Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Buying Property

blemas

Summit County
Well, it has been a long time since I have taken part here, wife and kid, work, house and grad school have monopolized my time lately, I wasn't even sure if I would be able to put any quality time in the stand this season.
My wife and I had intended on making a move South in the next couple of years, Georgia to be exact but it looks like we are going to have to push that back awhile, probably till my six year old is out of school. So, in order to make our time here more enjoyable, we have decided to purchase some land in the next couple of years. I want to look at parcels between 25 - 50 acres. The questions that I have are:

1) which counties would you be looking at and why.
2) how screwed am I with my current time horizon in light of the recent land grab for gas rights

My current hunting land is in Southern Tusc. at my parents place but dealing with the neighbors is becoming a bit problematic.

Also, I want a place of my own to do with it as I please.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
My best advice is to buy where your family would like to be on the weekends. If you have to drive much to get there then that is another "reason" to not utilize it.

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
With small acreages like that talk with the neighbors. As you mentioned, the neighbors can make your life a living hell while you are hunting. Talk around and see what the neighbors are like. If they share the same passion as you it will probably work out. If they like to run 4-wheelers and dirt bikes all day I would look elsewhere. I would much rather have a neighbor who shoots anything that moves than a neighbor who runs 4 wheelers and dirt bikes everytime I am trying to enjoy my hunt.

Also look at the amount of people the old owner allowed to hunt. Will you be spending the first year running people out during your hunting time?

Look at neighbors who only own an acre or two next to you. Sometimes these can be the worse ones for trespassing.

Also make sure you own ALL mineral and timber rights before buying.

Make sure property is surveyed and marked before taking ownership so you know exactly what you own and what you don't own. It's amazing how many people in S and E Ohio who don't really know what they own.

If I could buy anywhere I would buy in highland or Northern adams county. But you are talking $4,000+ an acre for decent property. This is why I own in SE Ohio where land can be bought for $2,000 or less an acre all day long.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My wife and I have had this discussion off and on since we got married nearly 12yrs ago. In my opinion, now is the time. If you can swing it, do it now. Land is one of the few assets which holds its value. Not sure about land values due to the gas rights, but I would think it would be dictated by which areas they are looking to move the drilling rigs to next. Jesse would be a good one to ask on this subject. In regards to "where", I would think that would be up to you. How far do you want to travel? How far away is too far to maintain easily? How far is too far away to keep an eye on it and keep the trespassers out? Good luck.

Got to agree with Beentown. Distance to get there should be a major consideration. I live in Summit County and bought my property in Carroll County. About as close as you will find reasonably priced rural land and good hunting. Only about an hour from Akron and good roads all the way.

The land grab for gas rights could be an issue. But, you could always purchase land without mineral rights. I think land prices will go back down in time as some landowners sell property that they just made a killing on with a gas lease. The lease can retain in their hands and they can give up the property at a discount. I recently signed a lease in Carroll County that netted me five times my initial innvestment on my property I bought 7 years ago. I could give the land away and still would have made a great investment. I think some landowners will think this way. I bought my land strictly as a place for hunting. It has ended up being a family getaway. The property had electric on site when purchased we purchased it. We have since built a small rustic cabin.

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
Travel time is an issue. I takes me a solid 90 min to get to my place. The further west I go the more it costs per acre (flatter ground). Around the Dayton area here it is nothing to pay $8-10,000 an acre. Too rich for this cowboy. At the same time being 90 min away prevents me from over hunting it as well and when I go down there I feel like I am getting away.

Keep in mind with small acreages like this there is a good chance deer you shoot will run off the property. Will your neighbors allow you to retrieve it? Something I would ask before buying a place. If your neighbors won't allow you to get the deer then you are pretty much stuck to hunting the middle of your property and not the edges. On 25 acres, even in the middle of the property, the property lines are probably only 200-300 yards away in any direction.

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Well, it has been a long time since I have taken part here, wife and kid, work, house and grad school have monopolized my time lately, I wasn't even sure if I would be able to put any quality time in the stand this season.
My wife and I had intended on making a move South in the next couple of years, Georgia to be exact but it looks like we are going to have to push that back awhile, probably till my six year old is out of school. So, in order to make our time here more enjoyable, we have decided to purchase some land in the next couple of years. I want to look at parcels between 25 - 50 acres. The questions that I have are:

1) which counties would you be looking at and why.
2) how screwed am I with my current time horizon in light of the recent land grab for gas rights

My current hunting land is in Southern Tusc. at my parents place but dealing with the neighbors is becoming a bit problematic.

Also, I want a place of my own to do with it as I please.

its not looking good ...most land will be without mineral rights and triple in value very quickly as people try to sieze ground. it will be an uphill climb.