Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Automated Game Check System

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You have to go to a check station or do it online as a landowner, which is the dumbest fucking thing I have ever heard. How many landowners in BFF Ohio do not have internet, computers, and/or printers? A bunch of them. So now they have to drive to a check station and the availability of those is much less than it has been in the past and you have to rely on them being open. Now you have a guy who is supposed to check in his deer before 11:30PM the day of the harvest and he has no where to do so. It's bullshit and as a landowner and someone who tags 99% of their deer as such, it really chaps my ass...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yea, the landowner thing is fucking ridiculous. How hard could it have been to add ONE option to the automated system?.... "Press 1 for DOW deer permit, press 2 for landowner permit." You guys know me... I'm behind what the ODNR does 90% of the time... but this just absolutely baffles me to no end. I almost had a coronary when I tried to check my doe in over the phone back in October and the first thing I heard was "Please enter the (blank)-digit number on your deer permit." - "I don't have a permit number you sons-a-bitches! It's a landowner tag!" Now if I were a guy living out in the sticks of SO, there's a damn good chance I would have just said hell with it and cut the deer up without ever checking it in. They (ODOW) really dropped the ball on this one, IMO.

Bowkills

Nw oh
It's funny searching these ten year old responses as I was just looking for a common telecheck thread. I just want to say since telecheck is all digital with no Requirements of speaking anymore . It's a damn lot of number typing. I was getting almost flustered by the end....when did we stop speaking into the phone? My memory sucks probably started it a few years ago I just can't recall.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I downloaded the app. It is the absolutely easiest way to check in a deer. Phone in takes about an hour (or so it feels). Online is a bit easier. The app is simple and fast.

Reactions: Isaacorps and Mike

Bowkills

Nw oh
I downloaded the app. It is the absolutely easiest way to check in a deer. Phone in takes about an hour (or so it feels). Online is a bit easier. The app is simple and fast.
Technology is a bitch. I tried getting the onx app Sunday and u have to know ur phone user passwords to download apps.

Buckkillr

Athens
Technology is a bitch. I tried getting the onx app Sunday and u have to know ur phone user passwords to download apps.
I use huntstand pro app, never had ONX so can't say whats better but it's half price and works in entire U.S. ONX you gotta pay for out of state if I read right

Yep. Sure is. I did my doe on Saturday. Did it before I gutted her. Wasn't in phone range at the time, so it held it until it got signal. Checked it a while later and it had gone thru and I could see my confirmation number.

Best part I think is you no longer have to print out deer permits or license. I wish PA would go to the same system.

Reactions: giles and Isaacorps