Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

It's on... Rut stories

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
No rutin by me if today is any indication. The bucks were traveling together tonight and acting like it was September.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've seen plenty of bucks and does so far this season and have YET to see any rutting action. I haven't been out in a couple of days though.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I hunted further south last night and only saw two does after sunset being nudged around by a pathetic three point.
Strangely my cameras at this spot have gone quiet and have seen less movement than a typical summer day...go figure.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Did a lot of driving yesterday and didn't see much sign of the rut. I've been talking to local bowhunters and it seems we're all on the same page down here... The slow page!!!

epe

Lancaster
On the traffic report on the radio for Columbus this morning , there were two wrecks caused by deer, one with a motorcycle.. Ouch.. I would say it is kicking off here in Columbus or awfully close..

Gordo

Athens County
On the traffic report on the radio for Columbus this morning , there were two wrecks caused by deer, one with a motorcycle.. Ouch.. I would say it is kicking off here in Columbus or awfully close..

I was just about to say how i havent seen a real spike in road kills yet. Thats always a true indicator. Soon enough!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I was just about to say how i havent seen a real spike in road kills yet. Thats always a true indicator. Soon enough!

I drive Spfld to Columbus every day.. I agree with EPE. it's getting very close to being ON here in this area. Last weekend i saw dinks and young deer dogging does all over.. This week i have seen the road kills on 70 increase 3 fold.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

Let's keep in mind the farmers are trying to get crops in off the fields when they can as well. I would argue this can partially be accountable for some of the road kills. It is not JUST the rut which makes them get moving.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Let's keep in mind the farmers are trying to get crops in off the fields when they can as well. I would argue this can partially be accountable for some of the road kills. It is not JUST the rut which makes them get moving.

Most of the crops along 70 were beginning to get cut 2-3 weeks ago. It's this week i began to see an increase in road kill.

saddlepants

central Ohio
So the Rut is on in my town and it ruined my hunt tonight dang it. I was all set up like clockwork by 2:30 on the ground looking like a shrub about twenty feet from his best scrape and bedding area, the wind in my face.It was the perfect set up. I was so confident in my scent control after I had to convince myself NOT to jump if the squirrel on the ground behind me climbed up my back. He didn't but he did jump on the tree I was leaning on and I could see his paw out of the corner of my eye. TWICE...Any way at about 6:30 I saw some does come out of the corn and go down the edge and I'm too far for them but haven't seen Party Boy yet and its getting late. Not ten minutes after the does came and went Here he comes crashing out of the corn, head down, grunting at a full trot after those does. I think I heard him grunting all the way to Cleveland!! And unfortunately he didn't give a rats ass about his scrapes:tantrum:

epe

Lancaster
Going to be late to work today because of deer wreck today on 33. No new crops off so it is not that. Saw three new dead ones yesterday on 33. One had a Big body, missing its antlers..

Schu72

Streetsboro
I'm keeping my finger crossed that the activity will be hot and heavy this weekend. I'm pumped to get home and get some seat time.