Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

public hunting, medina, portage county.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
been sent to a new job site in wadsworth.
I was getting fridays off before, but i have to work monday through friday now.
I get off at 3:30 and by the time i get home i only have a little while to hunt, so i would prefer to hunt before i head home. I checked the odnr site but there dosent seem to be anything in the area.
can anyone give me a heads up on a public spot to hunt in that area?

Schu72

Streetsboro
I hunt at West Branch State park in Portage county for both turkey and deer. I'd be happy to share my experiences with you.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I actually hunted west branch once when i was working in twinsburg last year. The spots I tried were real brushy, hard to find a tree for a climber.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dante, check out Spencer Wildlife Area. It's in Medina County, right off of 162 on the west side of the county. It'll probably be right on your way home! I've yet to deer hunt there, but I've walked around scouting and messing around... I've been meaning to give it a try but just haven't gotten around to it. There is also a small archery range there. Send me a PM if you want some more info.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
according to odnr, spencer is primarily a waterfowl hunting area. but WTF, its worth a look any way.

Lots and lots of oaks. I only use a climber when I'm ou there. Very nice mature woodblocks for the most part.

must be a different part than i looked at, I think the area I was on was off of post road.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
booth road.

BOOTH ROAD!!
Thats it, why I was thinking post road i dont know. But booth road is Where I was. I remember going down cable line doing some drive by scouting. Maybe I should pull out the map and look a little closer at it.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
according to odnr, spencer is primarily a waterfowl hunting area. but WTF, its worth a look any way.

must be a different part than i looked at, I think the area I was on was off of post road.

Don't listen to them, Spencer has A LOT of hardwoods and swamps. I would say there is more deer there than waterfowl, actually.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I hope so. I lived within three miles of the place for years and never seen more than a handfull of ducks except for the spring migration.

You can definitely kill ducks and geese there, if you're in the right spot at the right time... But I can't see anybody, especially the ODNR, referring to Spencer as a waterfowl-specific area. Plenty of good upland hunting opportunities, squirrels, turkeys here and there, and of course deer. It is public land, though, so I'm sure hunting pressure is an issue.