Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

If you had to pick one day...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
For the seeking phase and good buck movement in general you can't beat November 4-7th......but November 8th is when more GIANT bucks fall across the country on a yearly basis....this year should be no different.

Normally, I'd agree with you on this, Chad, as November 8th is one of my favorite all-time days to be in the woods... However, I think this year the most chasing is going to occur the week of the 14th. Ol' Charlie predicted this, and I hope he's right, because I'll be on vacation from the 11th through the 18th! :)

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Normally, I'd agree with you on this, Chad, as November 8th is one of my favorite all-time days to be in the woods... However, I think this year the most chasing is going to occur the week of the 14th. Ol' Charlie predicted this, and I hope he's right, because I'll be on vacation from the 11th through the 18th! :)

You might be right, but I wonder how many bucks will already be dead by the time you go on vacation?

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Well Im going to be off Nov. 6-16 so im hoping that one of those days will be lucky.... Either way if Im picking one day for an all day sit im going to say Nov. 7..... only reasoning is bc its a few days before the new moon and I expect alot of mid day movement during the full moon, especially if the temps work with us this year!

deerburger

*Supporting Member*
This thread has got me pumped. I was all bummed because we had to push our brothers hunting trip back a week to Nov 2-9 for a wedding. After seeing these answers, it looks like our luck might not be so bad after all. :smiley_clap:

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
For me, its about hunter pressure. Ive noticed the hunters start rolling into the publicland i hunt about the 5th of November. When this happens, Ive noticed buck movement during the day plumments. The mass influx of hunters causes havoc in my area...Im gonna hunt before the mass amounts of hunters hit my publicland. The biggest factor being succesful on publicland is understanding what hunter pressure does to the bucks...Ive been hunting publicland all my life and its the same thing every year. Im to the point now that i can use hunter pressure to my advantage.

If you want my advice, Publicland hunters should be hunting the last week of October HARD. That advice comes from 30 years of hunting publicland.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
For me, its about hunter pressure. Ive noticed the hunters start rolling into the publicland i hunt about the 5th of November. When this happens, Ive noticed buck movement during the day plumments. The mass influx of hunters causes havoc in my area...Im gonna hunt before the mass amounts of hunters hit my publicland. The biggest factor being succesful on publicland is understanding what hunter pressure does to the bucks...Ive been hunting publicland all my life and its the same thing every year. Im to the point now that i can use hunter pressure to my advantage.

If you want my advice, Publicland hunters should be hunting the last week of October HARD. That advice comes from 30 years of hunting publicland.

I thought you said you were 32?

If I had to guess, I would say Nov 4-8 in my area. Of course, anyday from last week in October to third week in November can be great. Even early December for the second rut can be good. I have killed my bucks on November 21 and December 3. I am still leaning towards first week in November though. Hopefully for me, it will be tomorrow night. First hunt on local turf for me and only second person to enter the property in the last month.