Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

You guys talked me into it

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
DITTO

That picture is so bad ass, even Joe Dirt would be impressed. I gotta try the tonneau cover method!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
PS - I do know how to do it, but I often only quote part of the OP....that was I can misquote and take things out of context easier. And frequently.
While I'm steering this thread off course, can someone make a smoker smilie?
--

BTW, Gern, have you factored getting less :pickle: because of the smoker?

Then quote it normally but remove the unwanted text. Doing it the other way removes not only who said it but also the redirect to that post.. It's like you're quoting nobody... Don't make me take the
button out... lmao

saddlepants

central Ohio
I havent spent a dime. I take the daily cardboard and paper trash out before i get ready and set it afire in the pit. throw a few good hardwood sticks on it and go get ready. By the time im heading out to my truck its all down and smokey. I just stand there in the downwind holding all my gear...the neighbors must think I'm nutz...BTW THANKS GUYS for the advise!! That buck last night never worried about me a bit and he came from downwind at less than 15 when he stopped to check out the apples lol! I'm Sold on it.

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
I kill two birds with one stone...I set up my blind and hang my clothes from the ceiling supports and smoke the hell out of the inside ! I just think it has a better chance of covering every inch of your clothes inside and out.....plus now my blind has a cover scent!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I kill two birds with one stone...I set up my blind and hang my clothes from the ceiling supports and smoke the hell out of the inside ! I just think it has a better chance of covering every inch of your clothes inside and out.....plus now my blind has a cover scent!

I have a buddy who does the same.... He was a little slow getting a smoker but after my results with deer up close and persoal he broke down and got one.... Offered too let him use mine he said hell with it I'll just buy my own rotflmao

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Holy shit! Stop the fuggin' presses!!! I think the world just stopped spinning for a brief moment in time! lmao

Welcome to the dark side Chad! Take note fellow smokers, if we can sell The Gernmiester on the smoker, we could sell one to the CEO of Scent Lok! LOL!!! I hope you have great success with it buddy. Joe and I talked today and I honestly consider the smoker the No. 1 tactic I employ. Not that my track record means much, but I spend hours upon hours in the woods and my success with it is well documented. I'll be anxiously waiting for some stories!!!

hunter11

Akron
All right I have seen how everyone loves this smoker. Now the question is how much and do I get it at a store or order on line?

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Holy shit! Stop the fuggin' presses!!! I think the world just stopped spinning for a brief moment in time! lmao

Welcome to the dark side Chad! Take note fellow smokers, if we can sell The Gernmiester on the smoker, we could sell one to the CEO of Scent Lok! LOL!!! I hope you have great success with it buddy. Joe and I talked today and I honestly consider the smoker the No. 1 tactic I employ. Not that my track record means much, but I spend hours upon hours in the woods and my success with it is well documented. I'll be anxiously waiting for some stories!!!

I've never had a huge problem with scent control in the past, but I am going to hunt hill country very soon and I know how the wind can swirl and you have to deal with thermals.......I might also be going to the UP in a month and the deer up there have twice the senses that these Ohio deer do.....the real test will be in the UP. The good thing is everybody up there burns wood, so it should work like a dream.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The two bucks and doe I had in front of me last night were downwind for probably 20min. Don't get me wrong, they stopped and threw their noses in the air a couple times. However, after a couple checks, they went back to their business and hung out down wind of me.

I think the biggest factor is not getting picked off for movement. If your local deer herd starts to equate the smoke smell to hunters, then you are not going to see much activity and you might as well spray down and continue to play the wind because your scent smoker will become a neon sign over your head.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've never had a huge problem with scent control in the past, but I am going to hunt hill country very soon and I know how the wind can swirl and you have to deal with thermals.......I might also be going to the UP in a month and the deer up there have twice the senses that these Ohio deer do.....the real test will be in the UP. The good thing is everybody up there burns wood, so it should work like a dream.

Your thought process here is spot on. When hunting the hills, you might as well throw the whole "playing the wind" scheme out the window. Swirling winds and thermal currents make it virtually impossible to play the wind effectively, IMO. In all honesty, since making my own move to the "dark side," I don't really worry about playing the wind anywhere that I hunt.