Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Redclouds 11/12 season

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I felt left out lmao.

9/24
Found me in my pasture stand for a late morning hunt. I had never been in this set other then the day I hung it so I wasn't comfortable trying it in the dark for an early morning hunt. I got to my stand at 11am to check the trail cam and decided to climb up for a sit. This was the first time in this location so I wanted some seat time in an observation stand to see where the deer may be moving from in the lower pastures. I sat there until 5pm when the neighbors 400 yards away started target shooting with handguns. They did that until just after 6pm and I was hopeful the deer would venture out in that last hour of daylight but I didn't think they would with all that noise. I was right, no deer at all that day.

9/27
Found me once again in the pasture stand for an evening hunt. I climbed into my stand at 5pm in the rain. A little later then I like but none the less I was there to hunt rain and all. I had changed SD cards from the trail cam before I climbed up so I took a quick look at those pics while waiting for the deer to start moving. Everything put away and settled in at 5:30 for the evening. About 5:40 I look out into the pasture to see 5 turkey picking bugs off the grass as they crossed from west to east and then to the south. After the turkey worked their way to the south end of the pasture I heard a chipmunk start chirping to my right. I had a feeling he seen something but I couldn't see anything yet myself. 5:55 I see movement to my right and I look over to see a small rack 10pt standing there. He proceeded to walk over to where my trail cam was and started sniffing the air near my cam. Satisfied with his nose he walked another 6 yards over to my mineral site where I smacked him with a braodhead. 5:58pm my buck was on the ground and my tag was filled for the season.

9/30
My buddy stops by the house to ask a few questions and get my thoughts on hunting spots that evening. I pulled up all the pics I had gotten from the pasture cam as well as an aerial map of the property. After about an hour and a half we had decided where he should spend his evening hunt. He decided to go with my suggestion and headed out to the pasture closer to the corner of the woods. Later that evening at almost 7pm he texted me asking for some assistance tracking a buck he had shot. We looked for a couple hours to no avail. The next morning found us once again looking for his buck. We had another friend lend us a hand and we all looked for about 7hrs with no luck.

As of today 10/3 here is where I'm at for the season.

Does Seen: 0
Bucks Seen: 2
Deer Killed: 1
Morning Hunts: 1
Evening Hunts: 2
All Day Sits: 0
Total Hunts: 3
Hours on Stand: 9
Average Time Per Hunt: 3 Hours

Guided hunts
Clients: 1
Bucks seen: 1
Doe seen: 0
Deer shot: 1
Time guiding : 1.5hrs.
Time tracking 9hrs.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I headed out this evening. Got to the stand around 5 and sat there watching all the wildlife and taking it all in. I happen to see an eagle fly down the river looking for dinner. Pretty fuggin cool and a first for me. Watched the fox squirrel run up the fence post and check my cam out. Had my personal little alarm under my tree the entire time I was there, fuggin chipmunks lol.

I think the deer at the pasture stand are still all stirred up from when we went looking for Dantes buck last Friday/Saturday. It should come back around here soon and the deer will be working the trail again. I won't get time to head out again until sometime next week to check cams and see whats moving where. I got Greg camping here next weekend so I need to find me some deerz for video lol. Hate to have him drive all that way to watch tree rats run all over the place lol.

Does Seen: 0
Bucks Seen: 2
Deer Killed: 1
Morning Hunts: 1
Evening Hunts: 3
Total Hunts: 4
Hours on Stand: 11.5
Average Time Per Hunt: 2.875 hrs.

Guided hunts
Bucks seen: 1
Doe seen: 0
Deer shot: 1
Time guiding : 1.5hrs.
Time tracking 9hrs.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
That eagle sighting would be awesome to witness. I hate chipmunks!lol

It was and I do too kind of lol.

I have a love hate relationship with a few of natures little tattletale. Chipmunks suck when your trying to sneak into your stand for an afternoon/evening hunt but on the flipside, they can help you by doing the same chirp at something working through the woods that you haven't even seen yet. Take last Tuesday for example. I hear the chipmunks start chirping in the nearby woods and I look over to see 5 turkey work out of the treeline and out into the pasture. They settle back down for a few minutes only to start chipping again. I look over and see nothing but then a minute or two later I see my buck come walking out from underneath the trees heading in my direction from where those chipmunks had just been chirping. I didn't see him but the chipmunks did and told me to look and keep an eye out in that direction.

There are many other little tattletales out there. Bluejays, crows, and squirrels (especially the little red squirrel) just to name a few. If you think about it I bet you guys can think of a few others.

There also seem to be a few animals the will let deer know things are calm and they can come out too. I can think of a couple like, turkey and fox squirrels. I'm sure there are others but I just can't think of any others right off hand. A property dad and I hunted years ago when he was still alive I would see fox squirrels all the time. They would tick me off making all that racket foraging for nuts in the leaf litter but almost everytime they worked there way out of site, a deer would come in from the direction the squirrels went. I don't know if it was just a coincidence or what but it was definitely something lol.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
With the warmer weather this weekend 10/8 I am skipping the hunts. Instead I will get a few things done around the house that I have been putting off all week lol. I won't get back out until Thursday evening and again Saturday. There looks to be a front moving in late Wednesday night and cooling things off as of right now so we will see what happens the beginning of the week because we all know the weather will change about 4x by then lol.

If your going out this weekend Good Luck and post up some pics.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
10/10

Went out and drove my block since I hadn't been out there all weekend. Found they had cut all the beans down. Time to move the pasture stand and start hunting the cornfield edge or the oak flats. I might just hunt the field edge out of the climber and put the hang-on stand on the oak flats just so I don't have to move it again until after season lol. I need to also pull my other hang-on stand and bring it back to the house and look it over really well. I never got it pulled down last year.

