Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

kids

matt hougan

Dayton area
Grabbed the wife and the boys and headed out to the archery range this afternoon. I took a few minutes to sight in thier crossbow. With that done I turned it over to the boys. Nathan my 12 year pld shot very well even at 30 yds. Once he settled in he kept them all in about a 6" group.

My little man wanted in on the action so I set him up on the 15 yard target. We thought the first shot was a fluke. He put the next two in the same spot. Awesome!

And of course the wife wanted to play as well.

I'll be in a two man ladder stand in the morning with tbe 12 year old. Should be a great day.

Last edited:

matt hougan

Dayton area
Well the day went well other than not getting a shot at any deer. We got to the farm late. We were literally running to the stand. We jumped a deer on the way in. As we were trying to get our gloves, face masks etc on we heard a deer sneek past us in the dark. We did have a monster doe approach from down wind but not come all the way in. She kept looking across the bean field then ducked into the woods infront of us and hen disappeared. Nathan never did see her. We had another big doe sneek past behind us, poor Nathan never got a peek at her either. Seemed like the two does I saw were being extra cautious. I imagine they are getting run ragged by the bucks....

Anyhow, I told Nathan to let me know when he got bored and we would go. I dont want him to hate hunting. A few minutes later he said he was ready. I told him to pick out a leaf on the ground and shoot the field tip arrow. He drilled it!

It was great to sit in a tree stand with Nathan. He was a little figitty but he did well. Main thing is he is looking forward to hunting next week at the deer lease for a solid day and a half. I told him to charge up his game boy and pack his ear buds. Aint no way I'm leaving the lease during the rut.....LOL

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You have got a nice looking family Matt. I am glad to hear you are enjoying the wonderful outdoors with them! Enjoy it bud!