Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Little bucks, big scrapes

matt hougan

Dayton area
Always used to get excited when I saw rubs and scrape. This past weekend there was a great big scrape near our stand. Sunday morning a little dink fork horn comes in and freshens up the scrape. I saw him nibble the tree branch above and even urinate in the acrape. Always thought that sort of thing was left to older deer.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Yeah, got my bubble burst this year as well.... Putting cameras on scrapes and rubs will do that :smiley_depressive:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
All deer use those scrapes. Big and small bucks, does, fawns, all of them. This is how they leave their calling cards. There are some that they use year round as well

Yep. I can show you a laundry list of does and bucks using the same big scrape on our farm. At last count, I'd had seen does piss in it a dozen or more times and had 7-8 different bucks who had worked it. You just never know what will hit those big old scrapes...

Buckmaster

Portage
doe down.jpg
You ever P in em Jesse?

I do every chance I get. I even make one in my shooting lane if possible. See it in this photo? The doe I shot was smelling my one hour old pee in this homemade scrape. I shot her standing in my scrape. The next day I told my buddy to pee in the scrape before he hunted that stand. Hours later he took a doe that stood in this very same scrape.

I just kicked the leaves out with my foot and pee in it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yep. I have had luck peeing in them as well. Never in regards to killing, but the cams have always shown it is not that risky of a move...

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Had the same thing here, found a scrape the size of a truck tire. put a cam on it for a week and the only bucks that showed up were a forkhorn and a little six point. and a bunch of does.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Yep. I have had luck peeing in them as well. Never in regards to killing, but the cams have always shown it is not that risky of a move...

I just did that then hung a camera over the scrape about a week & a half ago. Gonna be interested in what deer hit it up after I did.

All deer will use big, social scrapes. But the size of rubs, and more specifically the size of the tree that the rubs are on are a whole different different story. A big buck can and will rub on a smaller tree or sapling, but what I've seen and everything I've read over the years it's pretty rare for a little buck to try making a rub on a larger tree. Say something 4" in diameter or bigger. Those are made by the bigger boys in the area.