Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jackalope's Huntin Log.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
This AM found me in a stand situated between an upper and a lower corn field. I was woefully under-dressed for the sunrise. The Fog was so thick i could see the mist a foot in front of my face in my red headlamp. The sun rose and the wind started in... And the fog burned off and turned into rain off the trees... By 10:30 i was soaked, shivering, and done. Not a deer sighted.

PM.

Around 3:30 I took The 5 LW sticks and a big non mobile stand in to the spot where the 8s and tank have been on cam... Got that beast hung. Settled in for a very comfy sit. Didn't see a thing until about 10 min of light left. Had a crab claw buck come in out of the corn behind me. He had somewhere to be though and didn't waste any time at the salt block. Came in behind the cam also.. Milled around for a minute or two then went on down the creek line. Makes ya wonder what those cams miss.. Would have shot some film on the new cam but i hit record and realised the SD card was in my laptop after looking at some test footage i shot in the am of a squirrel. :smiley_blackeye:..

I'll try and dig up a TC pic of that buck..

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Just noticed something.. He showed up today about the same time give or take a minute that he did last monday... Except today he went behind the cam.. I wonder if that dude goes through there every day.. Like's he's gotta go to work or something.. Pulls out of the garage at the same time every day. lmao

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Where oh where could my tankey be.
I have not seen him from a tree
Is he here, or is he there
I have not seen him hide nor hair
I see a big rub over there.
I want to go look but I don't dare.
The rub is over a rusty fence
The neighbor hunts but he has no sense.
So I picked a tree just on my side.
A boundary hunter until I die.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I've been covered up in deer all morning. 3 small bucks and 4 does so far in 3 groups.. One of the bucks was actually grunting at the doe. He wasn't dogging her. Just hanging around and following... lmao. Thats gonna be a long wait buddy.

The yotes in here have these deer skittish as hell.. A hedge apple would fall and away they would go.. Only to come right back.. Then two deer were messing around about 15 yards when a yote came off the hill and ran them off... 10 minutes later a doe came through hit the yotes trail and turned around hauling ass. Then snuck back and did it again... Then snuck almost back and finally the third time she took off for good. lmao.

Just had a big ole fox squirrel walk out to the end of a limb about 5 feet infront of my face... Sucker was gonna jump right on my head.. He was eye level and about to jump at me when I waved at him and he went back about 4 feet then kept looking like wtf is that... Went back some more and turned around again like wtf... lmao.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I plan to trap and snare the shit out of them come January. They have these deer so far on edge its nuts... They spend most of the time scanning the woods and looking at sounds.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That sucks, but look on the bright side. They're distracted from looking for you.
I hate yotes.., dirty little fuggers

It would have been fun if they were calm, even at 24 feet if i would have moved i bet they would have busted me. They were on high alert for the slightest sound or movement. That yote was upwind of them on top of the hill. They could smell him but not see him.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Had about a 150 class at 15 yards at Last light...

I don't want to talk about it.

Last edited:

Gordo

Athens County
Been there before. Gotta suck that shit up and get back after it.

Happened to me last year. I wanted to dive head first out of my tree. I went drinking instead...