Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What should I expect when hunting a heavily farmed area

Gordo

Athens County
Ive been looking for a property to hunt which is heavily farmed down here in south eastern ohio for a while and finally hit the mother load. Its about 500 acres loaded with alphalpha, corn, and soy beans.

Not sure how much of a role its going to play this year because of the late start I had on accessing it.

Anyway I'm just wondering what to expect in terms of the preferred food source at different times of the year. Ive never hunted land like this so really have limited knowledge.

I'm also wondering the effects on the herd once the farmer starts to harvest his crops.

At this point I've looked at alot of maps and tried to find the obvious pinch points, and have walked a good portion of the place 1 time.

I'll be going out there again soon to hang a couple cameras and do a little scouting and would like some more stuff to factor in while doing so. Thanks

Gordo

Athens County
Another quick question.

Bedding areas: generally, are preferred bedding sites still in the thick strips of timber, or will these deer bed up right in the middle of the ag fields? I know its all circumstantial but what do you guys see more of?

Huckleberry Finn

Post an aerial of the property if you can, always has been helpful for me to have other guys look at them.

As far as the crops, obviously you'll see a shift in the deer's interest. Corn is king, there's a great thread about hunting in corn somewhere. Beans get mowed down too. Once the crops are down, the deer will travel through the fields at night but not straight across during the day, unless it's gun season.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Corn is king. But i wouldn't overlook the acorns. Deer like variety and acorns are a hot draw this time of year. Also. Between the corn and alphalpha I would go with the alphalpha.. Lush greens heading into fall is always a good bet. If you can find an edge or transition point that is close to or in between all 3 I think you'll be good to go..

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Depends on how much timber there is and what stage the crops are in... My beans are at the yellow stage so the deer arent hitting them as much, but once the forage dies then they will be in after the actual beans. Theres alot of corn on my property also so theres a good chance they are bedding and eating right in there. I have very little timbe for an acorn mass or thats where I would be hunting right now. This time of year acorns are usually what they are after. Like FINN said if we can see an ariel or hybrid we could help you alot more! Good luck

Gordo

Athens County
I'm gonna skip on the aerial map. I was able to pick it out on an aerial map way to easy. I trust all you immediate posters but too many other yahoos with a internet connection. I want to be able to post trail cam pics and details without having to worry about it. I have learned alot already from the threads where others have, and thats appreciated.

As for timber, I'd say around 15 percent, so acorns are present and I'll be looking for them this afternoon. I'll be heading out in a couple hours to hang a cam and cover some serious ground.

The farmer said he thinks the deer are primarily bedding in the woodlots and then hitting the fields at night, but I could imagine the mature bucks never leaving the thick cover of an ag field, except for maybe a drink a water and some love.

There is a great pinch point with a hell of a bench that connects all three crops. At its narrowest point its only about 40 yards wide. Im gonna scout some tree's out today as that should be a great starting point.

There's also a great isolated pond, which is very small but really stuck out to me my first time at the farm as being a solid source of water. One of the few that I saw on my intial walk through. It was too washed out at the time to be able to see any tracks, but you gotta believe that could be a hot spot.

What I'm wondering is once the beans and corn are harvested is what to expect. I remember the farmer saying he plants something else, I just cant remember what. I'll hopefully run into him today to ask him some more questions.

Thanks for the responses

Huckleberry Finn

I've never seen anything immediate planted making an effect on the deer that I hunt...ie winter wheat doesn't come up fast enough to make a difference. Deer will scrounge through a picked bean or corn field first IMO - or hit food plots and corn piles, where that alfalfa might come into play.

Sounds like that pond is a good place for this early season and rut, as well as the pinch point!

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Sounds like the 3 way saddle is a natrual given.... Once the crops are off then all beats are off, just dont pressure them too much in to woods and run them off. Its better to have scouted 3 days and hunt 1 to keep this place from being over hunted especially if theres only 15% woods. I have a property im dealing with the EXACT same issue right now, its got more crops than fencerows and woods combined but the trail cameras dont lie.... the boys are there! The key is to have an appropriate approach for each wind and day that you hunt. Hunting to hunt will burn a place with little cover out real quick.... Best of luck man!

Ok as I hunt over 1000 acers around my house and only 200 of it is CPR or woods , with the rest farm feilds
A number of 5 - 15 acer wood lots

Yes deer tend to stay in the corn till it is cut ......err most
But some deer , especaily does will stay in CPR feilds or woods

And yes a buck will bed in the middle of a 300 acer bean field

I have found you actualy need more stands than you would think
As the deer will change where they enter/exit for no reason

I have a 30' wide 200 yd long hedge row that is a deer magnet , but almost imposible to hunt till the beans are off as it is surounded by a field

Find a spot where the deer pass just inside the woods edge
Preferrable to be the east side of the woods

As many times if you try and get far into a small woods , the deer leave
So I have stands 10' in

And don't overlook small woods / hedge rows or CPR close to the house or barn
As the deer will bed closer than you would think

John

saddlepants

central Ohio
IMO opinion your best bet for green fields are fields that are secluded and not in view from any roads. I normally hunt the inside corners of such fields that border a woodlot. These corners can be good spots for evening hunts with the correct wind situation.

Im really with you on this one. Around here I start to see them come out into the edges of still standing corn or cut feilds as early as 3 in the afternoon staying close to the woodline. My favorite standds have been Just inside the woodline with clear shots into the field and near definite worn entry/ exit paths. Just before the corn is to be cut or at the same time the farmer is doing it Ive seen great success with baiting piles of corn just inside that same woodline. They will glean a cut field as long as they keep finding something. Its up to you to make it keep appearing. Ive seen the biggest bucks crossing these same fields and many others ( I cant hunt:( ) just after sunrise headed for cover. If its in his regualr territory before he gets rut crazed you can almost set your clocks by them. Corners like Hortontoter speaks of are great evening spots IMO.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
It has already been said I will add to it TOO. Inside corners of ag fields are GREAT spots. If I acquire a new property the first place I will hang a stand is an inside corner. It just works. I don't know why they like them they just do. Best of luck with your new property and I hope you get some good pics with your cam.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Inside corners are the ticket. Around my area you cant go 1 mile without a road, so seclusion makes a huge difference. If you have a secluded field they will hit that before traveling in the open within sight of humans to hit a more desirable food source.