Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Slug barrel or Slug Gun?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Bow57, i year ago i bought a savage 220 bolt slugger and i can tell you they are VERY accurate. i was very surprised. it is a very load specific gun and for me it shoot the Remington accutips the best. its got easy 150 yard accuracy. recoil is much better than most slug guns and the combo ( scope, mounts and base)can be had for around 500 or so if you look into cabelas. Wont be shooting any other slug gun for quite some time.

Milo, I've got the Marlin SLugmaster and it's a heavy and mule kicking SOB but is accurate as hell and that's why I like it so much... But have been looking at the Savage as well in the 20 ga.... A little pricey but does peak my interest....

Milo

Tatonka guide.
you wont go wrong with it. i was tired of my teeth being sore after thanksgiving every year...great little gun but ammo was the original problem with it. i think they have it corrected. Remington would not make enough ammo to fill the need. i think they got their poop in a group now. the accutrigger makes it double sweet

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
you wont go wrong with it. i was tired of my teeth being sore after thanksgiving every year...great little gun but ammo was the original problem with it. i think they have it corrected. Remington would not make enough ammo to fill the need. i think they got their poop in a group now. the accutrigger makes it double sweet

That's what has me interested.... I hear good things about the rifles and having a rifle foundation for a shotgun is a good idea.. The Sliugmaster is based on the the old goose gun foundation and the ejector has some issues but if you make a good shot on the first one out of the barrel it's all good....

Lundy

If you compare the 20 and 12 federal premium with the barnes expanders in 3" you get nearly identical velocities and trajectories, 1900 FPS, 1.2" high at 50 and 1.9" low at 125 but you do lose some foot pounds of energy. 12 ga, 2630 at the muzzle and 1604 at 125 yds, the 20 ga. 2192 muzzle and 1272 at 125 yds. More than enough with the 20 to kill a deer with a much reduced felt recoil.

J said:
20 or 12 ga? I would get a good scope on it, optics mean a lot when it comes too accuracy.... For some reason I always thought they were heavier then 5.25 lbs... My buddy had one and it was a heavy little buggar as I remember it.....
"J",
* I would definately opt for the 12 gauge. I've always shot 12s and prefer the extra power/range.
* A low powered scope would be the way to go.
* Yep...5.25 is too light and there would be an azz whopin behind the trigger. I'd have to have the heavier model. I mostly stand hunt, but either way I'm not concerned with the carry weight. I'd much prefer to carry the weight all day and be able to make a good shot when it's needed.

Huckleberry Finn said:
If you don't like smokepoles, why would you want a single shot shotgun??
Huckleberry Finn,
I don't like the cleaning processes with a charcoal burner. I've owned all kinds of black powder firearms, over the years...both originals and replicas. Revolvers, double barrel shotguns, long rifles (patched roundball) and hawken styled rifles...all fun, good shooters, but all were a giant pain in the kester to clean. :smiley_arrogant:

Milo said:
Bow57, i year ago i bought a savage 220 bolt slugger and i can tell you they are VERY accurate.
Milo,
I've eyeballed the Savage slugger for a while, but can't justify the cost for a 7 day season. It was easier to justify a ML, since I could use it to hunt other critters and/or go to some shooting events with it.

Bowhunter57