Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

sad

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=262915&mid=2012831#M2012831

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
What did that actually do to the deer? Are his legs crushed or just pinned?

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Bad for the operator, bad for the deer, bad for some hunter's missed opportunity.

But I hear about deer getting swept up in combines like this and I wonder to myself "Is it not a retarded deer that can't avoid a combine?" I mean, you can hear the damned things a mile away...maybe they just can't see 'em for the corn until it's right up on 'em.

Still, if I could run and jump like a deer, I think I could avoid getting run over by a combine.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Still, if I could run and jump like a deer, I think I could avoid getting run over by a combine.

Surely you have seen a buck lay down and try to hide before? I was walking in to change camera cards on a property last week. Yearling doe picked me off. We had a 5min stare down and she eventually bolted with her tail flagging. I continue to walk in and I notice a buck. I continue the same pace and watch him as I walk. He was frozen like a statue. I continued my same pace and he never flinched. He felt he was invisible to me because I didn't stop to check him out. I continued to walk and never did hear him jump out of there. I am guessing they do the same thing with the combines.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
ive seen this up close the farmer down the road got into a doe a couple years ago. it was actually down in the corn head not on top took us a couple hours to get her out of there. if i can find the pics ill post them

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Is very sad but like Dan said earlier, if the combine is getting closer................get the F up and at least MOVE!

FredT

SE Ohio
"Is it not a retarded deer that can't avoid a combine?" I mean, you can hear the damned things a mile away...maybe they just can't see 'em for the corn until it's right up on 'em.

Same species that run right out in front of cars.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Same species that run right out in front of cars.

And it's like they wait for the perfect timing... Almost like they do it on purpose... What was wrong with the 400 yards of dark road before i got here.

Last edited:
i am betting the buck was not scooped up . the corn is standing good and there would have been no reason to run the head to close to the ground . i have seen alot of bucks in corn fields from a combine . they will eather walk beside or stand one row in as the combine drives by and watch . im thinking he jumped onto the head .

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I think this is an example of how deer react instinctively and with little cognitive thought. To us a large machine running through the field would be perceived as a danger, but deer seem less afraid of machinery (or headlights). Probably because instinctively they don't understand the danger. It seems like when I hear about this it is usually a mature buck, seldom a doe or younger buck. I wonder if older bucks are the ones that have survived because they follow their instinct to hold tight when this kind of danger in near?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I would agree Sam. I watched a dozen deer from the stand last night. The whole time I had a combine running corn not 300 yards behind me... They would look that way but really didn't care. Just went on about their business. I think those old bucks just hold tight.. You always hear about them only shooting out of the corn when there is only maybe 20 rows left.

Just last week Jd was helping the farmer and a nice buck stood up in the beans. They had maybe 3 passes left and had been there for hours.. In beans! He just laid there and watched.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The tall 8 was standing in a corn field at 6:30pm... The corn had been cut just 4 hours before. And the combine and grain cart were still driving around 400 yards away.

saddlepants

central Ohio
That is sad. I wouldnt waste the meat either but Id be pissed if I didnt have a way to put him down quick even if he did mess up my machine. SO..Combines make good tree stands eh???