Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pre hunt Ritual/Prayer

Diablo54

Outside
What yours? Do you have one?

Last year it was the quotes on my bow "May the good lord be your outtfitter and guide me he cause you to always shoot straight and the trophies you pursue be worthy of the book.

This year it's been a simple prayer " please allow me to enjoy the nature you have created etc.."

If i dont say it I dont see deer but when i do it seems to work. Just supersticious i guess haha

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The evening before opening morning. I drive out to my hunting spot Just as the sun sets, I turn off the truck, get out and lean on the hood to watch the sun go down.. I say a prayer for safety, and for thanks, not only for the animals we pursue, but also for giving me another season to pursue them. The morning of as soon as i leave the truck i stop about 50 yards down the trail in the darkness.. "Lord protect us and let us not get so caught up that we overlook the beauty you have created"

Last edited:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Before I leave on a hunt, while saying goodbye to the wife her ritual blessing is "Be safe, have fun, good luck."

When I hit the woods, I pray for 1) the safety of myself and my brother hunters 2) opportunity...not success, just opportunity, and 3) a steady hand for either a clean hit or a clean miss.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Danman i say the exact same, well the second part. I thank the lord for the opportunity to be in a stand enjoying his creations, safety for all that are in the woods, and a clean harvest given the opportunity. I am one of the people that just love being in a stand, seeing deer just adds to it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think I just pray in general when in the stand. I first ask for a safe hunt. Then thank Him for the opportunity to get out in His creation to hunt. I always ask He watch over my fellow TOOzers as well.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I'm not the religious sort. I keep a flask in my pack, once I am settled in i take it out, raise it in all 4 directions and say heres to all the creatures of the woodland, and here is to haveing a great day in the woods. I normally just take a tiny sip, enough for a taste and to make it an official toast. Sometimes, like yesterday, when its cold, I go ahead and get a decent snort from it to warm up the innards.

Dont want anyone to get the wrong idea, I'm not a drunk, and I dont sit in my stand getting wasted, thats dangerous. matter of fact that is normally the only time the flask comes out. But For some reason ever since i started doing my little thank you to the forest i have seen more and more deer and better and better bucks.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I'm not the religious sort. I keep a flask in my pack, once I am settled in i take it out, raise it in all 4 directions and say heres to all the creatures of the woodland, and here is to haveing a great day in the woods. I normally just take a tiny sip, enough for a taste and to make it an official toast. Sometimes, like yesterday, when its cold, I go ahead and get a decent snort from it to warm up the innards.

Dont want anyone to get the wrong idea, I'm not a drunk, and I dont sit in my stand getting wasted, thats dangerous. matter of fact that is normally the only time the flask comes out. But For some reason ever since i started doing my little thank you to the forest i have seen more and more deer and better and better bucks.

Nothing wrong with a sip Dante.

Huckleberry Finn

I pray after I sit down in the stand for the first time, and normally don't stop praying. My tree stand is one of the few places where I let my mind relax, and any thought that comes to my mind, I pray about.

RUT NUT

I pray while in the shower before a hunt and as soon as I get settled in the stand. Above anything I pray for safety and thank him for the ability to be able to hunt what I think is one of his most beautiful creations. The Whitetail Deer. A safe hunt is a successful hunt. The harvest of a doe or a buck is just the icing on the cake.

sounds like a religious ritual to me .
i dont pray , but i do catch a chicken befor season comes in and twist its head off and drink its blood from its neck .

camofry

*Supporting Member*
I think you all have some very good ways to keep in touch so to speak with the God you place your faith in ( other then the chicken thing, but if thats your thing I hope it work for you .lol) I myself believe we have many Gods and I thank every one of them for the bountes we have.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Hoot do ya fry the chicken afterwards?
If'n ya don't fry the chicken in a cast iron skillet the boodoo don't werk as good ( gotta be cast iron, aluminum neutralizes the boodoo, kinda like silver does to vampires)

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I tend to fit in my prayers where they seem fit. Generally speaking, it is after I settle in to the stand and am hunt ready. I'll do it in the shower from time to time as well depending on how I feel about the upcoming hunt...

Buckmaster

Portage
I talk with God and my 9 year old neice Melana whom is with God.

She would love to be able to hunt with her uncle Ben if she were still here on Earth.