Take less and it will increase, more and it will decrease.