Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What changes if any to the Deer regs would you recommend to the ODNR?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I just sent Tonk an email thanking him for cutting Fayette County back to zone A. Coyotes are killing fawns at an alarming rate there IMO. Pics and sightings to prove that. Some of you have no idea how much whining and crying I have done on the issue the last several years, but it was substantial. I truly was thankful to see FC moved to zone A. Even if it only remains for a year or two, it will help a great deal. I have seen more fawns this year than in any of the last several, so I am hoping fawn recruitment along with reduced tags will give us a couple of really good years to hunt in the near future.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I just sent Tonk an email thanking him for cutting Fayette County back to zone A. Coyotes are killing fawns at an alarming rate there IMO. Pics and sightings to prove that. Some of you have no idea how much whining and crying I have done on the issue the last several years, but it was substantial. I truly was thankful to see FC moved to zone A. Even if it only remains for a year or two, it will help a great deal. I have seen more fawns this year than in any of the last several, so I am hoping fawn recruitment along with reduced tags will give us a couple of really good years to hunt in the near future.

My biggest question is will the other 87 counties have to fall to the horrible levels Fayette did before we see action from the DNR??? Apparently the low of lows in FC is where the limit is set... Are we to suffer the same fate in other counties before something changes...My personal opinion is they will achieve their management goals before pulling out of the dive.... Then pretend they did us a favor by easing up some... I'm not so sure i would have thanked him Brock... He simply got what he wanted then leveled off.

Darron

Dayton, Ohio

They need to do the same to most of the SE regions. Keep in mind guys it is technically up to the individual hunter. Just because you can take 6 deer in zone c (or whatever zone you hunt in) doesn't mean you have to.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
They need to do the same to most of the SE regions. Keep in mind guys it is technically up to the individual hunter. Just because you can take 6 deer in zone c (or whatever zone you hunt in) doesn't mean you have to.

And only us here on these type of sites truly "get that".. The other 98% of hunters out there have no clue.. They figure the DNR says 6.. Then if they only shoot 3 they did good. And 6 would be neutral.. I mean.. The dnr has limits to "preserve" deer populations right... I mean isn't that what we've been taught since day 1.. "Conservation" is the reason we have a department of natural resources...... Apparently we've switch from "conservation" by hunters for hunters.. To "management" for everyone with lobbyists..

Last edited:

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
My neighbor across the street from my property owns 80 acres. We have built a great relationship over the past 8-10 years and we both believe in qdm.

When he first bought his property he had an odnr biologist come out and evaluate his property. He told him he could take as many as 8-9 deer off his property every season and see no damaging effects. 8+ deer off 80 acres????? Come on. That seems ridiculous. Luckily he doesn't come close to that. .

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio

And most responsible hunters that know their hunting ground won't take more than they feel their property can handle. I've lived and hunted in SE Ohio my whole life, and have only taken three deer in a year once. Every other year has either been one or two. With that being said, I have seen a steady decline in the number of deer sightings over the last ten years, especially in the last three. Something needs to be done, and their just aren't enough hunters out there that understand or care about their herd to do it on our own. We need the DNR to support us, and help get things back to where they need to be.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
And most responsible hunters that know their hunting ground won't take more than they feel their property can handle. I've lived and hunted in SE Ohio my whole life, and have only taken three deer in a year once. Every other year has either been one or two. With that being said, I have seen a steady decline in the number of deer sightings over the last ten years, especially in the last three. Something needs to be done, and their just aren't enough hunters out there that understand or care about their herd to do it on our own. We need the DNR to support us, and help get things back to where they need to be.

Amen brother...

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio

I couldn't agree more Fluteman, my deer sightings have been declining for the last several years, we need to lessen the number of tags that can be bought and open the eyes of some municipalities to what should be done for their growing deer problem, Cambridge Ohio, a town right next to me has been having severe deer issues for the last several years, it was brought before the city council about allowing bow hunting on city property or private property within the limits of the city, the county GW gave them a presentation about reducing their numbers , to make a long story short it was voted down due to safety and liability concerns. The rural deer herd is being reduced by allowing such gracious bag limits but the problem areas such as urban and city areas continue to grow due to no hunting so the damage continues such as car vs deer accidents and the insurance companies continue to lobby for the high bag limits, but the deer are not being reduced in the right areas IMO!

Huckleberry Finn

I agree with scaling back harvest limits - but, do you think that changing the season length would be beneficial as well?

This goes back to Joe's post about going to the '07 regs...maybe we should go back to '06 and get rid of extra gun weekend, and move muzzleloader season back to Dec 27-31.

It also wouldn't be difficult to take a couple weeks off the beginning and end of the archery season as well. Might concentrate bow hunters a little bit more and no idea of how it would effect harvest numbers...