Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Always look up!

Derek j

Knox Co.
I hope that y'all can learn from this story. Always look up!

So I got to my stand tonight for a quick evening hunt. I hook my bow to the pull rope, attach my harness, and start my climb up the tree. All is right with the world at this time.....I am one with nature as I make my way up to the stand of death. As I get halfway up, I notice something move to my right, about a foot away from me. No big deal, I thought, just a squirrel. As my eyes shift to see what is hugging my death tree, all I see is grey. Then it gets bigger the more I look at it. Next thing I know, I am face to face with damn coon, and it ain't the kind that eats fried chicken!
Great, just what I wanted. Have you ever tried to get a coon out of your killin tree? Not as easy as you think. So I finally get it to climb onto a branch. I make my way back up the tree, and then form a game plan on how to kill the little sucker. Cant CHOOT him.....he's facing right towards the neighbors property, so if by chance the arrow doesn't hit one of the 3000 branches between me and them, I could hit the house (slim chance it would happen, but you don't know my luck). No rocks to throw. No sticks big enough to reach him. So I did what every other bowhunter would do.....I made him an audience member! So for an hour an a half this guy just sat and watched me do my thing. he was about 15 feet away the entire evening. And to top off my wonderful night, I never seen a deer.

Moral of the story...........always look up before you climb to your stand! You never know what is going to join you!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1319246656497.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1319246656497.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 157
  • uploadfromtaptalk1319246684512.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1319246684512.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
HAHAHAHA.... Been there lol.... The first year I started bow hunting I had an old TSS climber that was made out of wood.... Climbed up the tree well before light and once I got settled I kept hearing things above me and low and behold what comes climbing down the tree but a coon.... Pulled the arrow out of the quiver and got ready to poke him if he got too close.... Well he got about 4 ft from me and spun around went right back too the top of the tree and stayed there until I got down and left about 4 hours later..... Yeah talk about a pucker factor :smiley_clap:

Derek j

Knox Co.
HAHAHAA.. Hung a stand in a den tree..

More like he invaded my kill tree! This stand has been there for 3 years now, and it is first time I have seen a coon in it. think it was just trying to find a new home. I'm pretty sure he won't come back though. He kept looking at me as if to say.....can you please get down so I can get the fugg outta here!!!!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
More like he invaded my kill tree! This stand has been there for 3 years now, and it is first time I have seen a coon in it. think it was just trying to find a new home. I'm pretty sure he won't come back though. He kept looking at me as if to say.....can you please get down so I can get the fugg outta here!!!!

Prolly a nice place to lay up on that padded seat and all. lol

Derek j

Knox Co.
That would be my luck......get up to the stand and a big ol coon deuce is staring back at me. The rest of the season will be spent in the climber, so I won't have to worry about it now. Dad can make a new friend though!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
That coon was probably scared to death.... "what the hell is this guy doing climbing my tree!!! Oh man I'm in trouble now"