Hurry up Wednesday

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Went and pulled my woods cam that I had in the north block. While looking at the 10s video I ran across this little sequence of 2 guys running coondogs and the first clip the second guy looked to have a gun with him ? It might have been the leads to the dogs he had slung over his far shoulder but I can't tell. Glad to see some coons will be taken out :)

[video=youtube;ioFDXz6Y3GE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioFDXz6Y3GE&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/video]

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I don't think it's a rifle. Rarely do I carry a rifle slung when coon hunting. Most times it's in my hand as i have to bob and weave through God knows what getting to the dogs. I think he just has his arm in the leash.. Many times when i sling my leashes over my shoulder and across my chest i put my arm in the the loop like a sling. I also rest my arm on my battery pack. Kind of like a cop does on his service piece. In the picture where he is heading back you can see he actually has two dogs.. The other one is just on the other side of that walker dog.. You can see the dog bump the brush as it walks along. No gun there.. Just a couple of illiterate dogs. :)

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Check of the pasture cam has confirmed my suspicions. That stand is dead now with the beans behind my stand to the north being cut. I haven't had a single deer go past that cam in the past 5 days. Can you guess what day the bean field was cut lol. Pulled the cam to place in another location this weekend. Going to also pull that stand and hang it in the north block this weekend. Still need to get out and shoot me a slickhead. Might even hang that sucker over by my mineral site over in the woods. I haven't been in there or had a cam hung in there since squirrel season started.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Went out this evening and got a late start as usual during the weekdays. I got into the stand at 5pm that overlooks a bean field and has a cornfield to east. I was waiting for the deer to come out of the woods and feed on the beans as they worked their way to the corn. At a couple minutes after 6 I heard some noise and looked over to see a glimpse of brown take off hauling ass north. The wind was not blowing toward her and there is no way she seen me so I don't know what that was all about unless the squirrels messing around back there scared her. That was my sightings from the stand for the evening. I got down after last shooting light and start heading back to the truck via an overgrown tractor path. I look up the path and see a doe just standing there broadside. DAMN lol. I stood there and we both watched each other for about 5min. and she went back to feeding near a downed tree that was blocking the path. She must have felt something out of sorts and had the something is watching me feel because she just slowly turned and headed north back into the cornfield on the other side of the fencerow. I ranged where she was standing after she headed off and she was at 42 yards and all I could do is stand there and watch. That SUCKED lol.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
The views from the stand for this evening.

Looking South

North

West

East

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I got out this weekend hunting at Fluteman's property. Had deer around us for a few hours on Satuday. First sit on Saturday morning we had a doe come in from down wind and behind us just a few minutes after we got in the stand and got settled in. I hadn't even goten an arrow nocked yet. She got a little nervous and took off back the way she came and not giving us a shot. Shortly after she took off we had a button buck come in from the same direction that doe did. He fed on acrons for about 45 minutes and stayed behind us again not giving us a shot.

Saturday evening found us on the same property. We had 2 yearlings (one doe and one BB ) pop up over the edge of a ridge. They came right under the stand at 10 yards and I had shots at them but I was hoping they had momma in tow but she wasn't lol. They fed on acorns to the right of us and they finally made their way up the hill heading the dirrection the 2 from the morning sit headed off to. Maybe 15-20 min. here they came back down the hill and off made their way out into a field off to our right. After they dissaperd 2 more doe came up the ridge where the yearling had first come up. The first doe took about 3 jumps and stopped. The second doe only got as far as the top of the ridge. About this time it was getting close to last shooting light and she was east of the stand looking west into the light sky so I couldn't stand up or even think about moving. I think she made me by skylining and thats why she stopped dead in her tracks where she did. She didn't stick around and headed back down the ridge. The first doe was standing about 20-25 yards from me but I could get a clear shot where she was. I noticed she was looking out into the field so I look over to the field to see what she was looking at and I noticed a huge body of a deer standing there heading right at us. I'm looking for antlers on this deer because of how big the body was and when the head came from behind a tree I notice it was a HUGE doe. This is the one I want so I turn to get ready for her to hit the 30 yard opening. As soon as I turned and went to open my stance up a bit in preperation for a shot my knee bumps the seat on the stand. It made a loud SQEAUK and the doe that was 20 yards from us picked me off and started stomping. FUGGIN deer. She got the attention of the HUGE doe and her friend that was following's attention. Both the does snap their heads up and see her stomping and they turn and bolt. FUGGGGGG. The stomping doe turns and takes off as well blowing the entire way down the top of the ridge. Then we hear about 3 others down in the bottom start blowing. GREAT !!! I guess that's the end of that deal and the end of the evening hunt. Fluteman and myself climb down the tree and by now it is getting dark enough in the woods you can only see about 40 yards but only about 20 yards clearly. Fluteman decides he is going to pull his stand out of the tree since he only had it there to film my hunts. As he is packing up his stand I look over and see 2 deer standing about 40 yards from us just watching us pack up and head out. Fuggin deer lmao.

Even though I didn't shoot a doe it was still a blast and I had a great time just watching the world go by and see some deer and take it all in with a great friend. Doesn't get any better then that.

Does Seen: 6
Bucks Seen: 2 and 2 button bucks
Deer Killed: 1 - 10pt.
Morning Hunts: 2
Evening Hunts: 4
Total Hunts: 6
Hours on Stand: 16.5
Average Time Per Hunt: 2.75 hrs.
Deer seen per hour: 1.65

Guided hunts