Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Acorns

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
Is it me or are they dropping like crazy this year? While fall turkey hunting this morning it was raining acorns all morning, both red and whites. After shooting my bird I walked around a little and the forest floor is littered with acorns.

Anyone else seeing this?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I saw tons in the trees while in VC a month ago...

Not many here in the clark / champaign county area.

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
The area I was hunting was a 1/2 acre food plot of winter rye and wheat with an oak flat in front of it. Literally just about every tree is either a red or white and when the wind would gust it was like it was raining acorns. I've heard people say the acorn crop this year wasn't very good, but they sure were dropping this morning.

You plan on doing much hunting down there this year Jack.?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The area I was hunting was a 1/2 acre food plot of winter rye and wheat with an oak flat in front of it. Literally just about every tree is either a red or white and when the wind would gust it was like it was raining acorns. I've heard people say the acorn crop this year wasn't very good, but they sure were dropping this morning.

You plan on doing much hunting down there this year Jack.?

Nope.. The barren wasteland of western VC can suck it... lol.. Till gun season that is.. Then i'll go be part of the problem to fill those unused doe tags.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
huh huh. . . heheheh. . . Beener said bare nuts!:beavis:

I heard a ton of them dropping when I hunted Wednesday night. It wasn't every single tree, but they were falling. Probably 3-4 different trees were dropping consistently that I could hear from the tree stand. The deer walked out of the bottom, straight across a 10-15acre food plot, and fed on acorns behind me. Amazing how the deer can walk thru a smorgasboard and ignore all of it for the acorns. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of deer in the plots as well, but the first thing they went to was the acorns.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Some oak trees here are loaded while others have little to nothing. I have seen an increase with reds and the little pin oaks this year but the white was hit and miss this year. Most of the white acorns was all on the ground over the last couple weeks so they are pretty much all gobbled up now. Sure there might still be a few laying around to draw the deer in.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've been seeing more trees with no acorns than trees that are loaded. Seems like they're pretty scarce in the areas I'm hunting this season.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I found the magic tree a couple weeks ago on Hippie Ridge. It's the only remaining oak that is dropping on a 75 acre tract of land and it sits in a perfect funnel. The first rubs and scrapes I found were right under it. I can't wait to watch the deer pour in to it this weekend...