Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Turkey help

saddlepants

central Ohio
Hey guys, I have often had the opp to take a fall bird but I have no idea how to field dress one. I only need to see it once to be able to do it. Anybody know of a video available or??? I want to start spring Turkey hunting now that I choose my own hours and Looking forward to snaggin some Yotes soon but I want a new rifle for that first...just waitin on the $$$$

Derek j

Knox Co.
Not sure what everyone else on the board thinks, but my personal opinion is the breast is the only thing worth eating. There isn't a whole lot of meat on the legs or wings, and what little you do get is tougher than leather anyways. Easiest way to do it is pluck the feathers on the chest/breast area, then make a cut in the skin from the neck to "belly". Once you have the skin cut, just start fleshing it back like you would a deer to expose the breast meat. once it is exposed, slowly cut the breast meat out. Pretty easy once you do it. If you've ever breasted out a duck or goose, its pretty much the same.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Not sure what everyone else on the board thinks, but my personal opinion is the breast is the only thing worth eating. There isn't a whole lot of meat on the legs or wings, and what little you do get is tougher than leather anyways. Easiest way to do it is pluck the feathers on the chest/breast area, then make a cut in the skin from the neck to "belly". Once you have the skin cut, just start fleshing it back like you would a deer to expose the breast meat. once it is exposed, slowly cut the breast meat out. Pretty easy once you do it. If you've ever breasted out a duck or goose, its pretty much the same.

I'll echo all of the above...

Hit up YouTube and search "breasting a turkey" and you'll see some videos that take you through the process. Good old YouTube can be quite the educator!

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I wouldnt waste the resty of the bird though. I put my spring turkey on the grill whole this year. skined it, wrapped it in bacon, smoked it. I will agree that the legs and thighs are tough and plan on using them for turkey soup or turkey jerkey next time.

be forewarned, they stink when you cut in to em. I thought mine was rotten or something. nope, they just smell that way.

saddlepants

central Ohio
Hey thanks a ton! What do you do in the spring if you want a trophy? Uglycat - that was a great video. easy to see and he did a nice clean job the only concern I have is with him talking about selling the feathers. According to my understanding of federal laws in Ohio you cannot posses turkey feathers (or parts of any federally protected species) without a tag just as you cannot possess deer parts. I was even told you really cannot even pick up the feathers on the ground from Ohio Turkey (technically). So I guess I'd be afraid to sell them on ebay, lol.

Last edited:

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
According to my understanding of federal laws in Ohio you cannot posses turkey feathers (or parts of any federally protected species) without a tag just as you cannot possess deer parts.

that sucks. I just gave a friend the wing feathers from my spring turkey to fletch arrows with.

What do you do in the spring if you want a trophy?

best advice I can give, take as many different types of calls as you can with you. you never know what ole tom wants to hear.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
For a full mount I wouldn't gut it. Just place it in a big plastic garbage bag, ice it down in a cooler, and get it to the taxi asap.

Exactly! Don't do anything to it if that is the case. If possible, take it right to the taxidermist. If you can't get there that day, tuck the head under a wing and neatly place in a large trash bag. Then place in a fridge/freezer till you can get to the taxi.

saddlepants

central Ohio
Thanks a ton Guys - now I wont be so hesitant to draw on one when they are so damn close. I actually had an old Tom lay down for a NAP in a sun pocket right under my stand once. I shot right over his back so close I heard the fletchings skim his back. I found out that day after missing on a nice buck the same way that there was a problem with my crossbow. But have you ever seen a turkey do that? Nap on the ground? I figure he was old and beat up...he was alone but his beard nearly drug the ground.

Hey thanks a ton! What do you do in the spring if you want a trophy? Uglycat - that was a great video. easy to see and he did a nice clean job the only concern I have is with him talking about selling the feathers. According to my understanding of federal laws in Ohio you cannot posses turkey feathers (or parts of any federally protected species) without a tag just as you cannot possess deer parts. I was even told you really cannot even pick up the feathers on the ground from Ohio Turkey (technically). So I guess I'd be afraid to sell them on ebay, lol.

i sit at home and watch every one else on here post pics , lol, i still havent shot my first bird