Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

When does it end? Wildlife officer BS.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I still think it is area specific. To argue a point for Joe, you also have to consider the increased bag limits in the state. How many counties changed from a 2 deer to a 4 deer county last year? There was an increase in the quantity of deer available last year as well. This does not coincide with the decrease in harvest. I personally know a lot more people hunting, getting back into it or just taking it up. Money is tight and people are literally trying to put food on the table by hunting.

I agree with JB and Matt though in regards to the people at the ODNR. I think "most" of them are good intentioned people working a thankless job. Unfortunately, the powers that be which make many of the rules are not the local officers which are understaffed and overworked. Those are the people that don't get the credit they deserve.

73 of 88 counties saw a decrease though, so it doesn't seem very area specific.. Carrol county where JBrown hunts was only down 30 deer out of 300.. So 10%.. But remember the average was close to 30%.. Which means many counties fared FAR worse. And it has gotten worse for them. There was a ramp up when tags, seasons etc were extended.. We saw counties peak out in different years. Some of them are taking longer than others. But they are ALL going to feel the pain.. Only a matter of time... However the DNR has a new excuse in their bag of tricks this year.. Telecheck..., they can easily blame the low numbers on "misreporting" so they can """estimate""" the number is YYY and not ZZZ...