Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Automated Game Check System

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
As far as metal tags I have a fair amount laying around if anyone wants to "collect " them.

What's the point if I didn't kill it?

I understand it's easier, but why not allow those of us who want to tag it in down at the corner store continue to do so? I don't support the notion that we should all be forced to use technology to remove a part of tradition. Furthermore, I believe this system will provide skewed numbers which will then be skewed even more by the DNR as they attempt to coddle us. IMO, it promotes not checking in deer far more than the old system does. That may not be the case statewide, but I believe it to be the case in the "lawless" backwoods of southern Ohio.

"Well shit Bubba, we done got her all cut up and forgot to call that dang number..."

"Fuck it dude. Just save the tag for the next time..."

It'll happen with either system, but I see it happening more often now...

camofry

*Supporting Member*
Another up side to it is there is a more up-to-date count. Opening weekend, 3,821 deer were taken by bowhunters. With to old sys this would not be known til the 3rd week of sesson. I had heard that the cost of the metel tag was in the range of $7 to $9 bucks each to make, distribute and all the paper work for them. If they would have stayed with them , the lic fee would have jumped in a big way.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Jesse, did they do away with the checkin at your local spot? There are still gas stations, markets up here where you can still go do it, u just get a number though.

I'm totally against the new system. Easier in many ways, but has a downside IMO. How many guys are going to take a buck, get it home, check it in online or by phone and say it is a doe? I'm thinking more than we realize or want to admit. Or like Jesse said, never check it in at all. I think our buck numbers will drop in a big way over the next ten years or less.

I have always wanted the opportunity to take more than one buck a year. I have always said I would be willing to pay a big premium for the purchase of a second buck tag. Now, the state has offered me that second tag for free. Don't get me wrong, I would never shoot a buck and check it in as a doe. But, it could easily be done, which I feel is a big blunder by the ODNR.

Last edited:

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
Well, since I actually plan on going hunting for the first time this season in the next few days, I got on the ODNR website and purchased an either sex permit. The purchasing process was easy and painless. Can't wait to the AGC system when I kill one.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Another up side to it is there is a more up-to-date count. Opening weekend, 3,821 deer were taken by bowhunters. With to old sys this would not be known til the 3rd week of sesson. I had heard that the cost of the metel tag was in the range of $7 to $9 bucks each to make, distribute and all the paper work for them. If they would have stayed with them , the lic fee would have jumped in a big way.
I seriously doubt the cost of the metal tags and paperwork were that high. What difference does it make to anyone how quickly we know the kill numbers for opening weekend? Really, it isn't like they would change any of the regulations in the middle of the season if they felt there were too many or too few being killed. When I was a kid, a lic was 7 dollars, a deer tag was 10. They were actually durable enough to last for years ( I still have several) and came with their very own string already attached. The regulations were a short listing on a piece of paper. I think it would be far more effecient to save money printing a glossy regulation "book", and perhaps manufacture metal tags and real hunting license. Save money where it makes sense, but not to the point of selling crap on printer paper. And, gawd forbid you carry them in your wallet for a wet weekend hunt and get caught without a "readable" copy....then you can pay a ticket because the new lic SUCK!

I realize my thoughts are pointless, but I felt the need to share.:smiley_arrogant:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
And btw, I agree with Jesse. I miss the old check stations. I always stopped in to see what was brought in even if I didn't have one to tag. It was the social hub of hunting in our neck of the woods.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
And btw, I agree with Jesse. I miss the old check stations. I always stopped in to see what was brought in even if I didn't have one to tag. It was the social hub of hunting in our neck of the woods.

Even that's automated now.... Welcome to TOO.. lmao

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Just checked in a deer on the DOW site. It was a breeze. Still, I liked going to a check station and buying a Pepsi and candybar a little more.

Huckleberry Finn

Did the telecheck on Saturday. Idiot proof, but still retarded. Just not the same.

My dad asked me "What the heck are you doing, don't you have to drive into town?" Nope. "Oh, well. I guess ODRN just doesn't care how many deer people kill, that's all. They will change the system in a few years again."

camofry

*Supporting Member*
Did the telecheck on Saturday. Idiot proof, but still retarded. Just not the same.

My dad asked me "What the heck are you doing, don't you have to drive into town?" Nope. "Oh, well. I guess ODRN just doesn't care how many deer people kill, that's all. They will change the system in a few years again."

People that dont check them now, IMOA would not have checked them with the old way.

if i remember right , one of the check stations i went to all the time when i lived in morristown , the owner said they got paid for having the check station , i dont know how much , but in this economy every little bit would have helped

tritonbill

NE Ohio
I checked two deer online as a landowner. It was definitely easy.

Some feedback from the butcher/processor.... They don't like writing down those long tag numbers over and over in their logs compared to the shorter number on the metal tags.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
People that dont check them now, IMOA would not have checked them with the old way.

I have to disagree with this statement to a degree. Sure, there is some validity to that statement. However, I believe this system makes it even easier to no tag in deer. What you are saying is true, but what you are missing IMO is the addition of people who were tagging in deer under the old system who are now given a much easier route to not tagging in their deer. Here is a perfect example of why this system is flawed...

Tracie shot her deer late on a Sunday night. We stop at the check station to tag it in because we can't as landowners call it in. (Which is completely retarded.) We do not have a printer at home and my parents were not home to do it there. The printer at the check station was down and they could not tag it in. At this point, it is late Sunday night and we are cold, tired, and hungry... Yet we have to play bullshit games to get this deer tagged in. The closest check stations to us, were closed. I won't go in to details as to how/when this deer got tagged. Suffice it to say, it was tagged and the DNR got their number, but it was a pain in the ass. It was a cluster fuck from start to finish...

Huckleberry Finn

You've got to be shitting me? Landowners can't call their tags in? I guess when I did mine I didn't pay attention to that. Now THAT is the dumbest thing ever. A guy who doesn't have a dime invested into a license or tag and is supposed to take the deer off their property to go tag it in, with a fuggin index card? Hahaha.

I'll say it again, ODNR just doesn't care. I fully believe they could give two pennies left if people check deer in or not.