Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Either Sex permit

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I found this pretty funny.

Anybody look at their Deer either sex permit yet lol.

Look at the effective dates. Mine says " 8/31/11 - 2/29/12 "

Now if deer season only runs from 9/24/11 - 2/5/12

Why the extra days on there lol.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The dates on permits aren't the usable dates. They should change it to better reflect the seasons that they're usable in.. But if someone is getting their season dates off their tag and not the book, they're in bigger trouble than that.

camofry

*Supporting Member*
There is a resson for the dates being that way. I could tell you what it is but it is top secret. I cant tell you what it is in a IM. I will say in the open forum, for you guys that dont like this new checking sys, your realy not going to like this one.lol

Buckslayer

*Supporting Member*
Jackson County
There is a resson for the dates being that way. I could tell you what it is but it is top secret. I cant tell you what it is in a IM. I will say in the open forum, for you guys that dont like this new checking sys, your realy not going to like this one.lol

Well...???

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Well...???

Yeah what he said lol. I don't get why it runs until 2/29/12

I get the start date as being the day you purchased it but that still doesn't explain why it states it's good after the season.

I agree with Jlope on the fact people should never go by the dates printed on the tags and should look at the reg. book or the DNR website but I'm sure there are people that go by the permit every year as stupid as that is. Heck even the extra doe permits are saying the same effective date ending 2/29/12.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yeah what he said lol. I don't get why it runs until 2/29/12

I get the start date as being the day you purchased it but that still doesn't explain why it states it's good after the season.

I agree with Jlope on the fact people should never go by the dates printed on the tags and should look at the reg. book or the DNR website but I'm sure there are people that go by the permit every year as stupid as that is. Heck even the extra doe permits are saying the same effective date ending 2/29/12.

It's because that's the last day hunting licenses are valid... Day you bought the tag until the last day the license is valid.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
It's because that's the last day hunting licenses are valid... Day you bought the tag until the last day the license is valid.

Bunny season goes until the 2/29/12 and crow until 3/12/12 and those would be on the small game permits anyway so I still don't get why deer permits have those end dates.

The paper these things are printed on at the store are blank green paper with the ODNR logo. The ODNR needs to change the dates on the file for deer tags and stop being lazy and putting the same date on all tags. Wouldn't take that much effort to make the deer tags their own dates.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Everything I have says 2-29-12.. Even the one day range permit I got durring the TOO gathering. My fishing, hunting, range, and deer tags all say 2-29-12... All except for my fall turk permit it says 11-24-11...

How could they put the end date on antlerless permits and it be correct when they have diferent dates that end depending on the zone. Plus the tag is still good in urban and controlled hunts till the end of deer season. Sure they could just put the end of deer season bit its still wrong depending on the zone. So we habe the same issue.. Maybe it should just say "valid durring the 2011-2012 deer season (see regs for details)...

camofry

*Supporting Member*
It was suppost to say I CAN tell you in IM. Joes right on the last day of all the sessons, BUT some of us are going to be screwed that trap beaver cus some places run beaver til the end of March and that means we have to buy a new lic. to finish the sesson. I hear that the date you buy the lic is on there for investigation ressons. Now, with being said, if you read the laws (not the book they give you when you get your tag) it says everyone in pursuit of a wild animal needs a lic . For example 4 men coon hunting , only 1 has a gun, All 4 still need a lic. I like the new call in sys, but I think it is going to bite us in the ass before its all said and done.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Everything I have says 2-29-12.. Even the one day range permit I got durring the TOO gathering. My fishing, hunting, range, and deer tags all say 2-29-12... All except for my fall turk permit it says 11-24-11...

How could they put the end date on antlerless permits and it be correct when they have diferent dates that end depending on the zone. Plus the tag is still good in urban and controlled hunts till the end of deer season. Sure they could just put the end of deer season bit its still wrong depending on the zone. So we habe the same issue.. Maybe it should just say "valid durring the 2011-2012 deer season (see regs for details)...

I think that would be the best way to go about it IMO.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
It was suppost to say I CAN tell you in IM. Joes right on the last day of all the sessons, BUT some of us are going to be screwed that trap beaver cus some places run beaver til the end of March and that means we have to buy a new lic. to finish the sesson. I hear that the date you buy the lic is on there for investigation ressons. Now, with being said, if you read the laws (not the book they give you when you get your tag) it says everyone in pursuit of a wild animal needs a lic . For example 4 men coon hunting , only 1 has a gun, All 4 still need a lic. I like the new call in sys, but I think it is going to bite us in the ass before its all said and done.

I get that and have no problem with the date on the small animal and fur takers permits but putting the end date for deer season almost a month over isn't right. I think Jlope had the best way to fix it IMO. At least in that form it doesn't give you false / misleading information.

Also, according to that law even the camera guys have to have a hunting license. At least the way I understand it.

(Y) “Hunting” means pursuing, shooting, killing, following after or on the trail of, lying in wait for, shooting at, or wounding wild birds or wild quadrupeds while employing any device commonly used to kill or wound wild birds or wild quadrupeds whether or not the acts result in killing or wounding. “Hunting” includes every attempt to kill or wound and every act of assistance to any other person in killing or wounding or attempting to kill or wound wild birds or wild quadrupeds.

camofry

*Supporting Member*
I get that and have no problem with the date on the small animal and fur takers permits but putting the end date for deer season almost a month over isn't right. I think Jlope had the best way to fix it IMO. At least in that form it doesn't give you false / misleading information.

Also, according to that law even the camera guys have to have a hunting license. At least the way I understand it.

(Y) “Hunting” means pursuing, shooting, killing, following after or on the trail of, lying in wait for, shooting at, or wounding wild birds or wild quadrupeds while employing any device commonly used to kill or wound wild birds or wild quadrupeds whether or not the acts result in killing or wounding. “Hunting” includes every attempt to kill or wound and every act of assistance to any other person in killing or wounding or attempting to kill or wound wild birds or wild quadrupeds.

That is the point I was trying to make. Everyone running Trail Cams and then hunting where you had the Camera will be pursuing. Just to play it safe, I would buy my Lic on the first day it can be bought. Being a ADC trapper, I have to have a lic year round but before this new sys there was times I could not get one til July or after.