Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

It's on... Rut stories

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Post up your rut stories here. Let us know what you're seeing and hearing.

I spotted two nice scrapes under an oak so I put the camera there. These are the pics from today.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1319830091.629762.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1319830158.994451.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1319830174.377159.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1319830185.155282.jpg

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Not Rut but 2 days ago I saw a fawn only about 2+ ft. tall. Couldn't have been 2 months old and surly still on milk... Gonna be a hard winter. A very late drop.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Bunch of fresh scrapes on the way to my stand. One big one is right underneath it. At my other place this morning, I had a decent buck cruise by nose down at 60-70 yds. Grunted never came back. Pretty calm.right now. Good thing is I have three more days! Lol

saddlepants

central Ohio
when we went tracking that one I shot the other day I could see several new scrapes and he was rubbin the branches as he was headin my way. A few rubs were just TORE up!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Had a small eight dog a yearling all over the place yesterday morning.

Yesterday evening had the same young buck come in behind me and make a scrape, then tuck his tail and took off the way he came. The big boy came in tearing shit up, thrashing his antlers and breaking saplings off, rubbing trees, and making scrapes, slinging dirt 15ft.

Had six different bucks on the BEC freshen a scrape last night. Had some pics of sparring also.

Found a dozen grounscrapes also this morning.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Greg that would have been awesome to see. I filmed a basket rack freshen up one about 3 yds from my treestand. Pretty cool to see.

I wish I would have had the camera last night. Chose not to take it because of how wet it was. I would like to know just how big that buck was.

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
Rut is on in my part of SE Ohio. This morning my father took a decent mid to low 120 8 point as it nudged a doe just outside a food plot. We have watched this buck all summer and estimated him at 3.5-4.5yo (body structure and gray face). Decent spread but mass was lacking. The buck gave him a 15 yard chip shot and he didn't go 40 yards. Hopefully we didn't make a management mistake by killing this deer. We just felt he didn't have the genetics. The buck did have a nice body on him. We weighed him at the check station and on their scales he weiged in somewhere between 165-170 field dressed which puts him at or just over 200 live weight. Which makes sense because he was a pain to drag out. For a woods deer being 200# IMO that is a heavy deer. Here are some pics of my father and I posing with the deer. IMG_1194.JPGIMG_1197.JPGIMG_1195.JPG

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Rut is on in my part of SE Ohio. This morning my father took a decent mid to low 120 8 point as it nudged a doe just outside a food plot. We have watched this buck all summer and estimated him at 3.5-4.5yo (body structure and gray face). Decent spread but mass was lacking. The buck gave him a 15 yard chip shot and he didn't go 40 yards. Hopefully we didn't make a management mistake by killing this deer. We just felt he didn't have the genetics. The buck did have a nice body on him. We weighed him at the check station and on their scales he weiged in somewhere between 165-170 field dressed which puts him at or just over 200 live weight. Which makes sense because he was a pain to drag out. For a woods deer being 200# IMO that is a heavy deer. Here are some pics of my father and I posing with the deer. View attachment 4447View attachment 4448View attachment 4449

Nothing wrong with that buck! He'd make a great Euro Mount.

I didn't see any rut activity today, so I like the updates.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
talked to my foreman today that hunted SE of Zanesville all last week. He said they missed the timing by a week. Dead through most of the week but the last two days were crazy with rut behavior.

Locally? Doesn't seem to be full swing but I scouted a bit today in a woods I hadn't been in since early September to find some crazy rubs chest high. Still mainly the small bucks pushing does, but Friday my hunting buddy saw three new bucks on the property in the 120-130 range. I would say this upcoming week is going to be nutz!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We didn't see shit this weekend. It was the worst couple days of hunting I have had in a long time. I can't get my head around them not moving in this weather...