Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

You guys talked me into it

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Mountaineer, the worst possible scenario you would have with the scent smoker is having to wash your clothes and out 40 buck but bet you could get 30 for it used. that's not a bad deal in the end IF it doesn't work out for you. I am betting if you try it, you will be as if not more successful than you already are as your do kill some big deer with your current skillz.

And don't forget mountaineer, if you don't like it, I GUARANTEE you will find someone on this site who would buy it from you.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Well..I will admit..My biggest probelm with Bow hunting is my scent. It ruined 2 hunts last year..Both situations the Doe the bucks were following nailed me. One of the doe;s busted me at about 80 yards..She came out of the pines around 12:30pm and Mr. big boy was cautiously following her. She started heading in my direction when she hit the brakes.. sniffed the air ..snorted and bolted back into the pines.. The big buck followed her back in.

Fellas..I just bought a brand new popup tent trailer for hunting. Will this smoker stink it up?. If so, my wife will kill me.

Ill check this smoker thing out.

jbrown..Good point

Flute,

No belittling here..I'm Just skeptical.. thats all. Over the years..or i should say decades(I'm old)..Ive learned that these big bucks are suspicious animals. They are suspicious of everything. So..my approach is to try and not allow them to sense the fact that im in their area. So..I try and position myself so they dont know im there...It doesnt always work and i guess thats where the smoker would come into play. So..Smoking myself up with stinky smoke kinda goes against my thinking for the past 30 years.

JD and Gern both use it? Id say thats enough endorsement to convince me..Seems they kill monster bucks just about every year.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well..I will admit..My biggest probelm with Bow hunting is my scent. It ruined 2 hunts last year..Both situations the Doe the bucks were following nailed me. One of the doe;s busted me at about 80 yards..She came out of the pines around 12:30pm and Mr. big boy was cautiously following her. She started heading in my direction when she hit the brakes.. sniffed the air ..snorted and bolted back into the pines.. The big buck followed her back in.

Fellas..I just bought a brand new popup tent trailer for hunting. Will this smoker stink it up?. If so, my wife will kill me.

Ill check this smoker thing out.

jbrown..Good point

Nah, the camper will be fine. Just keep your hunting gear in rubbermaid totes.

The smoker will really compliment your hunting style, Mntr. Like you, I spend a week or so in southern ohio and hunt just about every waking minute of it. There's no washing machine to run the hunting gear through midway through the week... And sometimes it gets warm down there, so perspiration is definitely an issue. With the scent smoker, I don't need to wash my gear while I'm down there. I just add more smoke if I need it. While the other guys are fuggin around with scentkiller spray and making their clothes damp, I'm rolling out nice warm puffy smoke and smelling like a campfire. Oddly enough, it seems like if you sweat or get wet, it actually makes the smoke odor seem stronger.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Oddly enough, it seems like if you sweat or get wet, it actually makes the smoke odor seem stronger.

I have noticed this as well. If it's warm out and I walk to my stand the smoke smell gets stronger. I have also noticed that if you get in your stand and the warm sun hits you and warms up your cloths the scent is stronger.

I'm telling you guys. I wouldn't have gotten a shot at my buck this year if it wasn't for the smoke cover scent. I had just walked over to my trail cam and changed the SD card not even an hour before he came in. He smelled something but he couldn't place it and finished walking in to 7 yards from the stand. That was his end :smiley_clap:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Well mounty I used it for the first time ever last night......it cleared my sinuses out and my son shot his first buck too! It makes you feel like a real man when you use it.....you know, you get to light a fire and stuff, smell like hickory smoke.....nothing manlier than that!

I think it's a great addition to an arsenal of tricks.....it's not a cure all or a reason to give you to be more careless or less cautious......just another tool to help improve your odds especially in hilly country.
Congratulations to your son!

Stump

Ass Regulator
Just popped in an saw another Smoker thread...I've used one for several years now and can say I've had great results....where I hunt in SE Ohio is one ridge after another...it doesn't matter which way the wind is from, it's gonna swirl back on itself when it rolls across the ridge, you can sit with it in your face an next thing ya know its on your back....bottom line is the smoke covers your scent ....hell I've bought em an gave em to friens .... use it ...don't use ...I'm just sayin it works for me...if a deer beds within 10 yards from me in my ground blind I'd say it's pretty effective.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Ever been around a structure fire after it has been doused out. You can't have a stronger smell. All that wet burnt wood. I love that smell.