Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

You guys talked me into it

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The two bucks and doe I had in front of me last night were downwind for probably 20min. Don't get me wrong, they stopped and threw their noses in the air a couple times. However, after a couple checks, they went back to their business and hung out down wind of me.

I think the biggest factor is not getting picked off for movement. If your local deer herd starts to equate the smoke smell to hunters, then you are not going to see much activity and you might as well spray down and continue to play the wind because your scent smoker will become a neon sign over your head.

As for deer smelling you, I think that's the most amazing thing about it. It's almost like daring them to pick you off sometimes. They smell until they can't stand it any more and never smell you. It's incredible.

In regards to the "neon signs", it'll take generations for an entire herd to develop that survival instinct. No doubt you can educate a single deer to the smell, but they'd do the same if they smelt your stinky ass. I have no fears that the vast majority of the deer in my area will equate smoke to me any time in my lifetime...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The two bucks and doe I had in front of me last night were downwind for probably 20min. Don't get me wrong, they stopped and threw their noses in the air a couple times. However, after a couple checks, they went back to their business and hung out down wind of me.

I think the biggest factor is not getting picked off for movement. If your local deer herd starts to equate the smoke smell to hunters, then you are not going to see much activity and you might as well spray down and continue to play the wind because your scent smoker will become a neon sign over your head.

I can tell you from experience that this doesn't happen.. If you goof around enough smelling like smoke they may start to be more alert when they encounter smoke; but i don't think they'll ever associate it with imminent danger.. If a deer ran from every area he smelled smoke, he wouldn't have anywhere to live. Out of the hundreds of times a deer has smelled smoke in it's life, only once did he associate it with a threat. Even twice I don't think that's enough for him to treat every smokey situation in the future with grave care. Obviously however if you keep spooking deer with movement time again from the same stand, they'll begin to associate that spot as a danger. But you probably will still see the deer... The smoke still wont bother them, but bet your ass they'll walk out and look right up at your stand to see if you're in it.

Last edited:

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
As for deer smelling you, I think that's the most amazing thing about it. It's almost like daring them to pick you off sometimes. They smell until they can't stand it any more and never smell you. It's incredible.

In regards to the "neon signs", it'll take generations for an entire herd to develop that survival instinct. No doubt you can educate a single deer to the smell, but they'd do the same if they smelt your stinky ass. I have no fears that the vast majority of the deer in my area will equate smoke to me any time in my lifetime...

Do we need a Darwin lesson on evolution here? The Injuns used smoke... if it's good for them it's good for us.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Your thought process here is spot on. When hunting the hills, you might as well throw the whole "playing the wind" scheme out the window. Swirling winds and thermal currents make it virtually impossible to play the wind effectively, IMO. In all honesty, since making my own move to the "dark side," I don't really worry about playing the wind anywhere that I hunt.

I am with you here JB. I hunt lots from 3 acres to 80 acres being the largest. With small lots like this I find it almost pointless to try and play the wind. I just do my best to smoke the heck out of everything and go hunt.

saddlepants

central Ohio
I am with you here JB. I hunt lots from 3 acres to 80 acres being the largest. With small lots like this I find it almost pointless to try and play the wind. I just do my best to smoke the heck out of everything and go hunt.

Im with you on that. Smoking has been by far the best thing Ive learned from this forum and I like the fact that when I go in for lunch I can "refresh" before I go back out.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Im with you on that. Smoking has been by far the best thing Ive learned from this forum and I like the fact that when I go in for lunch I can "refresh" before I go back out.

I am laughing as I picture this one: Some ladies powder their noses at lunch. Not Saddlepants, she smokes up her gear! rotflmao

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Hanging a stand this morning about 9:30 I had this dude come out of the corn and hang around. Check the shadows. The stands facing east. And there is a strong West wind today... That dude is straight down wind.

Or how about this dude... On the ground at 15 yards. No blind. No nothing... Stand and sticks on my back I saw him walking towards me before he saw me.
http://s712.photobucket.com/albums/...utf-8BSU1HMDAyNDUtMjAxMTEwMTUtMDkwMS5qcGc.jpg

Last edited:

epe

Lancaster
Hanging a stand this morning about 9:30 I had this dude come out of the corn and hang around. Check the shadows. The stands facing east. And there is a strong West wind today... That dude is straight down wind.

Http://s712.photobucket.com/albums/...ion=view&current=utf-8BZG93biB3aW5kLmpwZw.jpg

Or how about this dude... On the ground at 15 yards. No blind. No nothing... Stand and sticks on my back I saw him walking towards me before he saw me.

http://s712.photobucket.com/albums/...utf-8BSU1HMDAyNDUtMjAxMTEwMTUtMDkwMS5qcGc.jpg

You saw smiley faces in the woods?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Cool pics Joe. I hung a stand across the road this morning. Probably about 100 yards from where you ran out of ammo. I put the puzzle together over there last spring while mushroom hunting. Saw a dandy 8 this summer (140-150) over there. I'm hoping he strolls by the new set...dang, there is nothing better than a new stand site to make ya want to hunt!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I got something in the mail today......

I opened the package tonight and my daughter knew what it was........she said, "it's a bee smoker just like Billy the exterminator uses!"

I plan on firing it up tomorrow.

Derek j

Knox Co.
I started smoking my gear last year. I was sold on it when I could hunt from any set I had on the farm, and didn't have to worry about wind. Now as long as I sit my azz still, I have the ball in my court. Last year I used a small ash pail to burn in, then hold the gear over it. This year I am using an old bee smoker my dad has. Works great!!

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Jack,

Nice pics....

What about the downwinded 4.5 yr old 160"er that you never saw?:smiley_bril:

Play the wind my friend.:smiley_coolpeace: