Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

It's on... Rut stories

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Planning on going to The Ridge this Saturday. If last weekend with Huck was any indicator this weekend should be full of excitement.

epe

Lancaster
I thought the rut had to do with amount of daylight. I have noticed deer move closer to dark when hot, but they still rut.

saddlepants

central Ohio
It does have to do with the amount of hours in the day as they shorten for the winter but not actually to do with "daylight". The amount of daylight ours triggers the rut in much the same way that longer days start birds breeding in the spring but the "light" really has nothing to do with it.

epe

Lancaster
It does have to do with the amount of hours in the day as they shorten for the winter but not actually to do with "daylight". The amount of daylight ours triggers the rut in much the same way that longer days start birds breeding in the spring but the "light" really has nothing to do with it.

Right, what I meant. I was just saying temps have nothing to do with the rut, just how much they run during the day, and how they relate to water sources..

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I think I'm going to trust Charlie Alsheimer's call on the rut this year. I do believe the weather hinders/helps the rut and looking at his predictions for 2011 along with the 10-day forecast (along with considering all the things I've seen and heard about movement around here right now) I'm saving 3-days of vacation I planned on using over the next few days, and taking them the 10-16th. The man obviously knows far more about the rut than I do, and he's willing to bank his vacation for next week, so I'll follow suit. The weather is less than ideal right now and by all accounts, we are still slow around these parts. I'll let the next two days finalize that move, but I see a 6-day vacation in my future...

epe

Lancaster
Jesse, the area you hunt and the spot we hunt down there near you, it seems like it is a week or two later than most. Have you noticed that? It will be completely different than the spot I hunt near the muskingum river.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Jesse, the area you hunt and the spot we hunt down there near you, it seems like it is a week or two later than most. Have you noticed that? It will be completely different than the spot I hunt near the muskingum river.

Yes. One of the gifts I have been given via the forums is seeing how the activity N of I-70 correlates to the activity down here. I honestly believe my area is 5-10 days (given weather conditions and such) behind most of the northern part of the state. When I see big deer hitting the dirt in the north (which I've been getting pics of some dandies in the past two days) then I start to get excited about our rut ramping up. I've been keeping a close eye on this correlation for the past four seasons and it really seems to be a steady truth that we lag behind down here...

saddlepants

central Ohio
I think I'm going to trust Charlie Alsheimer's call on the rut this year. I do believe the weather hinders/helps the rut and looking at his predictions for 2011 along with the 10-day forecast (along with considering all the things I've seen and heard about movement around here right now) I'm saving 3-days of vacation I planned on using over the next few days, and taking them the 10-16th. The man obviously knows far more about the rut than I do, and he's willing to bank his vacation for next week, so I'll follow suit. The weather is less than ideal right now and by all accounts, we are still slow around these parts. I'll let the next two days finalize that move, but I see a 6-day vacation in my future...

I agree. Hope I can get the chance to get out again now.

epe

Lancaster
Yes. One of the gifts I have been given via the forums is seeing how the activity N of I-70 correlates to the activity down here. I honestly believe my area is 5-10 days (given weather conditions and such) behind most of the northern part of the state. When I see big deer hitting the dirt in the north (which I've been getting pics of some dandies in the past two days) then I start to get excited about our rut ramping up. I've been keeping a close eye on this correlation for the past four seasons and it really seems to be a steady truth that we lag behind down here...

The wierd thing is, my two spots are probably only 8-10 miles apart as the crow flys. The one spot this week dad saw about 15 fresh scrapes , the other spot two...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

I think Alsheimer nails it every year, and this year should be no different. At least I hope so because I'm sure as hell banking on it. :)

I have noticed this also. A lot of my friends bowhunt the NW part of the state, and it seems like I get pummeled with txt and pic messages a week or so before they start chasing hard down south.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
what is charlie saying this year BTW?

He's saying the week following Veteran's Day is going to be peak for the chasing phase... and it's supposed to be a "concentrated" rut, instead of a long, drawn-out rut like last season.

epe

Lancaster
His website said the seeking phase is about 4 days before full moon, which would be the 6th or 7th. I have better luck hunting the seeking, as I hunt a funnel area that all the does use, hence the bucks cruise thru looking. During the chasing, it is like a ghost town a lot of the times there..