Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

dantes sleepless night thread

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
The damndest thing I ever did see trying to trail a deer. I have trailed many a deer thanks to my uncle that couldn't shoot straight to save his life but, I have never seen one that didn't drop a drip of blood. He didn't stop anywhere, lay down, or rub any blood on anything. Just like he tossed the arrow and plain vanished into thin air. Plain crazy if you ask me.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sorry to hear about this, Dante... that sucks man. When I saw the pic you posted of the arrow, the first thing I though was "brisket." If your arrow hit the brisket, right at the bottom of the ribs, I could see it almost passing through and getting taken 80 to 100 yds by the deer. With all the cartilage in there, pass through is not always a guarantee. Plus, you'd hit hardly any blood vessels in that area... certainly no vitals. I'd bet my money that buck's going to live.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
White hair? I am guessing brisket. Years ago I shot a big spike in VA, yea I always had a hard on for a "Demon Deer" and yes I got him mounted, lol. Anyway it was a straight down shot at the base of my tree. He jumped and then just walked away slowly. I watched and said Fugggggg gut shot becasue I saw all this stuff hanging out. Little TOO no blood, waited 6 hours went back and there he was not more then 40 yards in the brush. Took out the boiler maker but it got all pluged up.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You may be on to something there, RD. As a matter of fact, Carpn just shot a doe last weekend... He made an absolutely perfect shot, but that doe didn't lose a single drop of blood. Luckily he had it on film, or else he would've been scratching his head, wondering what happened. She was quartering toward him, and the arrow exited through the belly, right around the diaphram area. The exit hole plugged almost instantly with fat and guts. She was dead within 70 yds of the tree, but it took a grid search to find her.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
the guy on the next property over, was a little wishy washy about letting us go in and look for it. He said "I'm not going tell you yes and I'm not going to tell you no." I had some stuff to do last night to get my truck window sealed up and get all my stuff out until I can get it replaced so last night was a wash, but once my chores around here are done this afternoon I'm thinking about going back out and look around the neighboring property. He said to stay out of eyeshot of the house, so maybe I'll go out and look around a little before it warms up to much this week.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
the guy on the next property over, was a little wishy washy about letting us go in and look for it. He said "I'm not going tell you yes and I'm not going to tell you no." I had some stuff to do last night to get my truck window sealed up and get all my stuff out until I can get it replaced so last night was a wash, but once my chores around here are done this afternoon I'm thinking about going back out and look around the neighboring property. He said to stay out of eyeshot of the house, so maybe I'll go out and look around a little before it warms up to much this week.

What the hell kind of answer is that??? I don't understand why somebody would tell you "no" when looking for a deer. Unless he was planning on hunting in there that day or seomthing. I would take that anwer as a yes and look on his property.