Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Outfitter experience

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Most of you probably don't know I recently hunted through an outfitter. The background on this is my wife finished 3yrs of schooling to become an RN. She has been an RN for about a year now. She wanted to do some things to "pay back" our family after the increase in income. She wanted to take the kids on a nice vacation and she surprised me with a week long hunt through an outfitter back in June for my birthday.

The hunt was an early season archery hunt in southern Ohio. Mainly Hocking County with a bit of his area in Vinton as well. I was hesitant as I had never done anything like this before. She caught me by surprise and I didn't have a say in the matter, so I went. I wasn't sure what to expect as I had no previous experience with any other outfitters, nor had I ever hunted the hills before. In mid to late August we took a camping trip and while her and the kids were at the pool and hiking, I spent the day with the outfitter touring the properties, looking at trail camera pictures, and getting an idea of what to expect.

My work load leading up to the hunt was hectic. I made it in just after midnight on Friday before the bow season opened. My gear was a mess and thrown in my truck, but I was confident with my bow and the gear was already washed, just not very organized. The two nights prior to my departure were 4-4.5hr sleep per night "rests", so I was tired when I got there. I slept until 8-9am and got up to eat, organize my gear, shoot my bow, and form a game plan with the outfitter.

Opening night was good. Less than 30minutes into my sit I had 2 does in range milling on the inside of the woods awaiting the right time to enter the foodplot to my right. The lead doe was terribly nervous and had a healed over broken leg. I decided I was going to shoot her just to get the season started if given the chance. After 20-30min of her skittish behavior, she finally decided she didn't like it and turned to leave. She offered a perfect quartering away shot and I had a small window I could shoot through to hit the vitals. It seemed perfect. I texted the outfitter and he told me to keep hunting. Scratching my head, I sat there until dark and watched other does across the fields. At dark I got down to find my arrow and blood. I found neither. He met me and we did a bit of a grid search for blood with no success. The next morning we headed back out and found my broken arrow. Not a trace of blood. Apparently the small window I was shooting through was a bit smaller than I thought. Oh well, I was thankful it was a clean miss. What I was able to see that night was over a dozen deer and lots of excitement!

Night number 2 brought me to a stand at a beautiful property. The property was rolling pasture with state land and Meade land behind it for thousands of acres. There was a creek and many fence rows as well as some woods. This place just screamed of potential for big bucks! I hunted a stand with anticipation and at 6pm had a yearling doe come out and feed in front of me. I thought for sure this was a great sign of early movement and there would be other deer following her. I had a shot at 32yds, but passed because I didn't want a yearling doe and I was still thinking there would be more does or hopefully a buck venture out of the same location during shooting light. I was wrong. While I did see about 10 other does come out at two different places, I never saw a buck and the does never got within bow range. I was bummed. Here is the view from the stand.

IMG00129-20110927-1810 James rear.jpg

Before I get any farther, maybe I should note I also hunted every morning but never saw a deer in any of the stands. While many were beautiful locations, they were not producing any sightings. Upon the advice of the outfitter, I did not do all day sits or any midday hunts. I am wondering if I shouldn't have taken his advice and tossed it out the window now?

Night three had me on Doug's property again. This is where I was opening night when I killed the tree limb. I was sitting on the opposite side of the ridge I had sat on two nights before. I had a perfect wind for the stand and was hoping to see some bucks which the outfitter and his helper had told me about. When a group consisting of two fawns from this year, two yearling fawns, and a mature doe popped out early, I decided to redeem myself. It took quite awhile, but the momma doe finally gave me a broadside shot opportunity! Thwack! Mule kick! She ran off the food plot to the edge of the woods where I saw her stagger a bit, then walk into the woods. I felt pretty good about this one! I had seen an exit hole, although not any blood coming out of it and a good bit high. I figured I had clipped the top of the off side lung only but after hearing her wheezing in the woods i was sure she was done. Here are the views from this stand.IMG00130-20110927-1811 Dougs.jpgIMG00130-20110927-1811 Dougs.jpgIMG00130-20110927-1811 Dougs.jpg

I was still covered in deer and had no choice but to wait until dark. During this time, I hung my bow and pulled my camcorder out of my cargo pocket. I filmed 5-6min of two young bucks sparring. They went at it over 20min total. Playfully spar, walk around and eat, back to sparring, then eat some more. . . very enjoyable to watch. At last light, I had a 130" 8pt come out and eat at 35yds. He was broadside most of the time, but I had a doe to recover and he wasn't quite what I was looking for. I am thankful for this too, because I would have had my own ethical dilemma to decide on had he been a 140-150" 8pt. lol

Once it was plenty dark and the 8pt moved off I got down to find my arrow. Blood and fat on all three vanes, but not great blood. There was another questionable tree limb, but I was sure I had missed it. Maybe she ducked the arrow or maybe I didn't bend at the waist enough? Maybe I actually had deflected off the tree limb a bit? I don't know, but the blood was very minimal and while I was certain I had heard her and seen an exit hole, I am pretty sure most of the arrow hit backstraps and the notorious "No man's land" we read about. If I had clipped off side lung, it was just barely the top of it. We backed out until morning.

