Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What to do - Opinions?

saddlepants

central Ohio
Ok so the land I have permission to hunt I have a small woodlot that I am hunting exclusively.Problem is its surrounded by river on three sides and non permission land on one. I no longer will see deer unless I cross the river( corn is gone and only cover is across river) and this rain is preventing that at the moment. There is a property that is bridged and I CAN gain access with a bit of a longer walk back from it (skirting the non hunted edge of the corn field i dont have permission to hunt). The Property where I can gain access is seized by the feds and not going to be for sale Im told and the farmer I have permission on says he is going to clean it up and farm the land. I "could" drive back there to the buildings and park and walk back to the woodlot without having to cross the river on foot but driving back and leaving my truck makes me nervous - not for my safety - but for the reasons of this property. Will I open a can of worms if someone mentions a truck going back there or a fly over? It was drug related and the owners are in prison. Or should I get dropped off and picked up?? Or should I just say good bye to the only halfway decent piece of land I have?? My farmer says its ok to go back there and we have and nosed around but its just my truck parked there that would bring questions from cops, neighbors maybe. What do ya'll think. Im sure I can gain permission to skirt the cornfield if I feel its needed and Id like to ask anyway just to see If I can gain some hunting permission for that small part but the Govt owned seized property is my main concern.

saddlepants

central Ohio
I cant leave my Canoe down there or I would. That river can rise so fast id be afraid unless I drug that thing way up and down the steep bank It would break free or be overturned. Im only 100 lbs -dragging that thing up and down that bank everytime would surley scare everything away, lol, Its a big 17 ft fiberglass. Dont think I didnt think about it though

saddlepants,
Get yourself a small kayak and an inflatable raft. Put the deer you shoot in the raft and and float/drag it back to a location you can get assistance with the deer. Dunham Sports has kayaks for less than $300.

I've got a 4-man raft that's only been in the water once that I'll sell you for $20...with a DC blower to inflate it. Just a thought. :smiley_chinrub:

Bowhunter57

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
57's raft idea has merit.

You are right to be scared of treading around on that siezed property - just a buttload of potential problems there that I can only begin to imagine. Run Forrest Run!
No deer is worth the potential asspain. Nothin may happen, but why worry?