Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Riverdude's Hunting Log, Kind Off.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
My question is about your use of bait. Are you using a good bait to lure them in from other properties? What seems to work best for you and when? Do you hunt from a blind or a stand?

Aaaaaaaaaa yes....................the bait question. Let me start of by saying I take my hunting serious and only purchase the top of the line products, none of these cheap brands. Bait of choice currently is Jiffy Creamy Peanut Butter. I find it easy to work with, it can be applied to my trap's in a "Jiffy" ( I know bad one ). I am also considering Extra Crunchy in the future. My line of thought is with the addition of the actual peanut I may possibly double my success. I will keep you posted on this subject.

If I find my luck turning south with the current population in my hunting area I plan on setting up on a area that borders my hunting area. It is a beautiful grassy area that surrounds my whole location. I planning a set up along a area of trails the intersect to my trailer. I will try a new method, one that the mud engineering is using with the 5 gallon bucket and soda can.

I find hunting during the day brings poor success if any. Early moring seems to be best. I don't beleive in using a blind I am a believer of meeting them face to face. At times I lay on the couch not moving, actually I act like I am asleep, this method seems to work, the mouse thinks all is well and they tend to go back to their normal routine.

I hope this additional information will help you Saddlepants.

Last edited:

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
10/11/11

Evening hunt. I actually was not going out due to the fact evening hunts have not been productive. I went to the Co. Man's shack for a late dinner, yes I left my hunting grounds behind me for food. It was a late dinner, later then I had expected. I come back to my trailer to monitor gas as we begin to trip pipe. I assume my postion on the couch watching MLB playoffs with a occasional jump over to Pawn Stars. I am getting tired, fighting back from falling a sleep. It is one of those evenings where I say "Heck, I am just going to roll over and take a nap", but then something, I don't know from where tells me "No..........Stay up! If you set the traps they will come". It was strange but yet up and lifting. I was so tired, had no business being up but I did.
I was rewared once again.

Total count - 3 days, 5 mice.

I must now go my friends of TOO and reset for what tomorrow will bring.

Last edited:

Huckleberry Finn

Damn you're on a roll...I had a contest with my dad one yr in the garage and got beat like 7-1! And that was running multiple traps. How many traps are you running?

Have you thought about smoking up? Is there one camo that you feel more confident in than another?

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Seems my coon record for one location is in trouble. I think your wiser hunting practices far surpass that of mine my friend. Keep up the good work and who knows, you might get enough to make a banana hammock out of them. Keeps ya warm on those cold winter nights in the trailer I bet.

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
10/12/11 Riverdude's Hunting Log.

As I sit here in my hunting area I am facing a slap in the face with reality, a gut check.................yes I look at the clock on the wall, 4 hours and 45 minutes before the start of a new day. Will I be skunked for the first time in 4 days? I think to myself "Have I done Something Wrong?", "Did I Setup Wrong?". Conditons seem right however it has been raining most of the day. I think to myself just hang in there, they will show, but perhaps the rain is causing them to sit tight, holding them in their bedding areas until it clears. I am seconding guessing myself now. I know my luck cannot last forever but this was not the way I thought it would end. Perhaps a malfunction of a trap, perhaps my bait was stolen, that I can deal with but not being skunked. This could be a long sleepless night as I toss and turn wondering what if. Sigh............
Perhaps I have lost it. I will do some soul searching these next few hours, perhaps.........yes perhaps I should hang my traps up and call it a season. :smiley_chinrub:

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Well due to my work load I have failed all of you not posting updates and photos, for that I am sorry. I am proud to say with this mornings catch I am up to 9 mice in like a week and a half, I hold the championship belt on Rig 317 for the most mice caught this season.............BAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Saddlepants, please allow me to spend some time researching my notes on the Bat issue. The few times I have had the privalege of a bat I would open the sliding doors, turn the lights out in the house and turn the deck lights on and the little bugger would fly out. Either that or buzz like bug and he will follow you out. :)