Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coyotes running deer: Not cool

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Maybe this should be in the "Trail Camera" pictures section, but I think it also fits in the General Deer Hunting category. I swapped some camera cards yesterday and found this series of pictures. While many on here won't doubt it and agree, it seems the DNR in too many states turn the blind eye to this happening whether it is coyotes or wolves. Just irritates me.

Attachments

• PICT0773 coyotes running deer 10-3-11.jpg
    PICT0773 coyotes running deer 10-3-11.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 230
  • PICT0774 coyotes running deer 10-3-11.jpg
    PICT0774 coyotes running deer 10-3-11.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 264
  • PICT0775 coyotes running deer 10-3-11.jpg
    PICT0775 coyotes running deer 10-3-11.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 228
  • PICT0776 coyotes running deer 10-3-11.jpg
    PICT0776 coyotes running deer 10-3-11.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 221
  • PICT0777 coyotes running deer 10-3-11.jpg
    PICT0777 coyotes running deer 10-3-11.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 258

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I have seen that done first hand when I was in the back country of Montana/Idaho. Seen a yote chasing a doe down through the woods one afternoon while we was riding horses to check out a valley for elk. It's the nature of the beast. One is the predator and the other is pray plain and simple. The young, old, and weak will not survive if a yote wants it bad enough. It sucks but it does keep the heath of the herd strong by taking out the sick unfortunately some of the young never get a chance to grow up.

With my buck tag filled and my extra doe tags only good until late November I see myself going on a yote hunt a time or two this winter. No natural predators keeping them in check means I have to do it and I will fun shooting each and every single one I can lmao.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
damn things last nite a ambulance was going down a road close to the house. you shoulda heard all the yotes goin nuts over the siren. gonna have to get after them in the winter.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wow, Phil... that is one amazing series of pictures. You're absolutely right, though. Coyotes kill a lot more deer than most realize. Not so much the adults, but they get a shit load of fawns. I used to be a skeptic, too.... But last spring I walking a property up here, and found what looked like coyote skat from a few yards away. Upon closer look, it was indeed coyote skat... and it was nothing but reddish-brown fur, and fawn hoof.

fishwendel2

Phil...there are a lot of coyotes where I hunt in Logan county and I have witnessed them chasing deer thru the fields. Sit in a stand until 1/2 before dark, watch 13 deer creep out of the woods, work there way towards my stand then here comes the coyotes like clock work. Happens every night in this field. Last Sat night there were 8, yes 8 chasing deer. Almost a one to one ratio. Maybe I just need to spend an evening with my gun instead of crossbow :)

epe

Lancaster
Phil...there are a lot of coyotes where I hunt in Logan county and I have witnessed them chasing deer thru the fields. Sit in a stand until 1/2 before dark, watch 13 deer creep out of the woods, work there way towards my stand then here comes the coyotes like clock work. Happens every night in this field. Last Sat night there were 8, yes 8 chasing deer. Almost a one to one ratio. Maybe I just need to spend an evening with my gun instead of crossbow :)

No brainer there. You have to get rid of those yotes.

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
cool pics.. it does suck when you see yotes down a nice buck... Rember its called balance. there are not that many deer beign taken by yotes as there are deer beign taking by vehicle crashes... I think the insurance companies put pressure on the DNR to up the limit on deer so the cost is not so bad for them.... JMTC... yotes are part of the balance, its not like they are getting 1 out of every two fawns.... Go out and try hunting them, they certainly aren't dumb... not with a rifle with a bow a shotgun....