Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pumpkins??

saddlepants

central Ohio
So while Iwas in the hospital yesterday a relative was visiting and she used to feed the deer in her yard and she also allowed a hunter to hunt them (like this lady!) anyhow she said "Pumpkins! feed them pumpkins" she said she would see them standing there with big hunks of pumpkin hanging outa there mouths!! Anyone ever thought of this? Hell next year Im gonna scarf up any leftover pumpies I can after Halloween and smash them up on my bait pile...what do you think?:smiley_clap:

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I grow about 10 acres of pumpkins every year. Seldom see any sign of deer damage in my fields. However I have a friend that takes a dump truck load to WV every year and he claims those deer go crazy over them. It probably depends on what other food is available in the area.

camofry

*Supporting Member*
Like Cotty said, put your trail cam out . I dont bust them open , I let them do it. It is a show in its self to see them try to get them open. I have found out over the years that they dont spend much time working them if they are in the open field. Put them off in the woods or a tree line. I always open 1 or 2 of them to get the smell in the air but let them open the rest of them.

Huckleberry Finn

I'm with Sam, I don't think a deer is going to walk into a pumpkin patch and eat orange pumpkins. They do like the runners though. Pumpkins just aren't as attractive as the field or sweet corn that's planted right next to it.

However, and FredT backs this up, deer that are used to being baited/fed love pumpkins.

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
I'm with Sam, I don't think a deer is going to walk into a pumpkin patch and eat orange pumpkins. They do like the runners though. Pumpkins just aren't as attractive as the field or sweet corn that's planted right next to it.

However, and FredT backs this up, deer that are used to being baited/fed love pumpkins.

Once the pumpkins are broken they will eat them. I think broken pumpkins are the key...

FredT

SE Ohio

A very true statement. My deer absolutely love them. They will eat every bit except the green stem. I crack them open first to help them get started. I look for them at Wal-Mart and the such after Halloween and try to pick up a bunch on sale for 5 cents to a penny when they go to dump them for a quick sale. No luck at all this year. Last couple of years I scored big time!

Huckleberry Finn

A very true statement. My deer absolutely love them. They will eat every bit except the green stem. I crack them open first to help them get started. I look for them at Wal-Mart and the such after Halloween and try to pick up a bunch on sale for 5 cents to a penny when they go to dump them for a quick sale. No luck at all this year. Last couple of years I scored big time!

Huck lofts up a softball and Fred hits it out of the park! :smiley_banana:

When I develop the next big deer substance, I'm gonna have you test it on your ladies and then we'll split the millions!

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
this is how I got permission to hunt one of the properties this year, the guy raises pumpkins to sell and the deer completely annihilated one of his fields, put up a camera on this pumpkin field and have got bookoo pics , the typical 6x6 with split brow pics I posted are from this field, they busted the pumpkins theirselves and it looks like you took a spoon and scooped them clean! the field looks like you ran a claw foot through it from all the deer tracks, granted all the pics are night shots but its not hard to follow their trails back to the woods! so yeah I would say pumpkins are good !!!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yes deer will eat the heck out of them.. A buddy didn;t believe it and Sean put out a couple pumpkins and a BEC over them.. The deer showed up about every night stomp stomp chomp chomp.