In the morning, we headed back out despite the outfitter telling me to go hunt while he looked for my doe. I told him "Nope. I won't rest until I recover her or am certain she is alive." Not after my first mishap. I wasn't going to let him talk me into hunting that morning. Upon reaching the stand, we took up the blood trail again only to find ONE single drop of blood beyond the last drop we had found the night before. It showed us which direction she had taken, but unfortunately we could not find another drop. We bumped a group of 4 deer and found no blood in their beds. We performed a grid search of the area and turned up nothing. I had lost my first deer ever. I was sick to my stomach. Oh how I wish I had my blood tracking dog, Hank, with me at that point.

At this point, I was mentally shaken. The outfitter jumped me a bit about taking good shots and not shooting outside my ability. I was pissed. First doe was less than 15yds, and this one was at 25yds. One tree limb, and now this? I had learned somethings in three days. One: Under 25yds, from a tree stand, I needed to be sure I was bending at the waist/shooting a bit lower on the body, and not planning on any arc of the arrow to go over the tree limbs. Two: My confidence needed a boost. Three: This outfitter was a moody SOB.

I headed back to the cabin and pulled out my bow. 25yds- three arrows with fletchings touching. Hmmm. . . 35yds- three arrows within a group the size of a softball. Hmmmm. . . 45yds- three arrows fitting in coffee can bottom sized groups. Screw the outfitter and his lecture on my abilities. It was at this time when I realized my point of aim/bend at the waist/tree limbs were the issues. It was not my bow or me. I would not allow this guy to undermine me or throw off my confidence. I was ready to hunt!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
IMG00142-20110928-1622 James rear view 2.jpgIMG00143-20110928-1628 James rear view.jpgDay four brought much much rain. I had shot my bow, not recovered a deer, and watched the storm move in. Determined to have success and find some shooter bucks, I headed back to James' property to hunt a ground blind. The timing was perfect. I walked in during the rain, the rain cleared, and then I just saw occasional sprinkles. The deer weren't moving much, but i had time. I did see about 6 deer on this hunt, but the closest I got was a doe at 32yds which busted me while taking the range finder down from my eye. Dang. Buh-bye deer! Nothing more, so once dark settled in I packed up to head back to the cabin.

Day five brought me to the third stand set to try at the James property. I was pumped once again. To my back was thousands of acres of forests. To my front were rolling hay fields. To my right (beyond the hay fields) was a ravine with a creek in it. In front of me was a food plot 30yds wide along the edge of the woods! I was sure I would see some bucks here. It wreaked of potential. The stand was an amazing observation stand and if nothing else, the view was gorgeous. I sat, and sat, and sat, and sat. Finally at maybe 45 min till dark I saw a doe and fawn in the woods behind me. Unfortunately, they never stepped foot outside the woods and continued away from me with no shots. I was very disappointed. Here was my view:

IMG00142-20110928-1622 James rear view 2.jpgIMG00143-20110928-1628 James rear view.jpg

It wasn't until the last 30 minutes of light that I saw another deer. At this point, I saw two yearlings and a doe. Then one of this year's fawns showed up. Disappointed at my lack of sightings, and in desperate need to get the monkey off my back, I picked up my binoculars. WHile the deer were within 50yds, I wanted to verify there were no button bucks and hopefully tell which one was the momma doe. The yearlings were pretty good sized, but their bodies told me "yearlings."

To my surprise with no apparent reason, the yearlings and momma turned and walked towards me. I froze! Last thing I needed was to get busted. The wind was in my favor, but they were within 15-20yds and I didn't dare move. Bow in hand, I waiting until finally Momma decided to turn and walk away on an angle. The yearlings turned, and I drew! Now I don't remember much at this point. THings went on auto pilot and I kept thinking "Pick your exit point and bend at the waist!" Thwack! Off to the races they went! I could clearly see an exit hole with blood running out of it this time! Here are the results!

IMG00147-20110928-2024 doe entrance.jpgIMG00146-20110928-2009 doe exit.jpgIMG00144-20110928-2007 exit hole close up.jpg

The shot was still a bit higher than I would have liked, but it was fatal and it was quick! She made it maybe 100yds and piled up! Now all I had to do was figure out how to get ahold of the outfitter. Minimal cell service even at the top of this hill. Coyotes howling on the next ridge already. I was 3/4mile from my truck and I wasn't allowed to drive across the hay fields. Sent out a text and hoped for a response. Got down and found my arrow with beautiful blood on it, and started my tracking job. I put my tag on her and started to drag. Rules were "No field dressing by the tree stands." Ugh. Drag drag drag. Fortunately, my text went through this time and a quad was on it's way. What a relief that was!

