Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio Badger

tit1eist2

NW ohio
2 years ago my friend's mom had one at their house. She thought it was just a groundhog the kids were trying to screw with so she went out to chase it with a broom stick. lol she didn't chase long. They called the GW and they came out shot it and took it. This was west of Findlay. If the GW hadn't taken it I been trying to learn taxidermy a little and was just gonna go kill it myself and try stuffin it.

camofry

*Supporting Member*
Out of season coon is like a 250 dollar fine.. You believe that crap..
I think they take how meany offsring they will have or father over there life and pass that cost off to you in fines. I dont like poachers no more then the next guy, but I dont see how they (odnr) come up with some of the things they do.

Garrison

Great pics guys. I didn't know we had them in Ohio.

I'm in Cincinnati and, yes, there are badgers here now! As a matter of fact, I'm currently undergoing rabies treatment for being bit by one! Just ask the Cincinnati Health Department if you don't believe me!:smiley_crocodile::smiley_blackeye:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'm in Cincinnati and, yes, there are badgers here now! As a matter of fact, I'm currently undergoing rabies treatment for being bit by one! Just ask the Cincinnati Health Department if you don't believe me!:smiley_crocodile::smiley_blackeye:

I think those things are born with rabies they're so mean.. Did you kill it so they could look at it's brain to see if it indeed had rabies.

Big H

Medina
I saw one in Northern Ohio when I was about 10 or 12 and my dad basically told me I was full of crap, that it was a groundhog. I know what I saw because I had seen them on Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. He still never believed me.

Garrison

I think those things are born with rabies they're so mean.. Did you kill it so they could look at it's brain to see if it indeed had rabies.

Alright, I'll report the entire encounter.... on 23 September, 2011, I was enjoying a few Saranac Stouts on my porch with a few front lights off (utility bills kill) and watching the local racoon crowd raid my local cat's (Miracle & Inki) food when, somewhat suddenly, the coons scattered and I was left alone. Well, a few moments later I felt something brush behind my calves and headed for the cat dish so I, with outstanding stupidity and imbibing, reached down and picked up what I assumed was my kitty. NO! It was a badger and, I being rather amazed and inebriated, was rather surprised by the fact that the creature was flat, had a conical head, and was rather ruddy hued than most of the badgers I've seen in nature films. I was also rather interested that the creature that the animal was hissing rather barking or snorting, but it did claw, spit, and grazingly orally slash my right thumb. Well, after a few moments reality came back to me and I realized "What the fugg am I doing?" and pitched the badger across my driveway! Well, I started to show a few flu like symptoms and went to Good Samaritan Hospital, who did a saliva test and, yes, I was rabid! So, I've been undergoing the shots for a few weeks now... so's how's your life?

camofry

*Supporting Member*
I hear tell that there not as bad as they use to be 10 years or so back when I took my last round of them. The first time I took them was at the age of 8, for a ground hog bite to the face (long story) and the last time was 10 or 11 years ago for a bite from a gray fox. At that time it was 13 shots to the belly button. The first time was 15 shots about 2in below the belly button. How are the shots given now and where?

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I hear tell that there not as bad as they use to be 10 years or so back when I took my last round of them. The first time I took them was at the age of 8, for a ground hog bite to the face (long story) and the last time was 10 or 11 years ago for a bite from a gray fox. At that time it was 13 shots to the belly button. The first time was 15 shots about 2in below the belly button. How are the shots given now and where?

are you serious? OUCH!!

Garrison

Since I think you're asking me about the rabies shots and not the quality of badger bites <G>, I'll have to say that the shots weren't that bad (no longer the horrible long-needle-through-the-stomach-to-spine jobbies). Basically, a pair of nurses flipped me over and gave me a quartet of upper thigh intramuscular injections (yep... ass shots), along with an arm shot and, just to be sure, a tetanus shot (hey, I'm good for five years now!) so that I didn't get blood poisoning. So I had my second shot on 6 October and will be having my third on 20 October, and that should finish that.

Meanwhile, I discovered where the badger lives (lived?)... an interesting looking burrow (something like a giant anthill, but with dirt rather than sand) situated on the border between my property
and Baltimore Pike Cemetery property. I haven't seen the mean mustelidae by my cat's dish again, though, so I think it's gone to the big badger burrow in the sky!

saddlepants

central Ohio
There is a Wolverine in Coshocton county and It had small footprints behind it a few years back. I saw it and three others at diff times. they are scary too and dont belong this far south