Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

OMG, I screwed up!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
First, I never bought a turkey permit and I had 8 beards at 15 yards. At 10:30 I'm thinking about getting down and calling it a day because no deer have come through. Out of nowhere, two HUGE mature bucks jog in at 15 yards. I start shaking like a leaf and move to get into position. I get busted by buck #1 that has TOO many points to count (I was 25 ft. up too). He runs off about 5 yards ass facing me. The other deer just stops. His vitals are covered by a tree. At this point I'm shaking so much I can barely hold onto the crossbow. Prior to this, I had to remove my left contact lens because something was irritating my eye. Now I can only see out of one eye and I shoot the crossbow with both eyes open so now it looks 3D! I finally get squared away and the second buck starts walking and I aim and fire, but the safety was still on! TOO late, they both jog off and I'm left with heart palpitations. I have never seen such big deer from the stand. OMG!

Why were these two mature bucks together at this time of year?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I saw about a 110 class 8 this morning with a busted up rack and his eye gouged out...

The tall 8 last week pushed a doe out of the woods... He did the whole nose down bob and weave bluff charge thing.. But to see two mature deer on their feet making the rounds at 10:30, the big ones are getting in the game too.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Dang, that really stinks man, but hang tough, things are fixing to get crazy out there.

Joe, I got a pic of a young eight last night that looked to be bleeding around his eye, and the hair on his neck was all roughed up. Also had pictures or a couple young guys sparring it out!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Those are the hunts you learn the most from. The lessons you learn in the early years in a lifetime of hunting. The rush you get from a big deer being so close that you feel like your breathing is going to give you away. Safety on, drop an arrow or get busted with your ass half way down a tree cas "nuthen out here today" or almost as bad as getting busted going into the stand in the dark... You had 2 nice bucks come in very close today Mike. Great rush! Still a good day in my book. lol

The 2 could be running together off an on to butt heads a little. Maybe listen for or think about doing a little rattling of your own. Good Luck !

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Could be lots of reasons they were together. Maybe they were coincidentally following the same hot doe? My buddy has a theory that big bucks run in pairs often. Claims they have a mutual respect and watch each other's back. Maybe one was running the other one off?

either way, congrats on a great hunt Mike! Good luck buddy!