Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cold Weather Camo

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
After telling myself for the last two years that I need some good cold weather camo, I think I may finally take the plunge. Fin Feather Fur is running a 12-months same as cash deal right now and, although I do have the cash to pay in full up front, I'm thinking about taking advantage of that deal.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the Scentblocker Dream Season Pro jacket and pants. This suit is Mossy Oak Treestand, which I really like. It has a lot of great features, but what I really like is the removable wool lining in the jacket.

I've also looked at the Under Armour and Sitka gear, but from what I can tell these garments are all relatively thin and require much more layering for warmth. It seems as though the new UA and Sitka gear are designed more for on-the-move hunting styles, and not so much treestand hunting. The Dream Season suit seems to be incredibly warm and quiet, which is ideal for treestand hunting.

I think I've nearly made up my mind, but I'd like some more opinions on this. Does anyone have, or know anyone that has, any of the Scentblocker Dream Season garments? Are there any suggestions for a different brand? I've looked into Rivers West as well... I like some of the features, but I didn't care for the fit.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I would love to be able to buy one of those suits, they look really comfortable. If I rememebr right, the Under Armour stuff is thin, but still pretty warm. I know Greg is a UA fan. He might be able to fill you in better on that aspect.

Huckleberry Finn

None of this is at the Fin...but...

Milo introduced me to Predator Camo last year and I bought a jacket from him. VERY good stuff. I'll probably get matching bibs soon.

Actually, I just checked and they have the bibs in my size on sale...gonna spring on those very soon. Looks like some good sales

http://www.predatorcamo.com/lrsStore?featured=True&orderBy=newest

I also have a pair of the Cabela's ultimate dry bibs, very warm. And of course I believe in Cabela's fleece products!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
when its really cold i wear wool.. god created it and it cannot be beat IMHO. wonderfull stuff man but the good stuff is expensive. base layers are a must and honestly a good base merino thermal will probably make a cheap suit seem awesome. the key with the cold is wind..i like wool because it is very quiet and never wears out. I have some gray wolf woolens stuff and it is TOP NOTCH....it dries out quickly too. how much cash we talking?

i wanted to add to this...i'd rather be warm and broke than cold and rich when were talkin my tree time...

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
None of this is at the Fin...but...

Milo introduced me to Predator Camo last year and I bought a jacket from him. VERY good stuff. I'll probably get matching bibs soon.

Actually, I just checked and they have the bibs in my size on sale...gonna spring on those very soon. Looks like some good sales

http://www.predatorcamo.com/lrsStore?featured=True&orderBy=newest

I also have a pair of the Cabela's ultimate dry bibs, very warm. And of course I believe in Cabela's fleece products!

I do really like the predator camo patterns, but it seems like the selection and features are pretty limited...

when its really cold i wear wool.. god created it and it cannot be beat IMHO. wonderfull stuff man but the good stuff is expensive. base layers are a must and honestly a good base merino thermal will probably make a cheap suit seem awesome. the key with the cold is wind..i like wool because it is very quiet and never wears out. I have some gray wolf woolens stuff and it is TOP NOTCH....it dries out quickly too. how much cash we talking?

I couldn't agree with you more that wool is king... That's why I like this scentblocker suit so much... The removable liner is made of wool. The jacket is around $320 and the pants are around $200 I think. It would definitely be a long term investment... at least I hope.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
man you could get a set of unlined wool bibs for 190 from gray wolf and a predator jacket for less than 100...thats the exact setup i got. predator is stepping up their game with their clothes and their fleece jacket is super warm and windproof. predator owners are bowhunters so they put some thought into their stuff..

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
man you could get a set of unlined wool bibs for 190 from gray wolf and a predator jacket for less than 100...thats the exact setup i got. predator is stepping up their game with their clothes and their fleece jacket is super warm and windproof. predator owners are bowhunters so they put some thought into their stuff..

Hmmmm.... I will have to give those a look, Milo. Thanks for the heads-up.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wow, I can't believe I've never heard of Gray Wolf Woolens before. From the little research I've done in the last half hour, it seems to be a very popular brand among serious bowhunters. The only problem is, it looks unlikely that I'd have a set before the November hunting trip I'm going on. Hmm..... Go with something else or wait one more season to bite the bullet???

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
UA is very nice, but IMO they don't make anything for extremely cold weather. I have the Ayton II jacket, and a pair of Cabelas outfitter fleece pants that do well down into the 30's with proper layering, but below that it just isn't enough. If I were going to buy something built for cold weather bowhunting, it would be wool bibs and a good windproof fleece with some type of zip out liner.

My biggest concern with cold weather bowhunting is bulk, and that is why I wear UA. You get the warmth without the bulk, but that stuff has its limitations. I'm interested to hear what you end up with and how it does.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks for the input on the UA gear, Flutey. I do like under armour as a layering option, but their outer wear just isn't going to cut it IMO. After trying on some sitka jackets, I think it'd be the same for them as well.

Although my heart was set on the Scentblocker suit, I'm really thinking hard about the GWW wool bibs and predator fleece combo that Milo mentioned. I've read nothing but great reviews on these garments. Best of all, I could get into that set for less than what the Dream Season Pro jacket alone would cost. I think it's going to depend on whether or not I can get into those wool bibs before it gets cold this season. As of right now, GWW's website says they're out of stock in the bibs that I want. I sent an email to the company a couple hours ago, requesting an estimated turnaround time if I were to order ASAP. We shall see what happens....

Big H

Medina
Don't overlook your head, feet and hands! During cold weather it won't matter if you have the best clothing you can buy, if you don't address your extremities, you will be miserable. I use pac boots with the removable liners, a goretex hat and baclava and one of those muffs for my hands with hand warmers. As far as your layers under your clothing fleece, fleece, fleece.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Don't overlook your head, feet and hands! During cold weather it won't matter if you have the best clothing you can buy, if you don't address your extremities, you will be miserable. I use pac boots with the removable liners, a goretex hat and baclava and one of those muffs for my hands with hand warmers. As far as your layers under your clothing fleece, fleece, fleece.

Excellent point, H. Fortunately I'm already well-equipped in the hands-feet-head department.

GWW is out of stock in most of what I want, and the owner told me I'd be looking at next year for new stock. Now if I got some custom-made bibs, I could probably have them by the first week in December of this year. Not sure what I'm going to do now... Might just end up waiting till the offseason afterall. Bummer.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
i can give you a big hug its that makes ya feel warm inside...lmao.. man i will keep an eye out for you

Milo

Tatonka guide.
everything from GWW is hand made in america...they don't be foolin wif the chinese..made by americans.. mine is 10 years old and still looks new. they start their orders in the spring i think for their in stock stuff. they are not out because they didn;t make enough, they are just that good.. JBrowne needs ta sit closer and loner at the dinner table for some manly sizeslmao

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Just a thought; I use wool as well for really chilly days. But, for hunting from a stand when it is really cold, I don't think anything beats the Heater Body Suit. I have had mine for five or six years, and have never been cold while wearing it! I killed a doe a few years back at 5pm. I had gotten in the stand at 6 am that morning...it was -2. That was a long sit, it what should have been miserable conditions, but I stayed warm! In all fairness, it had warmed through the day, it was 17 when I climbed down.