Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scrapes getting mowed over

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
At one of the spots i hunt there's a section of field that has 3 scrapes in a row, about 8 yards apart. I went in there this evening to hang a cam on one of them and saw that they had cut the field today, and went over the scrapes. How will this affect the scrapes?

just a question . am i wrong in thinking i see alot of 1.5 or 2.5 year old bucks running field edges on scrapes . not sure i have seen a old buck do this . am i wrong in thinking that way?

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I hung a Cam over two scraps Monday and they were mowed over Tuesday. Have had four different bucks freshen the scrapes in three days.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
just a question . am i wrong in thinking i see alot of 1.5 or 2.5 year old bucks running field edges on scrapes . not sure i have seen a old buck do this . am i wrong in thinking that way?

I don't know Hoot. Last year on a new property we had "small" scrapes lining the field edges. I am talking every single tree with a licking branch there was a small scrape about the size of a backpack that would fit Rooster. This year I have only walked the one of the edges ONE time. I have been watching a mature buck in this field. I had him in my binoculars one evening hunt but never got him in shooting lanes. Sunday morning I stalked my way back to my truck and walked one of the field edges. I stopped many times to glass and check out rubs/scrapes. There were more rubs than scrapes. The two scrapes I found were about the size of a 30" TV screen. That was the day I saw him on the ground. He was 30yds away and there was a huge bush separating us. I never got a shot, but I have zero doubt those are HIS scrapes. I believe his presence in there is why those field edges are not littered with baby scrapes like they were last year. This buck is using the field as his bedroom. In this case, I would say "sometimes" a big buck will make scrapes on field edges. However, I cannot say this is the norm given my lack of experience. I have learned a lot this year while focusing on this buck though.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
That's what im hoping to discover, hopefully i can capture some pictures of this buck and find out how big he is.

epe

Lancaster
Years ago dad was hunting a big ten pt. He watched him many nights from a distance hit a couple scrapes on a field edge. Not all of them, just a select few...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have a stack of pics showing mature bucks work scrapes I've pissed in. Pee breaks down ammonia and that's basically all they smell. Pick up a bottle of Tinks Power Scrape and smell it; it's just ammonia solution...

Buckmaster

Portage
I have a stack of pics showing mature bucks work scrapes I've pissed in. Pee breaks down ammonia and that's basically all they smell. Pick up a bottle of Tinks Power Scrape and smell it; it's just ammonia solution...

Last I saw ammonia at Kroger it was $ .99 for a liter. That's cheap scrape juice.