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Here are my victory poses on the tail gate! Notice the TOO shirt I was sporting! Can I get some shouts out to my peeps at TOO?! Yeah yeah, representin' yo!
IMG00149-20110928-2122 doe killed.jpgIMG00150-20110928-2122 doe kill.jpg

My last night there was another property. I didn't feel I would see any good bucks at the other properties I had hunted. The trail camera pictures they showed me were spuratic and they were more heavily traveled areas. I headed off to a property in Vinton county and was ready to roll! This location screamed "big buck mecca" as well and I was high with anticipation. I found my stand and made it in very quietly. The winds were perfect again and I was sitting at the top of a power line which had been cleared off for a food plot. Behind me was a bench about 35-40 down the hill side and below it was a cliff that dropped off. If anything was traveling the bench, I felt the easiest access to the food plot (which was the only vegetation to eat in the area devoid of agriculture besides acorns and honey suckle) would be beneath me or behind me. The stand looked down the clearing for the power line so I had a great view of the food plot and off the right side of the stand I had a great view of the bench. On the other side of the power line was a ton of new growth from a previous clear cut. The bedding potential in there was amazing. It was extremely thick!

IMG00158-20110929-1612 power line.jpgIMG00159-20110929-1626 bench.jpg

Much to my surprise, I saw absolutely nothing until last light. When I saw last light, we are talking LAST light, and probably after legal shooting light. I finally had a massive doe come in at 35yds broad side. I had my binoculars on her head just to make sure she was not a small buck. She was massive. She was lucky! I would not be slinging an arrow at her at questionable light on my last night there. Wouldn't have done so the first night either at that time, but I certainly wasn't on the last night. lol

All in all, I don't think I will ever pay for a white tail hunt. Maybe a bear hunt someday, but you won't find me paying for white tails unless we are talking about something where my money was going to go to a charity as the end result. I enjoyed the hunt. The outfitter enjoyed finishing my apple pie in a gallon jug while I was hunting (without my permission.) I tried to learn as much about hunting the hill terrain as I could. I had shot opportunities every night I hunted. I passed on a decent buck and filmed a couple young bucks playing. I guess you could say it was a good hunt!

Huckleberry Finn

Great write up, Phil. I really enjoyed reading all of your hunts. I'm glad you were able to get Team #2 on the board!

You forgot what you shared in our team thread about donating the doe. Congrats again for reaching one of your season goals and helping someone in need!

tit1eist2

NW ohio
Great story...every year I think about buying a hunt and every year I say nope not paying That. I like the bear idea with a group of close friends. I hear its an absolute blast

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
sounds like you had a decent time. That stinks about the two lost does, shake that off man, you figured it out and got the redeemer shot.

Did this place have sheds, and pictures of past bucks taken off the property, etc? I know it was early season, but if it was an outfitter, you should have at least seen some bucks besides one...wondered if you thought it was sketchy or not ya know.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
sounds like you had a decent time. That stinks about the two lost does, shake that off man, you figured it out and got the redeemer shot.

Did this place have sheds, and pictures of past bucks taken off the property, etc? I know it was early season, but if it was an outfitter, you should have at least seen some bucks besides one...wondered if you thought it was sketchy or not ya know.

They had some sheds. Several very nice shed mounts in the cabin along with taking me to one of the houses of their guides that lives down the road to show me his shed collection and mounts. All his deer were taken off the leases or in the neighboring vicinity. They did have trail camera pictures from this year and from last year, as well as last year's successful hunters photos. They also allowed me to come down prior to the season to scout the areas with them and get a feel for the properties prior to showing up. Emailed me aerial/topo maps to study also. Was it everything I had hoped for? Nope. Everybody "hopes" to come home with a monster. lol Was it a nice hunt? I thought so.

In all fairness, there was only one lost deer. The first deer was a clean miss. Just killed a broadhead/arrow/ and tree limb. Sucked to start the season this way, but thankful I didn't wound her anymore. She already had a broken leg. The other one messed with my head though. I have a dog at home for the sole purpose of tracking. His only job in this world is to eat, sleep, poop, play, and track deer. To not be able to use Hank, AND to not find this doe was mentally hard on me. Just knowing I had wounded or killed but not recovered one was a mental defeat for me. I am feeling much better after killing the last doe, but losing my first one sucks.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I know how frustrating that can be phil, its tough to know that you couldnt find it. It sucks for sure. But it happens, dont let it bother you, the fact that it does bother you makes you a good hunter, a better one at that. Most guys out there wouldn;t have even worried about it or shot their bow just to make sure.

I just figure if I am paying (or someone else) that much money for a guided hunt, you expect to see a couple shooters...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I really don't know what it cost. He donated it. My wife bought it at the charity auction for our local FHFH chapter. Chapter President said she got it for about 1/2 price. Early season hunts are discounted already. Donated hunt was a "semi-guided" hunt. Not sure if any of this helps explain things or not. Just some more info to throw out there. I agree though, if you are paying for it, I would have thought they would have been onto some more bucks in the early season. Got a text last night that the outfitter's assistant had one of the big boys at 10yds but not enough light to shoot last night. The bucks are there, but just didn't seem to be moving much until last light or after dark. I hate to totally bash the outfitter on this one because I have never been on one of these hunts before. I would rather put my money in the TOO kitty and get a semi-guided hunt in the hills from one of our TOO brothers next time. ahaha Not sure if I would go on a "paid hunt" again unless it was a bear hunt.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
being the first weekend, I bet it was slow. sounds like a cool time though. I think it would be fun to get to hunt in a location that you have never seen before, that and there is some awesome views in those pictures.