Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

You guys talked me into it

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I still play the wind as much as possible. Not saying I haven't had good luck with the Smoker. Just saying, we need every advantage we can get. BUT, when the wind swirls or changes direction, or the deer come in from a different way than expected. . . thank you Scent Smoker.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Mountaineer..... You know you can only play about 50% of the wind right... There is only an upwind and a downwind.. I choose to hunt 100% of my surroundings not 50%... Therefore I smoke up...

But to your point about not seeing something I didn't know was there.... Both Jd and mrex smoke up...... The buck jd shot this year was all around him for a good bit of time in 20 mph winds.... Nuff said...

Last edited:

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Well I think we are going to here another testimonial here in a little while about how well this thing works.:smiley_clap::smiley_bignews:

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Mountaineer..... You know you can only play about 50% of the wind right... There is only an upwind and a downwind.. I choose to hunt 100% of my surroundings not 50%... Therefore I smoke up...

But to your point about not seeing something I didn't know was there.... Both Jd and mrex smoke up...... The buck jd shot this year was all around him for a good bit of time in 20 mph winds.... Nuff said...

You gotta remember Joe, when a deer is running for his life being chased by merciless gun hunters, he don't have time to stop and check the wind...

Perfect example, Amish gun hunters. Need I say more?

You guys really notice a difference?

If so, I may look into it

LOL! Seriously?!? Do we notice a difference? Did you read this thread at all?

LOL exactly!!
All I can say is I have been 100% sold on it for a couple of years now. My first tried and true moment was sitting on the ground having a doe and two yearlings walk up the same way I did, get 100% down wind of me at less than 10 yards. The doe knew there was something there and made efforts to see what it was but long story short she and her yearlings bedded within 50 yards of me. I hunted the whole day previous and had not taken a shower that night or this particular morning. Only fresh smoke. I did not plan to see deer coming up from my rear like that and with the wind I wasn't too worried about not taking the shower. Thank goodness I smoked up!

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Flute,

You sure like to take your jabs don't you. Listen.. I live 5 hours away from my spot and I get limited time to hunt and worse.. Limited time to scout. I have everything against me.., I gotta hunt when I can hunt and it's usually gun season.
These bucks I'm killin are not running for their lives.. They are sneaking through small funnals. I'm killin these bucks in those quiet periods when hunters get bored and decide to take a stroll. These old bucks don't explode off from hunters.. They stand there and asses the situation .. Then they quietly start sneaking through an escape hatch. It may take them a hour to go 100 yards. But eventually I catch em.

The key for me is patience. I can sit in a stand 8 hours a day all week.

I'm beginning to believe most of you guys know your stuff. So I may check this smoker thong out

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Mounty, my jabs are thrown not because of how you hunt, but the way you continue to belittle people who don't do things your way. I have no doubts you a good at what you do, and I respect that you can consistently kill public land bucks, but your "holier than thou" attitude gets old. I will keep my mouth shut from now on, it just gets under my skin. Again, I respect you as a big buck, public land hunter, just not the ego that comes with...

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Well mounty I used it for the first time ever last night......it cleared my sinuses out and my son shot his first buck too! It makes you feel like a real man when you use it.....you know, you get to light a fire and stuff, smell like hickory smoke.....nothing manlier than that!

I think it's a great addition to an arsenal of tricks.....it's not a cure all or a reason to give you to be more careless or less cautious......just another tool to help improve your odds especially in hilly country.

Huckleberry Finn

Flute,

I live 5 hours away from my spot and I get limited time to hunt and worse.. Limited time to scout. I have everything against me.., I gotta hunt when I can hunt and it's usually gun season.

I'm beginning to believe most of you guys know your stuff. So I may check this smoker thong out

Yup, I know how it feels to not get to hunt and be away from where ya hunt. Makes ya all bitchy.

If you saw half these guys' walls you'd believe they knew their stuff...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Well mounty I used it for the first time ever last night......it cleared my sinuses out and my son shot his first buck too! It makes you feel like a real man when you use it.....you know, you get to light a fire and stuff, smell like hickory smoke.....nothing manlier than that!

I think it's a great addition to an arsenal of tricks.....it's not a cure all or a reason to give you to be more careless or less cautious......just another tool to help improve your odds especially in hilly country.

Amen. Simple and to the point. It boils down to just that for me...

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Mountaineer, the worst possible scenario you would have with the scent smoker is having to wash your clothes and out 40 buck but bet you could get 30 for it used. that's not a bad deal in the end IF it doesn't work out for you. I am betting if you try it, you will be as if not more successful than you already are as your do kill some big deer with your current skillz.