Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

You guys talked me into it

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Well, I broke down and ordered a "Smoker"

Never thought I would do it, but I trust you guys enough that I just had to try it!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I think the type of wood is personal preference, I've always used hickory because I like the smell and it's easy to find the smoking chips in the grilling section of most wal marts/lowes/menards. But if you have access to others types of wood chips, I don't think it matters.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Gern I was sold on opening night this year which was my first day using the smoker. I had a nice mature doe feed for an hour within 20 yards completely circling me and she never once became alert.

Huckleberry Finn

You've heard all the stories about it, now just enjoy firing the thing up, shaking it, smoking all of your clothes laughing, saying "I'm a dumbass...there's no way this works."

And then be amazed when it does...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Gern, i'm sure you have seen on here before when guys recommend having a handheld torch, it is a must when trying to light the smoker IMO.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ahhh, welcome to the smokey side, Chad! Trust me, I was a skeptic for the longest time also... But since I got a smoker last year, I can't imagine deer hunting without it. Like Huck said, you've heard the stories... it is legit.

I'm just finishing up a bag of hickory chips and, although I like the hickory smoke, I may be looking for oak chips just to try something different. It's probably going to be a little more difficult to find anything other than hickory chips, but we'll see.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Meijer has bags of wood chips on clearance right now in their grill / outdoor area. I picked up a couple bags of oak chips last week pretty cheap.

And yeah, using a propane torch is the way to go. The chips light up in seconds and you'll be smokin' in no time!!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Meijer has bags of wood chips on clearance right now in their grill / outdoor area. I picked up a couple bags of oak chips last week pretty cheap.

And yeah, using a propane torch is the way to go. The chips light up in seconds and you'll be smokin' in no time!!

Thanks for the heads-up!

Oh and Gern, no matter how many times guys tell you, make sure to be wary of the infamous Scent Smoker backfire! lmao After smoking for a bit, puffing and puffing away, that fire will start to burn hot inside and it'll throw a small burst of flame right out of the smoker. After a close call or two (or three), I tend to smoke my face/head area first, before it really get's going hot.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yeah buddy! As far as chips go. Just hardwood chips, no soft stuff like pine poplar etc.. Most just use store bought smoking chips. Have fun and try not to laugh too loud when you see a deer do the smoker sniff and it hits you " holy shit! It worked."

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Sitting in brush blind, 3 does within 10 yds last Sunday, sitting facing wrong direction couldn't move didn't wanna blow the stand. They didn't smell a thing.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I have an outdoor wood boiler that I have used somewhat to smoke up in the past.....I think I will cut a hole in a plastic tub and then put my clothes in there and smoke them up....can't wait to see the results.

Do you guys still use scent killing sprays in addition to the smoker?

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Atta boy Gern!!! You'll be hooked as soon as you try it. Like rgecko said, still use the spray on the boots, and other items, just don't worry about it as much. I love my smoker!

Here's a yearling that stayed DDW of me for almost 40mins last night. She never once spooked, and neither did her mamma 2 weeks ago before she met the Muzzy :)