Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cold Weather Camo

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
everything from GWW is hand made in america...they don't be foolin wif the chinese..made by americans.. mine is 10 years old and still looks new. they start their orders in the spring i think for their in stock stuff. they are not out because they didn;t make enough, they are just that good.. JBrowne needs ta sit closer and loner at the dinner table for some manly sizeslmao

Trust me, Milo, I fuggin try... I try like hell. When it comes to packing down the food, this skinny boy can hold his own!

Just a thought; I use wool as well for really chilly days. But, for hunting from a stand when it is really cold, I don't think anything beats the Heater Body Suit. I have had mine for five or six years, and have never been cold while wearing it! I killed a doe a few years back at 5pm. I had gotten in the stand at 6 am that morning...it was -2. That was a long sit, it what should have been miserable conditions, but I stayed warm! In all fairness, it had warmed through the day, it was 17 when I climbed down.

The heater body suit has intrigued me for years. I know that pretty much everyone that has one swears by it. My only thing is I would hate packing the thing in and out of my stands... It's just one more thing to carry, as if I don't already have enough shit on my back and in my hands. lol

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
The HBS is very nice and very warm. I just wasn't agile enough when up on a smaller platform stand to get in and out of it. I had to get a fairly large one due to my size (6'1" 230) and it was like trying to wrestle a gorilla for me putting that thing on. I only used it about a half a dozen times, so I'm sure it's like anything else and practice makes perfect, but I ended up selling mine. Another plus is they hold their value! I sold it for dang near what I paid for it! :)

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I tend to not get too cold, but I got the Scent Lok Timberfleece 360 jacket and pants for Christmas last year and love them. I used them late season in January last year and could sit for 2-3 hours in single digits.

Now I was layered but not bulky. For bottoms I had UA cold gear then wool pants, then the timber fleece pants. Upper body was UA cold gear, fleece shirt, UA hoodie and the timberfleece jacket. I am a firm believer in neck gators, warm hat and one of those hand muff things.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I was looking at the wool clothing and man the prices on a lot of them are crazy... Which got me too thinking, looking at the Army surplus stuff from Europe, you could get the pants/bibs and parka and then get a cheap set of uninsulated coveralls and just wear the coveralls over top of the wool... Save you about 2/3 of the money for the high end stuff.... Just a thought....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Woolrich is still 250-300 for a set.... army surplus 50 for the pants and 60-80 for the parka.... you can pick up a cheap pair of coveralss and your set....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I was looking at the wool clothing and man the prices on a lot of them are crazy... Which got me too thinking, looking at the Army surplus stuff from Europe, you could get the pants/bibs and parka and then get a cheap set of uninsulated coveralls and just wear the coveralls over top of the wool... Save you about 2/3 of the money for the high end stuff.... Just a thought....

I just went to Goodwill and got some wool sweaters.. They're cheep... Deer don't care if you have a Rudolf sweater on under your camo jacket.. :)

Seriously though. I think i know what you're talking about In Korea we had ECWCS. (Extended cold weather Clothing suit) also called a bear suit because it's brown. Also called Snivel gear. Fugger was WARM on this mountains.. Even at -20 and -30 it was nice and toasty.

Here is a link to the bear suit bibs and thr shirt for like 20 bucks each.

http://stores.alleghenywholesale.com/-strse-72/NEW-US-Army-Military/Detail.bok
http://stores.alleghenywholesale.com/-strse-73/NEW-MILITARY-FLEECE-HUNTING/Detail.bok

Here is the polartec fleece Bibs and jacket for 74 bucks
http://stores.alleghenywholesale.com/-strse-178/US-ARMY-POLARTEC-JACKET/Detail.bok

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Looking through the different sites the prices were stupid.... 700 for a pair of bibs..... cheapest woolrich heavyweight jacket was 160....about the same for the pants.... a lot of the good stuff is 22-24 oz weight 80/20 wool polyester then you have the cheaper light weight stuff at 7.5 oz for a few dollars less....

Huckleberry Finn

On this topic...

I've made 2 cold weather purchases lately, a Gander Mountain micro-fleece button up and an Under Armour Ayton berber vest ($50, couldn't pass it up). Throw in my infamous cabela's fleece hoodie and I'll be sweating before I add the predator camo jacket.

On the bottom I've got either cabela's insulated bibs or black carhartts. I will probably buy a pair of predator fleece bibs at some point.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
On this topic...

I've made 2 cold weather purchases lately, a Gander Mountain micro-fleece button up and an Under Armour Ayton berber vest ($50, couldn't pass it up). Throw in my infamous cabela's fleece hoodie and I'll be sweating before I add the predator camo jacket.

On the bottom I've got either cabela's insulated bibs or black carhartts. I will probably buy a pair of predator fleece bibs at some point.

Sounds like you're all set, Huck. You should have plenty of clothes to leave lay around at SR Outfitters now! lmao

I ended up holding out on the GWW wool until a later date... It'll be some day, just not right now. I opted to make the switch to predator camo (something I've always contemplated), and based on all the reviews I don't think I'll be disappointed. I'm getting a fleece jacket, fleece pants, insulated bibs, and a couple hats... all in Fall Gray pattern. I figure with the proper layering, the fleece pants will be plenty warm for the November hunts, and then I can bust out the bibs when it gets really frigid.

Huckleberry Finn

Sounds like you're all set, Huck. You should have plenty of clothes to leave lay around at SR Outfitters now! lmao

I ended up holding out on the GWW wool until a later date... It'll be some day, just not right now. I opted to make the switch to predator camo (something I've always contemplated), and based on all the reviews I don't think I'll be disappointed. I'm getting a fleece jacket, fleece pants, insulated bibs, and a couple hats... all in Fall Gray pattern. I figure with the proper layering, the fleece pants will be plenty warm for the November hunts, and then I can bust out the bibs when it gets really frigid.

You won't be disappointed with the predator stuff. Milo let me borrow his jacket last year for the season before I bought it and it's nice and warm. When I had it on at Sandridge Jesse said "Is that thing as warm as it looks? That's a damn nice jacket!" When the high tech hillbilly is jealous of your clothes, you know you've found something right! It is fall grey as well.